Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
What if Apple releases it with just 1GB of ram ? I wouldn't believe it and I would be extremely pissed. Practically a 2015 device.

vmflapem

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2013
What if Apple releases it with just 1GB of ram ? I wouldn't believe it and I would be extremely pissed. Practically a 2015 device.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they release it with 1gb of RAM. Looking at the new iPhone, it only makes sense..
In the worst case we can always wait for the ipad pro :)

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
They should bump the ram now that iOS is a 64 bit OS. It certainly can't hurt. If it stays the same at 1GB there is no incentive for me to upgrade so i'll stay with my Air.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
Considering the A8 is 25% faster than the A7 which isn't all that much having only 1GB of ram would make it even less appealing. Eventually Apple will need to increase the memory. The question is when.

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
I'd be more aggravated if they tried to stick it to us with a 16GB base model again. Now that would be truly unbelievable. They haven't increased base model storage since 2010, and since NAND prices have fallen to less than a third of what they were in 2010, that's inexcusable.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
I'd be very surprised if they boost the RAM in the Air considering it will get the same A8 chip in the iPhone 6/6+ and those both have 1GB...

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2007
If they do I'm not buying it. Simple as that.

Likewise, I've just sold my iPad 4 and if the air 2 doesn't have more ran I'll just rebuy an ipad4 for less money after air2 launch.

The 64bit air had less free ram vs ipad 4.

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
The iPhone 6 has 1GB RAM, so the new iPads will only have 1GB RAM. I'd bet a lot of money on it.

The iPad never gets shiny new stuff before the iPhone does: retina display (2010 vs 2012), touch ID (2013 vs maybe 2014), usable camera (5 Megapixels) (2010 vs 2012).

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
The iPhone 6 has 1GB RAM, so the new iPads will only have 1GB RAM. I'd bet a lot of money on it.

The iPad never gets shiny new stuff before the iPhone does: retina display (2010 vs 2012), touch ID (2013 vs maybe 2014), usable camera (5 Megapixels) (2010 vs 2012).

But isn't the iPad technically the flagship device? Why is the iPhone supposed to get it before the iPad?

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Any of you think Apple will unveil an A8X with enhanced graphics and more RAM? Sure, it's a long shot because of profit margins and all that stuff Apple loves so much, but they really need to do something hardware-related to get folks to upgrade, even though I would contest that most users want enhanced iPad software-related features in iOS vs. more hardware bumps. I'm perfectly fine with my mini except the fact there's only 512MB RAM. This rears its ugly head every now and then. Frankly, if I had 1GB RAM, with its "low-res screen," I'd be plenty happy and will continue to use it. But, we all know Apple makes these products with the eventual upgrade in mind. I'm just wondering if there's going to be more to this in the October event, because Apple has to know iPad growth has severely stalled as this space of "blown up smartphone OS that relies on third-party app innovation" has ran its course. We need more from our iPads...

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
If they release iPad with 1GB RAM, then Apple will lose my money for the 3rd time.

When I got iPad 3, there was almost no reason to upgrade to 4(new connector). When they released the iPad Air , while slightly lighter its not enough reason to pay another $500 or more. My current iPad 3 is fast and does everything I want and all games run on it AFAIK.

If iPad Air 2 is all the similar, why upgrade? Its about time Apple upgrade the iPad enough to make it a replacement for power browsing. I find myself always having to go back and use the laptop when I need to do serious web browsing.

I had an iMac from '02 with 768 RAM. It used to be great for browsing, why do we have to deal with refreshing and slow loading on an iPad ?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I think we'll see 2GB of RAM and an A8 that's clocked higher.

The iPad has been in decline - and not the "iPhone-type decline" where sales keep going up but marketshare shrinks. The iPad has actually seen a decline in sales.

Tim Cook has alluded to there being a number of things they can and will do to make the iPad innovative again. With the release of the 6+, my guess is we start seeing more differentiation between the iPhone and iPad.

Some of that will be hardware - more RAM, faster clocked chip, better battery life. But I think a lot of it will come in iOS where we'll see additional "iPad-only" features implemented.

And I think it will start in October.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
I'd be more aggravated if they tried to stick it to us with a 16GB base model again. Now that would be truly unbelievable. They haven't increased base model storage since 2010, and since NAND prices have fallen to less than a third of what they were in 2010, that's inexcusable.

They will. Just look at the iPhone. If they do that with the products that gain them the most revenue - there's no way in hell the iPad is getting a base of 32GB.

Woyzeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
I still don't understand why the Safar-tab-reloading problem is caused by a lack of RAM that can't be solved with some clever virtual memory swapping feature. I mean our iPad Airs have some fast NAND chips for storing apps and data. Why not just swap out page content to the storage instead of reloading them?

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I was planning to get the next Air iteration, but if it is 1GB of RAM then I just won't buy it. Apple needs to step it up here.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
I think there will be 2GB of RAM, and 32GB base storage. Why? Apple needs to do more to give a reason to upgrade now that the 6/6+ exist. Apple can get away with doing 1GB RAM and 16GB of storage on the iPhone, because people will buy anyway.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I think there will be 2GB of RAM, and 32GB base storage. Why? Apple needs to do more to give a reason to upgrade now that the 6/6+ exist. Apple can get away with doing 1GB RAM and 16GB of storage on the iPhone, because people will buy anyway.

The iPad Air 2 will come with 16GB, 64GB, or 128GB storage (no 32GB option).

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
Apple is smart enough to know people are dumb enough to upgrade just for the fingerprint sensor this year and then they'll milk them again next year for extra memory.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

Isn't this exactly what people said about the new iPhones? And then they sold in record numbers anyway. Most people don't even know or care how much RAM is in their devices.

rbfinch2

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2013
If they that then I'm going with the Samsung Galaxy s. The first time I break from Apple products.

RockSpider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
Apple is smart enough to know people are dumb enough to upgrade just for the fingerprint sensor this year and then they'll milk them again next year for extra memory.

Yep, most people don't even know what these figures mean. I've got a 32 GB IPad Air and after upgrading to IOS 8, it's slowed down markedly, with Safari crashing quite often, that's because it only has 1GB ram.

The other thing they absolutely need to do is make the base model 32 GB, I haven't got that many apps on this iPad and it's nearly full.

It's time Apple started spending some of their hoards of cash and make a half decent tablet, Samsung has already passed them severely with the Samsung Galaxy S. I defy anyone to look at that tablet and say the iPad is better.

----------

If they that then I'm going with the Samsung Galaxy s. The first time I break from Apple products.

Me too, we both had the same idea at the same time, that is an amazing machine.

----------

Isn't this exactly what people said about the new iPhones? And then they sold in record numbers anyway. Most people don't even know or care how much RAM is in their devices.

You're right, they don't know, but that doesn't make it right for Apple to short change their customers. Every other company is doing the right thing.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
I can see them putting 2 GB ram in because the multitasking needs it and Apple is trying to do that enterprise thing.

I need a new IPad because my IPad2 is tired and won't run 8 efficiently.

I may have to wait and see if they come out with the mythical 12" after the first of the year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.