Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Well, I will reject your challenge to debate the question of: "who started the debate!"

But I will suggest that I did sufficiently answer your question: "Will it?" and showed you how you did miss my point, as my advice is not for you, but the others who do have a continuing need to access Rosetta...

And with that, I will let you have the last word...

Last edited:

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
Well, I will reject your challenge to debate the question of: "who started the debate!"

But I will suggest that I did sufficiently answer your question: "Will it?" and showed you how you did miss my point, as my advice is not for you, but the others who do have a continuing need to access Rosetta...

I don't mean to pick on you, but it sounds as if that advice is more like encouraging people (whom no longer needs Rosetta to buy SLS, or whom doesn't use OS X at all) so that if and when Apple decides to discontinue* SLS sales, these people can sell it to those who needed it at an extremely high price, a.k.a Scalping. That is the impression I'm getting...

*Let's not even talk about Apple restoring it back to the original high-price since SLS can never be found on their Store without a call-in part number quote.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
I don't mean to pick on you, but it sounds as if that advice is more like encouraging people (whom no longer needs Rosetta to buy SLS, or whom doesn't use OS X at all) so that if and when Apple decides to discontinue* SLS sales, these people can sell it to those who needed it at an extremely high price, a.k.a Scalping. That is the impression I'm getting...

Well, with that Ad Hominem attack on me, I suggest you read the posts from all of the satisfied users of Snow Leopard Server on my thread about the use of Snow Leopard Server in Parallels over the last two and one half years, and see if perhaps you want to offer an apology...

And apology or not, yours WILL be the last word on this subject in this thread!

Red Fox

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2011
Seattle
No one mentioned iTunes 10?

Among the many reasons for using Snow Leopard; SPEED, no iOS crap, no gatekeeper crap, ROSETTA, etc., I'm surprised that no one mentioned iTunes 10.

Speaking of which, I'm still using iOS 6 because iOS 7 requires iTunes 11! Also, iOS7 just looks crappy, is slower than 6, etc. Sounds familiar...

The old days of Apple caring a lot about OSX are over. OSX is an iOS accessory now, pure and simple. I don't blame them, Macs are a tiny part of Apple's business now, and I'm surprised they still make them, even to the much more limited degree than they used to.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
I'm using iTunes 11 together with Snow Leopard, still having iPhone 4 with iOS 6 that can sync with it...

Wait until you've used iTunes 12, that is even worse off than iTunes 11... :eek:

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
I've just wiped the HDD on my late '09 Macbook in order to sell to someone. I used the OEM Snow Leopard boot disc to bring it back from the Yosemite Beta to Snow Leopard.

Not sure why, but I feel like it's way, way livelier and faster than Yosemite was on this. Planned obsolescence, indeed. All of my apps are opening on one or two bounces, which is awesome. It reminds me of how my new Macbook Air w/ SSD behaves. Ah, memories.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
It's good on an old machine for some old games. Also, as I recall, it's the only way to run an older version of iTunes, which is the only way run an older version of iOS, which is the only way to run early iPod Touches!

Jarman74

Contributor
Mar 22, 2009
As I need to run a specific version of Xcode for SL (4.2), I am going to install it on a partition shortly.

However, I am aware that Apple has stopped crafting security updates last year and I was wondering how risky it is atm. Do you guys use any third party tools? As Safari has dropped compatibility after version 5.1.10, I guess installing Firefox or Chrome is pretty much a given now.

Thanks for any help!

wallaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Iowa
Hello all,

is someone still using Snow Leopard? And if yes, why?

Greetings

Yes, for reasons both practical and philosophical.

For practical reasons: My home machine is 7 years old (2007 15" Macbook Pro), and it took a **** when I tried upgrading it to either 10.8 or 10.9. Snow Leopard is as far as that machine will ever go.

My work machine is 4 years old (2010 27" iMac) and came with Snow Leopard. Two other guys in the office have Macs and always upgrade them to the newest OS at the first chance they get. One of them has had nothing but issues with network drives constantly dropping from the Mac, and even had to write his own AppleScript just to give himself a button in Finder to refresh and reconnect his drives. My machine just runs.

For philosophical reasons: My Macbook is the first Mac I ever owned, and was sold to me at a time where one of the Mac's major selling points (in a mostly Windows world) was their longevity. I feel like I owe it to the Apple of 2007 to prove them right. Plus, the software really does everything I could possibly need right now. Granted there are a few apps here and there that require 10.7, but I've gotten along without them. Thank god for Postbox.

At work, I like being the archaic guy. I feel like American culture is too ready to throw away their old, perfectly good devices just because the new shiny thing is out. I don't want to be one of those people so I'll continue using old hardware and software until it stops working, unless there's a significant advantage to me upgrading. So far, I haven't seen enough of one. Granted, I don't have an iPhone so there are fewer reasons for me to care.

Now hardware, that's certainly better these days, and that's the tragedy for me. I'd love to have the exact same programs and file structure of my iMac, but with an SSD installed instead of the current HDD. My boss's old iMac got ruined when he tried doing a hard drive replacement on it (faulty hard drive, not an upgrade). So I'm pretty unwilling to open up my machine on the chance of breaking the video connector, even if work was willing to spot me the cost of the SSD.

My Macbook fares better because it has an ExpressCard slot where I've stuck an SSD. However, battery life on that thing is awful, and I wish I could just somehow install one that would last for 6+ hours instead of the 2 I currently get. Shrinking it to a 13" form factor with the same resolution would be nice, too. Oh well. That's what magnetic chargers are for.

Personally, I think we'll continue to see a growing divide between the Dinosaur Users like me who are comfortable with their Good Enough systems and their non-service software, and the On The Edge crowd that are willing to deal with a bit of change to play with the new toys. It's the same divide we see between those who want copies of their music on their hard drives versus those who just log into Spotify and couldn't care less about ownership. I don't think there's anything wrong with either approach, I just happen to be in the first camp.

But hey, I'm a designer, and if Photoshop is any indication, I can probably get away with using hardware and software even older than what I have now. :p

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
I'm on Snow Leopard.

I only have 4 GB of RAM so I wonder if my machine will be too slow if I upgrade, hence just staying with Snow Leopard. And now Yosemite is just a month away.

I'm also considering upgrading to a new rMBP, but I'm not sure if I'll gain that much in terms of performance.

My memory speed is 1067 MHz and the latest one is 1600 MHz. Is that a significant difference in performance? I think I should wait till it's at least 2x memory speed improvement.

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
I'm on Snow Leopard.

I only have 4 GB of RAM so I wonder if my machine will be too slow if I upgrade, hence just staying with Snow Leopard. And now Yosemite is just a month away.

I'm also considering upgrading to a new rMBP, but I'm not sure if I'll gain that much in terms of performance.

My memory speed is 1067 MHz and the latest one is 1600 MHz. Is that a significant difference in performance? I think I should wait till it's at least 2x memory speed improvement.

I don't think you would have any problem at all (if you'r referring to the machine in your signature.)

My late '09 macbook only had 4GB of ram, and a slow 5400 rpm spinner, at that. I guarantee that you could run Yosemite with no issues at all. When I was running Yosemite on my machine, the only bottleneck was lack of SSD.

saoir

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2007
Dublin
Just for you guy's information: After being reassured by a great guy on mac usenet I upgraded earlier this year to Mavericks and it is working great.
I have an iMac of Xmas 2007 and my spec is below:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM71.007A.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.20f4

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Just for you guy's information: After being reassured by a great guy on mac usenet I upgraded earlier this year to Mavericks and it is working great.

Hardware Overview:

Thanks. My machine has similar specs, except that the L2 Cache is 3 MB and the Bus Speed is 1067 MHz. Perhaps I will give Yosemite a try. Worst case if it turns out to be too slow then I will get a new machine.

I'm mostly concerned about security when running an older OS since updates are no longer being provided.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
If you have another device for accessing the Internet, then no worries.

It's my primary device.

----------

Hardware Overview:

BTW, does your machine have an SSD or regular spindle HD?

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
I just put Yosemite on mine recently. It seems to be running OK, but some apps load slightly slower than Snow Leopard.

I think it may be time for me to bite the bullet and get a new machine. But then again, I'm tempted to wait for the rMBA...just seems like a few months away.

saoir

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2007
Dublin
I just put Yosemite on mine recently. It seems to be running OK, but some apps load slightly slower than Snow Leopard.

I think it may be time for me to bite the bullet and get a new machine. But then again, I'm tempted to wait for the rMBA...just seems like a few months away.

I updated this afternoon to Yosemite. Apps are running great. There is a bit of stuttering between spaces and Mission control but overall I am delighted. And it is stunning :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.