Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hello, I use Galaxy Note tablets but my sister uses iPAD. What is the best way to do video chat besides using Skype?

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Hangouts. I mainly use it with my daughter though....daddy's little girl :D

Quotenfrau

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2011
Now it's Apple's turn to standardize Facetime or release clients for non-apple devices.

I prefer open standards, not proprietary vendor lock-in.

Visionblue

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2013
Now it's Apple's turn to standardize Facetime or release clients for non-apple devices.

I prefer open standards, not proprietary vendor lock-in.

Didn't Apple promise an open client for facetime a few years back? I wonder if they scrapped those plans?

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Didn't Apple promise an open client for facetime a few years back? I wonder if they scrapped those plans?

Its because some other company had the patents to protocols Apple used for FaceTime and were sued. Apple lost so they couldn't make it open source like they had planned.

Not sure what's happening now though and if they plan on doing something different.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Its because some other company had the patents to protocols Apple used for FaceTime and were sued. Apple lost so they couldn't make it open source like they had planned.

Not sure what's happening now though and if they plan on doing something different.

Right. Apple wanted FaceTime to become a standard, but the threat of litigation caused them to backtrack.

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
I do remember Apple saying they would make facetime open. I've been wondering what the hold up was and now I do thx to this thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.