Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrm27

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
Well, the deep scan didn't work... that's a bummer! Not sure what to try next...

jrm27

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
I'll try that too. Thanks man. My other issue seems to be that I can't access my router to setup a static IP address... which it looks like I need to do in order to get the Plex server onto the ATV3. dang.. I guess it might just not be in the cards today!

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Back to the original: I have 130 "movies" in my iTunes library. That EXcludes home movies, short features (for example, I have all the Pixar shorts,) and iTunes Extras listings. It only includes the actual feature-length motion pictures.

25 of them are iTunes purchases. 5 of THOSE have iTunes Extras. Although of those 25, 10 were purchased as a bundle (the Star Trek movie series,) for a steep discount, 5 were free with DVD/Blu-ray purchase, and a couple of the remaining were either free or extremely cheap. In fact, counting up, only 8 were purchased as individual movie purchases...

The remaining 105 movies are all rips from my own DVD/Blu-ray discs. I have not yet ripped all of my movies, though. I'm slowly working my way through them. My "ripping computer" is a very loud workstation that I don't leave on for long periods.

My library is "big", but not too big to manage quite yet. It would be nice if the AppleTV had a better way of going through an iTunes shared library, though...

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2014
I own 63 movies from iTunes and 2 seasons of TV shows-- The Americans season 1 and Homeland season 1. Adding more all the time.

Not all that big I guess.

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
So, how's everyone doing this? Obviously you've got Gb's to Tb's of ripped material / iTunes purchases on a hard drive somewhere. Desktop setup or a networked drive and a laptop? How are you viewing with your ATV? Are you transferring favorites back and forth to the ATV drive or streaming?

I use an NAS (Synology, 4x2TB) that gives me not only bulk storage, but RAID protection so a single hard drive faille won't result in data loss. My iTunes library lives on the NAS, and I have a Mac Mini that has a couple of jobs, one of which is to always have iTunes up running Home Sharing, so that the ATVs can stream at any time.

The low-power wake-on-LAN feature added in Lion really makes this reasonable, because the Mini can be in a very low-power mode and only come on when it has work to do.

--

As to the thread topic, I have about 250 movies and probably 600 or so TV show episodes. Plenty more to rip, but I've generally been adding as I need them, with the occasional "well I've got the discs out anyway, might as well do a large batch at once" in there. Some of the rips, especially the kids' stuff, are pretty old and low-quality, as they were optimized for size given the devices they were originally ripped for, so I may re-do some of them that have lasting power (like the Disney animated stuff).

mcarling

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2009
I own 375 iTunes movies (almost all HD) in my US iTunes account plus a few dozen in my French iTunes account. I have no idea how many TBs that is, but it must be somewhere near 2TB (assuming an average of about 5GB per movie).

i have over 1000 movies that all have been bought at the blockbuster and hollywood video where I live. I hold a world record for the biggest dvd collection that hasnt been copied or downloaded

My father has over 5000 DVDs all in the original packaging, none of which were copied, downloaded, or otherwise stolen. He used to have more than 5000 VHS tapes in the original packaging, none of which were copied, downloaded, or otherwise stolen, but I think most of those are gone now. A small part of his collection is every movie which has ever won an Academy Award, from the beginning to the present, including relatively minor Academy Awards like best soundtrack. That's not even close to a world record. Martin Scorcese has over 30,000, which may be a world record.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
That's not even close to a world record. Martin Scorcese has over 30,000, which may be a world record.
You may want to check the dates of the post you quoted. That poster hasn't been seen in the forum since posting that (their first and only post) over 6 years ago. I agree, though, 1000 movies isn't anywhere near any kind of record.

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
So, how's everyone doing this? Obviously you've got Gb's to Tb's of ripped material / iTunes purchases on a hard drive somewhere. Desktop setup or a networked drive and a laptop? How are you viewing with your ATV? Are you transferring favorites back and forth to the ATV drive or streaming?

I've a Mac Mini Server attached to a Drobo 5D, populated with 3TB drives. It's running iTunes to feed a couple of ATV's, and StreamToMe for streaming to iPad's ( it's quicker than connecting via Home Sharing, and will play iTunes content ).

I've about ~650 movies, and ~90 tv series ( ~5000 episode ) mostly all ripped from my DVDs / BDs, about 5.6TB including my lossless music.... Hoping the ATV UI is updated to handle larger libraries, as it's a right PITA scrolling up and down....

sulliweb

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
Only 76 movies, but I have 4060 TV Episodes. A total of about 108 days worth of run time, and yeah, I don't really need that much. I also don't pay for cable.

I buy a few shows a year from iTunes or on DVD. It gives me more options, and I pay a lot less. Well, I finished upgrading my NAS to 4TB drives last year, so I ended up paying the same or maybe $50 more than I would have if I'd had cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.