Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vaultwit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
I'm not against having options but I didn't dump android for iOS for them to start copying them by implementing features I didn't like. It's purely a selfish viewpoint I know and if I had the option to opt out, I have no problem with that. Personally though I think the fact iOS offers something different and scaled down is a positive. It's not over complicated and having apps on one screen is good for me. Whatever though :)

Fair enough... I will say that I like the sense of simplicity that iOS is based on. I've used Android and found that, though in theory one should be able to make it just as simple if they choose, Android is always complicated. I feel like Apple could make homescreen widgets while still preserving the same feeling of simplicity... But widgets or not, I still prefer iPhone.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Fair enough... I will say that I like the sense of simplicity that iOS is based on. I've used Android and found that, though in theory one should be able to make it just as simple if they choose, Android is always complicated. I feel like Apple could make homescreen widgets while still preserving the same feeling of simplicity... But widgets or not, I still prefer iPhone.

Complicated? The basic stuff such as the same things that IOS does are right in your face on a android phone. Its when you want to customize and change things around that involve complexity but you dont have to follow that option. There is also a EASY MODE on most current Samsung devices if you need it to be even simpler. ;)

vaultwit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Complicated? The basic stuff such as the same things that IOS does are right in your face on a android phone. Its when you want to customize and change things around that involve complexity but you dont have to follow that option. There is also a EASY MODE on most current Samsung devices if you need it to be even simpler. ;)

Ha! Just the fact that there IS an "easy mode" shows how complicated Android is ;) :D

vaultwit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
IOS is good for simple people and I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Well I'll be the first to admit my phone is such a fundamental part of my life that I want one that just works, and reliably so. The last thing I want to deal with is fiddling around different settings and trying to make things work the way I want it. Or feeling that I'm missing out and not getting my money's worth of the phone by using the "easy mode." Does it mean that I'm not competent enough to deal with an Android? I wouldn't think so, although everyone's entitled to their own opinion. But as a human, I naturally want the easier way, and iOS is definitely "easier." Plus you get all the bonus goodies like a beautiful aluminum unibody design, a slick and fluid user interface, and what have you. There's a reason why people line up hours (or days) to get a new iPhone... You don't see that with the Galaxy. And it's not because people don't know better. Now if only Apple would just give iOS widgets...

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

Whenever I hear someone call Android complicated over iOS I just want to tear my hair out, but then I realize what most mean is not complicated but rather they are not used to it. When I first switched from iOS to android there was a learning curve, and I'll bet there would also be a learning curve for someone who never used iOS. For the life of me I cannot see where Android is more complicated.

I know Apple makes an incredibly lucrative living convincing people they need "simple" and "just works", but that's just pure and utter marketing. I stopped treating my family and friends as if they were technologically stupid a while ago and it's rare they have any more difficulty with android as opposed to iOS. Heck my mother still calls me a couple of times per week to help her with her iPhone.

abshole765

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
I have an obsession with widgets as well. Either everything needs to be uniformed or I use none at all. So I do understand that point. From my plethora of Android knowledge over the years, I've learnt that the best widgets to go with are those that offer a transparent background as an option. This way you don't have to sacrifice the general look of your device. Actually the best ones are those that allow you to custom tailor it to your design, but it takes some time. Thus if you're willing to put in that time and you value the results, widgets are very useful.

Have the same feeling, especially with the transparent background widgets. I have found that depending on what you're aiming for as far as a theme, some non-transparent work better.

----------

Whenever I hear someone call Android complicated over iOS I just want to tear my hair out, but then I realize what most mean is not complicated but rather they are not used to it. When I first switched from iOS to android there was a learning curve, and I'll bet there would also be a learning curve for someone who never used iOS. For the life of me I cannot see where Android is more complicated.

Lol, when I first switched I wanted to tear my hair out. I felt like I was being overloaded with options. Fast forward to now (only a few months later), I'd never switch back. There's still some things I'm picking up on, but I wouldn't go back.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I'm simple, not in a mental way but being a designer by trade, I enjoy clean simple design and iOS is just that. Thumbs up :)
Yeah I didn't mean it in a bad way:) I would say to people who just want to have something easy to use, texting, emails, calling and the odd apps games iPhone is a great option.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I wonder if Apple is stuck with the grid system. Yes it was new and revolutionary back in 2007 when screens were small. But now that Android has grown and come up with new ways to do things can Apple really adjust and still save face. I wonder if they are caught in their own vice and not able to get away from what they created. Would they love to drop the interface and adopt the Android system in a way not to alienate their hard core fans or are they going to stay with the standard iOS design. To me the grid is what is outdated and I wonder if Apple agrees but can't change.

abshole765

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
I actually typed non-transparent but somehow it auto corrected :D but yes, that's exactly what I meant.

Screenshot_2014-09-21-12-04-40.png

Screenshot_2014-09-21-12-04-57.png

emot-allears.gif

So beautiful

abshole765

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Wow, can you put more information up how and where you can get those transparent icons/setup?

Notification bar, clock, and lock screen are all Zooper Widget. It's a paid app (free version also). The free version gets you a lot, paid allows you to save set-ups to your sd card.

Icons are Outline White.

Also using Apex Launcher with a 8x8 grid.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Notification bar, clock, and lock screen are all Zooper Widget. It's a paid app (free version also). The free version gets you a lot, paid allows you to save set-ups to your sd card.

Icons are Outline White.

Also using Apex Launcher with a 8x8 grid.

Cool, thanks

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
My opinion on widgets is pretty simple. On small screens, widgets turn into something you scroll through 70% of the time. Once you have seen the weather for the day, the weather widget becomes significantly less useful. On a big screen, you can put a lot more than weather on a home screen.

A number of people here are right about one thing: The iPhone 6+ is relatively useless at the moment, but that has nothing to do with widgets. The iOS home screen is called the springboard because it's a conduit between apps. It's not a place you hang out to access widget information. Widgets are not a necessary piece of the iOS puzzle, and the notification center implementation seems appropriate to me.

So, why do I think the iPhone 6+ is somewhat less advantageous at the moment? Well, with the current state of iOS apps (four days after launch), no developers have yet been able to take advantage of all that extra space. Within the month, a number of applications will have learned at least somewhat how to better utilize space.

In short, no, the iPhone 6+ is not a great earth shattering device, but no, it doesn't have anything to do with widgets. Until third party apps utilize the massive screen, the iPhone 6+ is not as good as it can possibly be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.