Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you in favour of wireless charging?

• Yes I have wireless charging or would get kit for wireless charging

Votes: 83 66.9%
  • No I don't use or plan to use it

Votes: 41 33.1%

• Total voters

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Hey Couch - challenge.

Go ONE post without making the statement that "it'd be a different story if a certain company implemented these features"......its extremely irritating to those of us who WOULDN'T act like the drones you make some out to be and only serves to rile up fanboy wars.....it literally adds nothing to the conversation.

You can make your points without ASSUMING what Apple fans would say if Apple implemented wireless charging. The fact is - those of us who are "against" (read "don't see the point in current offerings") aren't doing so because of the OS the device runs.....and frankly, as long as I have the ability to charge via cable (which, we all are aware of), I couldn't care less if the current offerings are in my device or not.

As for Techanarchy's post, he made some good points on how the current wireless charging implementations aren't convenient. We get the whole "stepping stone" argument. That is has to start somewhere. Fine - that doesn't mean what he said isn't true in its own right as well. I'm sure Tech is completely aware he could charge a Nexus device via usb cable as well.

When asked whether or not current wireless charging options are preferable, Tech answers with no and why it isn't. The fact that this is some infant tech or that he can use other options doesn't come into play there.

Now if he were to say "I won't buy a phone that has wireless charging capabilities" - then you can make the arguments you are making. Just seems to me like you guys need to come up with excuses for why "wireless charging" just isn't all that great right now. Take it for what it is.

I don't remember any of you making excuses for Apple Maps.....when it TOO had to start somewhere, there are other options to use and it gets better over time.

See? You aren't the only one who can pull the double standard card....except my instance is FACTUAL and yours is GENERALIZATION and ASSUMPTION.

You know, you keep posting your "I'm not that type of Apple fan" post when no one is saying you are.

It really makes one wonder.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
You know, you keep posting your "I'm not that type of Apple fan" post when no one is saying you are.

It really makes one wonder.

Ok? This response has little to NOTHING to do with what I said. You make generalizations about APPLE FANS (no distinction, no "some are like this, but not all") and how they (we) would most CERTAINLY accept wireless charging (or whatever the topic is) if there was an Apple logo on it.

As ONE of the MANY Apple fans on here who WOULDN'T fall into your stereotype, I'll go ahead and point out you're wrong.

That's all. But keep trying - you've convinced yourself, you may be able to talk others into that idiotic fanboy narrative of yours. ;)

I get it - easier to stereotype than admit concessions in an argument. That's done a lot here.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I don't remember any of you making excuses for Apple Maps.....when it TOO had to start somewhere, there are other options to use and it gets better over time.

Regarding Apple Maps... people weren't unhappy with just the idea that Apple had to start somewhere, people were more upset about them axing Google Maps to do this (it was during a time when Apple was distancing themselves from Google altogether -- new accounts couldn't push to Gmail, they killed the YouTube app, etc.). In other words, the issue was they changed out a perfectly fine and good map app for a poor one. And more specifically, for one that clearly wasn't ready to become the default and stand alone Map app (wasn't it Beta?). That was the main issue. (There were also other little issues too like how it was the big feature of that OS -- an inferior map.)

Your analogy might be more apt if wireless charging caused serious problems (equivalent to steering people off highways and getting people lost) and was the only way to charge (it took months before Google Maps was allowed back in the App Store, and even then, you couldn't set it as your default map).

----------

Ok? This response has little to NOTHING to do with what I said. You make generalizations about APPLE FANS (no distinction, no "some are like this, but not all") and how they (we) would most CERTAINLY accept wireless charging (or whatever the topic is) if there was an Apple logo on it.

As ONE of the MANY Apple fans on here who WOULDN'T fall into your stereotype, I'll go ahead and point out you're wrong.

That's all. But keep trying - you've convinced yourself, you may be able to talk others into that idiotic fanboy narrative of yours. ;)

I get it - easier to stereotype than admit concessions in an argument. That's done a lot here.

The point being, if you're not that type of Apple fan, why worry about my post? It makes people wonder (oh, and I guess some of your post history doesn't help).

Stereotype? The real false narrative is yours, where you think this sort of Apple fan no longer exist (and isn't a continued detriment to people's perception of Apple). Look around.

And you're putting words in my mouth. "Me thinks" doesn't = "most certainly."

onthecouchagain said:
Like I said, me thinks it'd be a whole different story if wireless charging came from Apple first.

If there was a meme to sum up my thoughts regarding your "I'm not that type of Apple fan" posts, it'd be:

you-mad-bro.png

Cause if you're not, I don't see why you keep needing to defend yourself against a post that doesn't even mention you.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Regarding Apple Maps... people weren't unhappy with just the idea that Apple had to start somewhere, people were more upset about them axing Google Maps to do this (it was during a time when Apple was distancing themselves from Google altogether -- you couldn't push to Gmail, they killed the YouTube app, etc.). In other words, the issue was they changed out a perfectly fine and good map app for a poor one. And more specifically, for one that clearly wasn't ready to become the default and stand alone Map app (wasn't it Beta?). That was the main issue. (There were also other little issues too like how it was the big feature of that OS -- an inferior map.)

Your analogy might be more apt if wireless charging caused serious problems (equivalent to steering people off highways and getting people lost)and was the only way to charge. (it took months before Google Maps was allowed back in the App Store)

Well - if you think about it, the other map options were available. So you'd look at it like this:

If I use wireless charging, I have to pay extra for a charging pad, it charges slower, I can't use the device while its charging and all the consequences of those thing.

I use the standard wired charging, I may have to plug it in, but it'll charge faster, and I can use the device while it charges.

for maps.....

If I use Apple maps - depending on my location, the POIs might be off, I might get wrong directions, but its all default and has better underlying features (vector maps - at the time better than the previous google offering).

I could also use any number of other maps apps, and while they can't be set as default, they offer a better (perhaps) user experience and honestly, the Google Maps app got infinitely better after that.

So Apple didn't AXE anything. Really I see your post as strengthening my argument. It apparently wasn't acceptable for Apple to release a "not ready for primetime" maps app, but it is acceptable for wireless charging that has flaws because its a stepping stone? How is the maps app not also a stepping stone (especially since it NEEDS crowd sourced data to get better).

I'm bringing all of this up for the sake of argument - playing devils advocate somewhat. Truth is this stuff comes out, sometimes when its not ready because it needs public awareness and exposure to get better. I'm completely fine and agree with all of that. And while I somewhat disagree on what ACTUALLY constitutes WIRELESS, I have no issue with it being implemented because, as you all have pointed out, it doesn't mess with the fact I can use usb charging.

But as such, I won't be wasting $50 on a wireless charging orb this time around.

----------

The point being, if you're not that type of Apple fan, why worry about my post? It makes people wonder (oh, and I guess some of your post history doesn't help).

Because I'm not only defending myself but every other Apple fan (who doesn't fall into that stereotype)? You've never defended a group of people from a stereotype you didn't fall into?

Stereotype? The real false narrative is yours, where you think this sort of Apple fan no longer exist (and isn't a continued detriment to people's perception of Apple). Look around.

Yes stereotype - which also means I'm fully aware those people exist (stereotypes DO exist for a reason - the problem is applying them to EVERYONE in that particular group). Why you continually bring that up in the alternatives section is beyond me - where those of us Apple users here are generally also Android users and wouldn't base the decision on whether a feature or implementation was good simply based on the device it ran on.

But if you ARE actually trying to "combat" or argue against those Apple fans who are such a detriment - how about ACTUALLY arguing with facts and logic rather than simply repeating this stereotypical line you love

If there was a meme to sum up my thoughts regarding your "I'm not that type of Apple fan" posts, it'd be:

Cause if you're not, I don't see why you keep needing to defend yourself against a post that doesn't even mention you.

Not mad at all. Stereotypes are frustrating - which I am sure you're aware given they tend to be a chosen tactic of yours (and many here) when you have nothing to combat an argument.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Well - if you think about it, the other map options were available. So you'd look at it like this:

If I use wireless charging, I have to pay extra for a charging pad, it charges slower, I can't use the device while its charging and all the consequences of those thing.

I use the standard wired charging, I may have to plug it in, but it'll charge faster, and I can use the device while it charges.

for maps.....

If I use Apple maps - depending on my location, the POIs might be off, I might get wrong directions, but its all default and has better underlying features (vector maps - at the time better than the previous google offering).

I could also use any number of other maps apps, and while they can't be set as default, they offer a better (perhaps) user experience and honestly, the Google Maps app got infinitely better after that.

So Apple didn't AXE anything. Really I see your post as strengthening my argument. It apparently wasn't acceptable for Apple to release a "not ready for primetime" maps app, but it is acceptable for wireless charging that has flaws because its a stepping stone? How is the maps app not also a stepping stone (especially since it NEEDS crowd sourced data to get better).

I'm bringing all of this up for the sake of argument - playing devils advocate somewhat. Truth is this stuff comes out, sometimes when its not ready because it needs public awareness and exposure to get better. I'm completely fine and agree with all of that. And while I somewhat disagree on what ACTUALLY constitutes WIRELESS, I have no issue with it being implemented because, as you all have pointed out, it doesn't mess with the fact I can use usb charging.

But as such, I won't be wasting $50 on a wireless charging orb this time around.

----------

Because I'm not only defending myself but every other Apple fan (who doesn't fall into that stereotype)? You've never defended a group of people from a stereotype you didn't fall into?

Yes stereotype - which also means I'm fully aware those people exist (stereotypes DO exist for a reason - the problem is applying them to EVERYONE in that particular group). Why you continually bring that up in the alternatives section is beyond me - where those of us Apple users here are generally also Android users and wouldn't base the decision on whether a feature or implementation was good simply based on the device it ran on.

But if you ARE actually trying to "combat" or argue against those Apple fans who are such a detriment - how about ACTUALLY arguing with facts and logic rather than simply repeating this stereotypical line you love

Not mad at all. Stereotypes are frustrating - which I am sure you're aware given they tend to be a chosen tactic of yours (and many here) when you have nothing to combat an argument.

Because Jrswizzle is the hero Apple deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll stereotype him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Fan.

Gary-Oldman.jpg

Coming to Blu-Ray and DVD in select Apple Stores near you!

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Because Jrswizzle is the hero Apple deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll stereotype him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Fan.

Coming to Blu-Ray and DVD in select Apple Stores near you!

lmao.....

Anyways - how about that Nexus 5 release? Soon? :cool:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
when you have nothing to combat an argument.

Oh, my dear friend, you give us plenty to use.

Hey, remember the Samsung Round thread? If you're saying:

jrswizzle said:
Truth is this stuff comes out, sometimes when its not ready because it needs public awareness and exposure to get better. I'm completely fine and agree with all of that.

Then what was up with that Samsung Round thread. Anyway, toodles.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Oh, my dear friend, you give us plenty to use.

Hey, remember the Samsung Round thread? If you're saying:

Then what was up with that Samsung Round thread. Anyway, toodles.

You're right - that's completely the same.....except, not.

I'm not getting into it here. Suffice it to say - one feature vs a business model. What do my personal opinions matter to you anyways? I'm just one of those silly Apple fans driving them to bankruptcy with my idiotic mindless praise of everything they do and criticism of anything the competition does.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
What do my personal opinions matter to you anyways?

It doesn't, per se, not in this particular exchange. Don't forget, you're the one that responded to a post I made that didn't even reference or mention you, raising all your defenses. Like I said, it can be telling.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Is it just me, or are the arguments here are basically revolving around two points.

1) having a crappy, rarely used option is better than no option at all. Never mind the opportunity cost involved.

2) wireless charging in its current incarnation sucks, but we should still support it nonetheless because it may one-day evolve into something that is useful to us.

And they call us sheep.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
This is all opinion based. If someone likes wireless charging, then go for it. Others might not think so. Either way, the phone gets charged, who cares how. I personally love my Nexus Orb and use it with my Galaxy S4 every night. It's fully charged when I wake up and is propped up nicely when I want to check the time or something. Plus, with the thicker back cover on the GS4, it feels nicer in my hand and protects the rear camera a lot better than the stock back cover. So it's a win-win.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Is it just me, or are the arguments here are basically revolving around two points.

1) having a crappy, rarely used option is better than no option at all. Never mind the opportunity cost involved.

2) wireless charging in its current incarnation sucks, but we should still support it nonetheless because it may one-day evolve into something that is useful to us.

And they call us sheep.

1) If I get a Nexus 5, I plan to get a wireless charger. Why would I use it "rarely"? I'd use it every single night, in fact.

2) Highly debatable. I look forward to plopping my device down at night (or whenever! If I'm setting it down on my desk, why not set it on the charging mat?) to let it charge. No need to deal directly with wires, no fuss. Then, when I need it, pick it up and go. No need to detach anything. If I should need to use the phone while it's charging, I can pick it up and do what I need to do, and put it back, too. Unless the phone is about to die, why can't I pick it right back up and use it? Also, if I get something shaped like the Nexus Orb, technically, I can still use it while it's on the charging mat. And if I'm traveling, well, I'll just bring my wall charger, like I would have to anyway if I didn't have a wireless charging mat.

EDIT: And the question of the thread is, "Are you in favor of it?" If you're someone who may not be interested in wireless charging today, but is excited about what it could be in the future, why would you not be in favor of it, even if you don't plan to use it personally? There ought to be no reason you'd be against it -- do you understand that word? Don't forget, you aren't being forced to use wireless charging nor is the ability to charge with a chord vanquished.

Last edited:

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar

And they call us sheep.

1) is is not crappy, nor rarely used

2) doesn't suck

Then perhaps is you.

thecurryman

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2012
I think it would be really useful. its one of those things you have to use and appreciate before you realize its potential

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
I absolutely love wireless charging on my nexus 7 (comes Qi enabled). First of all, it's convenient to place something down and have it juice up without actually plugging a cord in. Second of all, wireless charging saves wear and tear on your micro USB port. Third of all, it's a step into the future because eventually we will be able to charge without cords or charging mats.

All in all wireless charging is something that you won't appreciate or understand until you have it. There is something very cool about just placing your device down and simply picking it up when you're ready to use. No plugging in! And in my experience my wireless charger charges just as fast as AC charging.

I hope Apple puts this into the iPhone soon.

And lets be real, I think people who are against wireless charging or make fun of it are simply mad they dont have it.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Why would anyone be against it as long as there's still a port to charge via cable. I just wish it worked with cases.

My n7 has a tpu case on and it works perfectly. Many people use cases with wireless charging and it works fine, unless you maybe have a super cheap generic qi charger or your case is somehow unreasonably thick.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Yes, but I favor FAST CHARGING more like the VOCC charging found in the Oppo Find 7a. From 0-75% under 30 min and full charge by 40 min to 1 hr. Definitely a life saver when you forgot to charge your phone the night before. Also external power banks are great additions in case of blackouts. My next product from Xiaomi will be that $12 Mii Powerbank. Fantastic Mii device, fantastic price.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Yes, but I favor FAST CHARGING more like the VOCC charging found in the Oppo Find 7a. From 0-75% under 30 min and full charge by 40 min to 1 hr. Definitely a life saver when you forgot to charge your phone the night before. Also external power banks are great additions in case of blackouts. My next product from Xiaomi will be that $12 Mii Powerbank. Fantastic Mii device, fantastic price.

I also favor fast charging, glad the note 4 charges to 50% in 30 minutes....

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
It's great. I have it on my Nexus 5 and the cheap Chinese wireless charger for $15 or so works great.

hollandog

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2014
I use wireless charging at home and at work for my N5.
Very convenient, especially at work.

I only use the cable in the car.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.