Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

menano

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
Neverland
My stock 6-core arrives tomorrow, I can barely hold myself. :mad:

I am also a bit nostalgic to leave my faithful 2009 iMac but it will be such a leap I know I won't want anything else when I get my hands on it.

puke

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2007
Sweden
Is it worth ordering a nMP now when it's been 222 days since it was released? Will it be upgraded soonish, any educated guessers out there? I'm rolling with a Macbook Air - info in my sig.

I need a bigger screen, i'm not in THAT much of a hurry, but ofcourse - as everyone else - i'm crazy for this stuff.

galinda

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2014
Just ordered my first MBP this morning at around 10am +8GMT. It's a BTO to be shipped here in the Philippines. My ETA is Aug 11-18. Keeping my fingers crossed!

willhill

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2005
Boston, MA
I just picked up a 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 from Craigslist last night with the dual 2.8 quads and 8GB RAM. I know it's on the lower end but I'm excited to get it set up and running the Yosemite beta.

I've wanted one of these machines since they came out in 2006 and I couldn't be more excited. :D :D :D

unfragile

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2013
I just picked up a 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 from Craigslist last night with the dual 2.8 quads and 8GB RAM. I know it's on the lower end but I'm excited to get it set up and running the Yosemite beta.

I've wanted one of these machines since they came out in 2006 and I couldn't be more excited. :D :D :D

It was a good feller since 2008 till 2013, great machine, I've upgraded the graphic card to a ATI5870 and for OS an SSD from OWC, the best upgrade I've made to that Mac Pro :)

Darwin36

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2013
Well I've just pulled the trigger and ordered my very first Mac Pro. I opted for the 6-Core after a long hard battle in my head and on google over the 8 Core. I maxed the graphics and SSD and left the RAM at 16GB to upgrade later.

It's replacing my early MacBook Pro 2011 as my main machine for work following a new role involving 3D rendering and increased math munching.

My plan was always 8 core but it appears through my research and my taking perspective that most of the time 6 will be more than adequate and saves me a sweet £1000.

Should be in my arms...umm I mean on my desk by Aug 19th here in sunny England.

Very excited indeed!

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Ordered my nMP this afternoon for work -- can't wait to put it through its paces.

8 Core, 512/16, D700's

It's gonna get pretty rowdy.

That's a great config. It's what I'd order if my use case didn't undershoot the price by a significant margin.

uhslax24

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA
That's a great config. It's what I'd order if my use case didn't undershoot the price by a significant margin.

Thanks!

Took me about 8 weeks to decide on this configuration - really wanted something with power out of the box & promise of relative longevity, while not going crazy on replaceable parts.

I do a lot of video processing (45min+ in some cases) and some After Effects work.

Do you have your system already? Would love to hear about performance/use case!

afterworks

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2011
Manchester
I should be getting my 6 core tomorrow!

My order is being processed!

Can't wait, my 3.1 is ready to be a media centre now. It's been great machine but struggling for mixing duties in Logic now.

The 6 core will be a nice upgrade me thinks!

lbotez

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2003
I'm finally getting my mac pro... goodbye mac mini; it's been fun but time to go back to a pro.

Best Buy has the six core for sale for $260 off... and I had a moving coupon so I got another 10% off.

Anyway, I can't wait around for the next upgrade; this machine is barely nine months old and the new one will probably end up costing more...

supposedly getting it tomorrow!

Parigot

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal
It's not the nMP but it still is a MP!
Just got a 4.1, 2009, MP 2x2.26Ghz Quad Xeon used for $800. It is in mint condition. It will replace my current Mac Mini from 2006 I was still rocking.
Can't wait to make some upgrade on it.
Cheers!

uhslax24

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA
Went to bed excited last night to be receiving my new Mac Pro this morning. Sadly, woke up to this gem of an exception from UPS:

"A late UPS trailer arrival has caused a delay. We're adjusting plans to deliver your package as quickly as possible."

It's sitting in a depot 40 minutes from my work. When I called UPS customer service, they stated that it will still be delivered today....if I don't see it on a truck by 10am, I'm definitely going to consider driving to the depot.

I had my whole day carved out to set this bad boy up with my new Promise RAID array. :mad:

Surfheart

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2010
Ordered 6core/12Gb/512Gb/D700 mac pro on the 15th August. (Australia)
It's been shipped and scheduled to arrive tomorrow 27th August.

When I placed the order the store indicated shipping in 1-2 weeks.

Pretty impressed.

teralpar

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2014
Just purchased my first Mac this morning...13" MacBook Pro 2.6/8gb/256gb. Setup was pretty easy, and so far I am loving it!

**Edit: Sorry, I should have posted this under the MacBook Pro thread. :rolleyes:

Surfheart

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2010
Just purchased my first Mac this morning...13" MacBook Pro 2.6/8gb/256gb. Setup was pretty easy, and so far I am loving it!

**Edit: Sorry, I should have posted this under the MacBook Pro thread. :rolleyes:

Congrats on your first Mac!
I got my first one in 1986 ;)

BurgDog

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2012
Used 2013 from Amazon

I just got a used Mac Pro (2013) 6 core stock config from Amazon for $3400. Obviously buyer remorse return. When I checked it still had 10 months warranty left. Saved me about $900 out the door price from local Apple store so jumped on this when I saw it listed. Amazon Store card financing gave me a no-interest loan for 1 year to pay it off so I can (sort of) afford it.

I gave up waiting for an update to the Mac Mini to replace my 2011 one. Yeah this is overkill for what I need but it sure is pretty and runs fast, cool and quiet – Handbrake gets it slightly warm but still can't hear fan and Handbrake encodes are about 7 times faster than the 2 core Mini. I'm happy.

Last edited:

scotttnz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I couldn't stay away from Mac for long. Despite being a life long Windows user, I missed OS-X and dislike Windows 8.1 still. But I always missed the ability to tinker with and upgrade hardware when I tried a Mac Mini for a year last year. I have been contemplating an ex-lease Mac Pro for a while as a solution to this conundrum for a while when I spotted a 4,1 4 Core for around half what they normally sell for at this end of the world. Plus the fact that my 24" screen was damaged while moving house, and this one came with a 23" cinema display included, made it too good a deal to pass up.

First up I will be Adding a USB 3 Card, upgrading the RAM to 16Gb+, and installing the 960Gb Crucial M500 SSD from my PC, probably in a SATA3 card.

Some time in future I'll upgrade the GPU and CPU

Enrico

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2007
Milano / Roma
Just ordered a 6c/12/512/D300, hoping in a future way to upgrade the GPUs! My applications (mainly Lightroom, coming from Aperture) do not presently benefit from GPU acceleration so I figured out I could save some $$ by going with the base one.

It says 3-5 days as a shipping estimate, how is the actual shipment speed nowadays?

andyrugbyref

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2012
New to me Mac Pro 3,1

So I have managed to get my hands on a Mac Pro 8 core 3.2ghz

Only 4gb Ram so thinking about upgrading that, but not sure, may upgrade the graphics first, who knows.

Should make a great little business desktop, only 200 GBP :)

FMD:.

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2010
Picked up a few weeks ago a 5,1 Mac Pro 2.4ghz 8core with 22gb of ram and 2 1TB hdds for a little over 1k dollars. Upgraded it with 32gb of 1333mhz ram(180 dollars), a 1TB SSD (360 dollars) and now am already looking to do either the x5680 or x5675 upgrade to it. The current video card is the 5770 and am currently looking for a good replacement for it. I am a motion designer that basically works in Cinema 4D, After effects and the rest of the creative suite. So far i am extremely pleased with the machine but always am about MOAR POWER!

Vukmon

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2013
Is it worth ordering a nMP now when it's been 222 days since it was released? Will it be upgraded soonish, any educated guessers out there?
This is interesting question. To be honest I am not sure that nMP will be updated soon (if you think about this November), but lets see what other (more experienced) members could say :eek:

I need a bigger screen, i'm not in THAT much of a hurry, but ofcourse - as everyone else - i'm crazy for this stuff.
Please let us know do you need bigger screen, or bigger 4K screen :cool: because that makes a lot of difference. I see that you are using Air, so let us know what do you (plan) to do with your new Mac Pro. That beast is too powerful for ordinary tasks :D:D:D

puke

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2007
Sweden
This is interesting question. To be honest I am not sure that nMP will be updated soon (if you think about this November), but lets see what other (more experienced) members could say :eek:

Please let us know do you need bigger screen, or bigger 4K screen :cool: because that makes a lot of difference. I see that you are using Air, so let us know what do you (plan) to do with your new Mac Pro. That beast is too powerful for ordinary tasks :D:D:D

27" 1080p-screens. 4K is still way too pricey for the good stuff. I plan on doing some light gaming (WoW and D3) aswell as using Photoshop and work with large images (RAW etc). I'm actually looking on the side atm about getting myself a PC (ohnoes, windows) with dual 970s 4GB each and a 6-core and 2400mhz RAM. I hate windows, but i'm clearly lost atm. :)

//

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.