Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Some of the extremely anal nut jobs around here provide an invaluable service

However, if the American psychological association ever read this forum, the membership of this site would drop by 40%. Unless the treatment centers allow internet access.

Take it with a grain of salt. Buy a warranty and case. Don't sit on your phone or watch movies in complete darkness.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I think the posts trying to rationalize why other people are wrong for choosing a 6+ instead of a 6 are far more annoying that the few on issues with their phones.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
The items in the first post.

but he mentioned all phones not specifically the plus. there have been 3 bent phones. 1 6 bent by force, 1 6 plus bent in pant, 1 6 plus bent out of the box. all phones since launch have had home button issues.

billycuth

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2010
Honestly, what on earth is going on with these posts.

I didn't get my phone yet and I am already worried about slanted text on the back, bent iPhones for being in the pockets, loose home buttons, and other issues (that are not really that serious).

But now I'm aware of these and it sucks, I should really stop reading here, it's contagious.

My shipped phone was left on my driveway near my garage and attacked by an animal. The packaging was pretty damaged. The phone is flawless. It's all OK.

ByJAmdMCcAAN1rm.jpg

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
There's always wild speculation on these forums about the number of defects in the devices sold. People give numbers to the amount of defects all the time, and though they're all just rampant speculation, they treat their numbers as facts. Most of the posts on forums are complaints, because people are looking for solutions to problems that they either have, or perceive that they have. While it's true that there are more complaint posts on forums, it's not valid when people base numbers on the theory that anyone not posting on a forum is not having problems. I'm sure that there are people who, when sold an item with a defect, don't waste their time posting here or anywhere else. They just go back to the Apple store or Best Buy or whereever, and get their phone exchanged or serviced. Lots of people spend time on forums, know about them, and use them, but when I mention macrumors to many of my friends, they have no idea what I'm talking about. That includes Apple and Android users. This forum has a LOT of members, but is in no way representative of what the general population knows or doesn't know.

The only people who truly know the number of defects is Apple, because they're the ones that get all of the returns and exchanges. And you'll never get those number out of Apple.

If you're interested in the iPhone 6 or 6 Plus, give it a try. You have nothing to lose, because if it's not for you, you can just return it and pick right back up with your current phone. If you get one and it's defective, just bring it back.

jonbravo77

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
A coworker brought his iPhone 6 to me yesterday to look at so I saw it in person and it was gorgeous, the icons really popped on screen almost looked like they were 3D or something it looked really amazing! The thing is I'm not going to notice little things such as some apps look fuzzy (not optimized yet hopefully), photos look fuzzy on the edges, back text is crooked, glass is partially separated in one spot, screen is yellow, etc etc without using my own for hours or a day or 2 so just looking at one for a few min isn't going to help aside from getting an overall picture of yes this looks great or not.

I'm just trying to justify in my head how it could be even near worth $750 to upgrade from my iPhone 5 and honestly I don't think it would be worth it when the one I have still has awesome battery, looks great, does what I need it to do, etc etc. I do have a feeling too that Apple may release a refreshed version like 6S or something in a year or so from now that possibly will have a better camera, more RAM, redesigned bezzle, etc and that would really piss me off if I didn't wait for that! :)

And that's cool. But just make your own decision. Try not to solely base your decision on what some say on forums. That's all I'm getting at.

darkonex

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
WHAAT ?!! Is this an issue with some iPhone 6's ?!

It appears so, there are several threads in here with pictures showing it. Somebody said something about them increasing sharpening too high could cause it or something like that. Maybe it's due to the sapphire glass over the camera? Who knows but it appears to be an issue. :(

Edit - Just found this thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1784108/ and these pictures look phenominal! So dunno what to think now but those look really nice!

Last edited:

kovey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
These forums really are toxic, unfortunately. You've got a bunch of crappy people that complain just because they'll complain about anything. They're contrarians. Disagreeing with popular opinion, even if it means them literally making things up, makes them feel special as if they know what's really going on.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

I didn't get my phone yet and I am already worried about slanted text on the back, bent iPhones for being in the pockets, loose home buttons, and other issues (that are not really that serious).

But now I'm aware of these and it sucks, I should really stop reading here, it's contagious.

You forgot about the yellow screen.

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Don't sweat it, it is just a phone.

There are far more important things in life to consider and if you have a problem with your phone, apple is great about taking care of it.

And yes, this forum is extremely unhealthy because it promotes one of the most self destructive habits in modern society...living for and constantly being on computer devices.

Stay off the Internet and enjoy life..

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

When you get your new phone, use it. And if a problem arises that appears to be hardware, make a Genius appointment. If a problem arises that appears to be software related, do a search on the forum to see if others have experienced the same or similar problems.

There is no need to have an anxiety attack over what some people may be saying on the internet. If the possible purchase of a new electronic is going to cause you such angst, it might be wise to not get said electronic, or find better ways to handle the stress that you place on yourself.

kalebnate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
There is no need to have an anxiety attack over what some people may be saying on the internet. If the possible purchase of a new electronic is going to cause you such angst, it might be wise to not get said electronic, or find better ways to handle the stress that you place on yourself.

Woah dude you make it sound like I'm having an uncontrollable anxiety attack. A bit concern is all I have until my phone arrives, not stress, life is too short to stress on phones right now lol.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
I can honestly say that I have not had a "flawless" iPhone since the 4s -- and that one was stolen when I gave it to my wife. My first iPhone 5 on launch day was PERFECT.... until the sleep/wake button stopped working.

They sent me a replacement and it had 1/2 of a yellow screen. They sent me a replacement for that one and the camera was pointed up and to the left (you could see the lens was not centered). I kept the one with the "yellowish" 1/2 screen until I dropped it and banged it up a bit...I still kept for many more months until the headphone jack bent somehow and headphones would cut in and out. Since I use my phone for work and use the headphone jack every day, I finally got it replaced.

The first one they sent me did not have the screen seated properly and it would physically click when I would push it anywhere on it.

The 2nd one they sent me was fine -- except I feel it did not get as bright as my previous iterations. Whatever, I only had it for a month or so until I got the 6.

So far, my only issue is that it does the little ticking/clicking of the fingerprint scanner that was so graciously pointed out here on the forum. I felt like I heard the screen click back into place once on this one, but maybe I was just dreaming and I haven't been able to duplicate that either.

Point is... you probably won't have a 100% flawless iPhone for a long time. As soon as you get one, it'll get run over by a firetruck or stolen or something. I would just assess what you can, if you find something, decide if you can live with it, then STICK TO THAT DECISION and don't let it bug you. If it continues to bug you, swap it out...

PaythePiper

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2013
Lets see. I've purchased 6 iPhones, 3 iPads, apple TV, iMac and a retina MacBook Pro. And ALL have been perfect out of box. (Even no yellow tint on my retina MB).

Relax. You'll get a perfect device!

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
Rubbish. The Ipad Air had the biggest thread ever on the Apple Support forums because of screen issues. People who put down those with issues are terrible people who are willing to allow a company that charges a premium price get away with selling less than premium products. There are real issues and more and more issues with every new product launch, this is something that needs pointing out so it can be fixed, just putting up with what you're given is a very bad way to live your life.

Most of these issues started when Apple brought in new tech for thinner screens it's not a coincidence. They now have a new filter and low and behold more screen issues. Not enough testing before they launch products.

Best advice is don't be an early adopter and wait for issues to be solved before you buy.

----------

Yeah sure people just make up stories? Are you that dense? Mass produced items, especially tech items tend to have major issues in the first few months that;s the same for all companies. People need to bring them to light to make sure they are fixed. Apple charges a premium and therefore should be held to a higher standard than cheap Android devices. People aren't making things up and idiots like you who say otherwise are just encouraging bad company practices. Just because you are ignorant to issues doesn't mean others have to be.

LOL.

If one were to believe all the garbage "reported" here for every Apple product, the return rate would be 100%. Obviously it's not that, though it's definitely inflated by naive people with neurotic tendencies who read these threads and come away with the attitude that if their precious isn't perfect under high magnification, it's going back, because they read some nut returned 12 phones in a row, and he still didn't get an "acceptable" one, and damn Apple to hell for not delivering him into the ecstasy they owe him. Bad samples and even batches are possible, but at some point, a product is what it is, and there will be sample variation. Mass producing physical items isn't like copying files.

People who start threads about their phones spontaneously bending and whatnot fuel the very concentrated hysteria that thrives in this forum. But for the most part, it's just this forum and ones like it. I'm not aware that in the 2 years the iPhone 5 has been out, there was ever a massive incidence of Uri Geller phones. As for people who claim to have cracked their iPhone 6 glass when they drop it from a foot high onto a soft surface, they're either lying, or they're in a vanishingly small minority who received a defective phone. It's hard to say anything is impossible when the sample size is so large, millions and millions of phones, but I will bet in another 2 years, it will not have been a major problem. SquareTrade says the new phones are more durable.

I mean seriously, you people act like Apple never heard of people putting phones in their pockets or dropping phones and never tested the durability. Here's a free clue, one of many dispensed a couple of years ago when the pitchforks and torches came out in the iPhone 5 "Bend-Gate". If you carry your phone in your pocket and notice things becoming uncomfortably tight when you sit, reposition or remove it from said pocket. If that's an insurmountable problem for you, find another product more suitable for your purposes.

shaunmed

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
The VAST majority are very happy with their phones.

YOU got to keep things in perspective and know that most people do not even know about this forum. Most are just using and enjoying. If you do not realise that then these forums dna the psots will do nothing but upset you.

You got to remember that you will meet the FULL range of people/personalities in these forums. Some are good and reasonable and other off the chart! It is YOUR responsibility to keep it all in perspective!

i like your cat!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.