Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
I've tried 3 different Samsung phones after their respective releases over the past few years, and each time have returned them.

They are garbage, really. And I hate touch wiz.

I replaced them with htc's and lg androids. I've also been an iPhone user at the same time with each of these...biz and personal phones.

Since the Note 4 isn't out yet I can't say whether I would like it or not. But the odds are not good.

I agree, if you're going Android, the HTC One series phones are always a better choice, or a Nexus if you care about getting the updates on time.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Note 4 is arguably the best hardware available. Too bad it's ruined by Samsungs lack of craftsmanship and a poorly integrated OS.

Always found this type of response odd. Every single Note 4 review so far is raving about the quality of the hardware and its craftsmanship, what particularly do you not like? Also I still don't get the poorly integrated OS, what's is poorly integrated?

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Always found this type of response odd. Every single Note 4 review so far is raving about the quality of the hardware and its craftsmanship, what particularly do you not like? Also I still don't get the poorly integrated OS, what's is poorly integrated?

Touchwiz sitting on top of Android OS with a bunch of Samsung-written specific device drivers that bog down memory, systems resources and just have plain bugs.

And the comparison is usually to other Samsung devices.

I will withhold comment until I see the Note 4 myself but my Note 3 with its flimsy faux leather plastic backing, a SIM slot that you have to use a piece of tape to remove the SIM card from, a wobbly battery in the compartment, spontaneous reboots whenever you bumped the device, a faulty NFC chip, a low powered CDMA radio, a chrome-painted plastic bezel surround, etc etc etc.

Its just not good craftsmanship. Its cheap plastic. Screen is beautiful, I'll give them that. But all that fancy hardware is loosely cobbled together with a bunch of glue-ware that bloats up and already bloated Android OS.

Yes, I eventually rooted...and No, the experience wasn't any better. Worse actually after rooting.

Nexus was a good device, albeit minimal specs much more akin to Apple. I liked the HTC's and LG's but I think Samsung's ship has sailed. They are too consumed with spec wars and now just throw things in there "just because." Reminds me of the Sony Vaio line of laptops from the earlier part of this century. Remember the selector wheel? I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that on a Samsung device soon.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Touchwiz sitting on top of Android OS with a bunch of Samsung-written specific device drivers that bog down memory, systems resources and just have plain bugs.

And the comparison is usually to other Samsung devices.

I will withhold comment until I see the Note 4 myself but my Note 3 with its flimsy faux leather plastic backing, a SIM slot that you have to use a piece of tape to remove the SIM card from, a wobbly battery in the compartment, spontaneous reboots whenever you bumped the device, a faulty NFC chip, a low powered CDMA radio, a chrome-painted plastic bezel surround, etc etc etc.

Its just not good craftsmanship. Its cheap plastic. Screen is beautiful, I'll give them that. But all that fancy hardware is loosely cobbled together with a bunch of glue-ware that bloats up and already bloated Android OS.

Yes, I eventually rooted...and No, the experience wasn't any better. Worse actually after rooting.

Nexus was a good device, albeit minimal specs much more akin to Apple. I liked the HTC's and LG's but I think Samsung's ship has sailed. They are too consumed with spec wars and now just throw things in there "just because." Reminds me of the Sony Vaio line of laptops from the earlier part of this century. Remember the selector wheel? I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that on a Samsung device soon.

No slowdowns, bogdowns, memory slowness or bugs that I've seen on my Note 3. I've said it before, this is just overexaggerated grossly, the same as some android fans overexaggerate iOS lag and safari issues. In practice it either doesn't exist, or is such a tiny millisecond of time that it's just minutiae thrown up as a counter argument.

As for the Note 3, it's FAR from flimsy. What's your definition of "flimsy"? My Note 3 doesn't flex, it doesn't creak, the screen doesn't come come off, the pleather backing is awesome, feels great, provides grip and best of all takes away the need for a thick plastic cover like most iPhone users will have. No wobbly battery here. I've NEVER had a spontaneous reboot bumping the device, sorry I can excuse the rest of the exaggerations but that one's just over the top. Nothing wrong with my NFC chip. I don't have CDMA so I can't vouch for that one. I'll put it next to the thin metal, bends if in my pocket, scratches if I even look at it cross eyed 5s ALL day long. The last solid iPhone IMO was the iPhone 4/4s.

The ONLY things valid IMO are the horrible design to take out the SIM card and the crappy chrome plastic surround, fully agree with you there. But still have to highly disagree otherwise, craftsmanship is very good. I won't put it up to an all metal phone, but this is last years model and I'll have a Note 4 very soon. But "flimsy" is a huge exaggeration and completely inaccurate.

But the Note 3 is off the subject anyhow, my comment was in response to what you said: "Note 4 is arguably the best hardware available. Too bad it's ruined by Samsungs lack of craftsmanship..." Every single review for it has raved about the craftsmanship.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
No slowdowns, bogdowns, memory slowness or bugs that I've seen on my Note 3. I've said it before, this is just overexaggerated grossly, the same as some android fans overexaggerate iOS lag and safari issues. In practice it either doesn't exist, or is such a tiny millisecond of time that it's just minutiae thrown up as a counter argument.

As for the Note 3, it's FAR from flimsy. What's your definition of "flimsy"? My Note 3 doesn't flex, it doesn't creak, the screen doesn't come come off, the pleather backing is awesome, feels great, provides grip and best of all takes away the need for a thick plastic cover like most iPhone users will have. No wobbly battery here. I've NEVER had a spontaneous reboot bumping the device, sorry I can excuse the rest of the exaggerations but that one's just over the top. Nothing wrong with my NFC chip. I don't have CDMA so I can't vouch for that one. I'll put it next to the thin metal, bends if in my pocket, scratches if I even look at it cross eyed 5s ALL day long.

The ONLY things valid IMO are the horrible design to take out the SIM card and the crappy chrome plastic surround, fully agree with you there. But still have to highly disagree otherwise, craftsmanship is very good. I won't put it up to an all metal phone, but this is last years model and I'll have a Note 4 very soon. But "flimsy" is a huge exaggeration and completely inaccurate.

I've read quite a few posts and threads in this very sub-forum talking about problems with the Note 3 - someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of it seemed to stem from an Android update - KitKat I believe.....

Things may be fixed now...my experience with TouchWiz was mixed. But I only ever had the GS4 and it was a nice device.

I'm just not a fan of the way Samsung does things....ads irritate me and I wish they focused more on making great products and less on rushing stuff to market to be first just so they can brag and bash their competitors.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I've read quite a few posts and threads in this very sub-forum talking about problems with the Note 3 - someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of it seemed to stem from an Android update - KitKat I believe.....

Things may be fixed now...my experience with TouchWiz was mixed. But I only ever had the GS4 and it was a nice device.

I'm just not a fan of the way Samsung does things....ads irritate me and I wish they focused more on making great products and less on rushing stuff to market to be first just so they can brag and bash their competitors.

KitKat is very smooth for me I've had no issues. I won't say issues are not out there, but I just hate when it's so grossly exaggerated. But if you don't like touchwiz I can't blame you, everyone's preference is different. Also I can't blame you if you don't like Samsung as a company, that's your prerogative. I don't think they really rush stuff to market, in their main market new technology is valued more than here in the states and they have to balance selling the phone worldwide. I'm not saying Apple doesn't have to either, but a large enough portion of their sales are in the west where they may think differently about new technology and consumers response to that.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010

As for the Note 3, it's FAR from flimsy. What's your definition of "flimsy"? My Note 3 doesn't flex, it doesn't creak, the screen doesn't come come off, the pleather backing is awesome, feels great, provides grip and best of all takes away the need for a thick plastic cover like most iPhone users will have. No wobbly battery here. I've NEVER had a spontaneous reboot bumping the device, sorry I can excuse the rest of the exaggerations but that one's just over the top. Nothing wrong with my NFC chip. I don't have CDMA so I can't vouch for that one. I'll put it next to the thin metal, bends if in my pocket, scratches if I even look at it cross eyed 5s ALL day long. The last solid iPhone IMO was the iPhone 4/4s.

But the Note 3 is off the subject anyhow, my comment was in response to what you said: "Note 4 is arguably the best hardware available. Too bad it's ruined by Samsungs lack of craftsmanship..." Every single review for it has raved about the craftsmanship.

Spontaneous reboots due to poor battery fit was widely publicized during initial launch months.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/galaxy-note-3-problems/
http://blog.brokenlcds.com/samsung-galaxy-note-3-random-restart-and-boot-loop-problem/

There's lots more, google it if you really think I'm being "over the top."

The remainder of the lag could be Touchwiz since I stayed stock for much of my ownership tenure, although that's another beef I have with Android OS in general. Its very, very difficult to pinpoint issues like this as the non-curated nature of apps in the Play store means you could have downloaded and update or a new app that hoses everything else up entirely and you are effectively on your own as the SysAdmin to figure out what went wrong.

Same for fit/finish, etc. Just because you've been lucky or perhaps just haven't noticed because your perspective is different/limited use cases and/or you are more tolerant of poor design doesn't mean its not true. My phone flexes alarmingly, so much so that the back pops off frequently. It creaks any time i try to adjust the volume. And the home button sticks and is crooked...my original and all the refurb'd replacements I've received exhibited the crooked home button out of the box. On my most recent device (I've had this refurb 3 months...longest time of any of these Note 3's), the chrome has worn down to dull gray plastic showing. I have used a case and am now caseless since the radio is so poor that a case obstructs what little signal I can actually get.

The real issue here is that as a human being you and I both tend to believe that our experiences equals or is of greater relevance than those of others. That's called "bias" my friend.

I freely admit that after the cheap (bias), poor (bias) and plasticy (bias) experiences I've had owning and using my Note 3, I'm done with Samsung. Will I look at the Note 4? Sure, I may even buy one because I like gadgets and enjoy tinkering. But as my primary, day-to-day business productivity tool? No way. Its just a gadget (bias) with overblown specs (bias) that is a sign of a company grasping to hang onto market share by throwing in a lot of useless (bias) feature bloat.

OK that last sentence is an opinion, but a biased one. :)

This. They focus so much on adding a feature that they forget to bring the rest of the phone along for the ride. As a result you end up with rapid obsolence and a phone that feels very much frankenstein-ish in delivery.

Last edited:

erzhik

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2010
Forbes is good enough but who cares about Note 4 sales compared to Note 3 sales? You stated that Note 4 would outsell 6+. Again, look up sales numbers and come back if you find information that might support your original assertion.

Are you serious or just trolling? Note 4 hasn't been released yet. And Note 4 will outsell Note 3 for the same reason iPhone 6 outsells iPhone 5S. Note 3 outsold iPhone 5S, therefore 4 will outsell 6+. I provided stats for how popular Note line is and you keep deflecting.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
They sold out pre orders in south Korea

Wether it sells out or not doesn't mean it isn't still the number 1 phone for me.

Don't think there is a better device that does everything a phone should do.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Spontaneous reboots due to poor battery fit was widely publicized during initial launch months.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/galaxy-note-3-problems/
http://blog.brokenlcds.com/samsung-galaxy-note-3-random-restart-and-boot-loop-problem/

There's lots more, google it if you really think I'm being "over the top."

The remainder of the lag could be Touchwiz since I stayed stock for much of my ownership tenure, although that's another beef I have with Android OS in general. Its very, very difficult to pinpoint issues like this as the non-curated nature of apps in the Play store means you could have downloaded and update or a new app that hoses everything else up entirely and you are effectively on your own as the SysAdmin to figure out what went wrong.

Same for fit/finish, etc. Just because you've been lucky or perhaps just haven't noticed because your perspective is different/limited use cases and/or you are more tolerant of poor design doesn't mean its not true. My phone flexes alarmingly, so much so that the back pops off frequently. It creaks any time i try to adjust the volume. And the home button sticks and is crooked...my original and all the refurb'd replacements I've received exhibited the crooked home button out of the box. On my most recent device (I've had this refurb 3 months...longest time of any of these Note 3's), the chrome has worn down to dull gray plastic showing. I have used a case and am now caseless since the radio is so poor that a case obstructs what little signal I can actually get.

The real issue here is that as a human being you and I both tend to believe that our experiences equals or is of greater relevance than those of others. That's called "bias" my friend.

I freely admit that after the cheap (bias), poor (bias) and plasticy (bias) experiences I've had owning and using my Note 3, I'm done with Samsung. Will I look at the Note 4? Sure, I may even buy one because I like gadgets and enjoy tinkering. But as my primary, day-to-day business productivity tool? No way. Its just a gadget (bias) with overblown specs (bias) that is a sign of a company grasping to hang onto market share by throwing in a lot of useless (bias) feature bloat.

OK that last sentence is an opinion, but a biased one. :)

This. They focus so much on adding a feature that they forget to bring the rest of the phone along for the ride. As a result you end up with rapid obsolence and a phone that feels very much frankenstein-ish in delivery.

I haven't experienced any of these issues. I'm not saying they don't exist as I haven't owned every single Note 3 phone in existence, it's just the hardware hardly feels "flimsy" and I stand by my premise that this is a gross exaggeration. The back of my Note 3 has never come even remotely close to popping off if I flexed the phone, this is completely nuts and also a gross exaggeration. Please post a video of your back popping off when you flex the phone, PLEASE.

I won't disagree with the bias statement. Maybe I'm biased because the 2 Note 3's I've owned have shown none of your complaints. Or maybe you are biased because the ones you've owned have been crappy. Fair enough, maybe you got bad hardware, maybe I got the only quality 2 Samsung ever made out of millions.

But in all fairness, ya just gotta upload that video of the back popping off if you flex the phone. I have to see that. Has anyone else had this happen?

sotorious

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
I hope people don't camp out I want this thing available as hell so I can walk in a pick one up after work

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
Are you serious or just trolling? Note 4 hasn't been released yet. And Note 4 will outsell Note 3 for the same reason iPhone 6 outsells iPhone 5S. Note 3 outsold iPhone 5S, therefore 4 will outsell 6+. I provided stats for how popular Note line is and you keep deflecting.

You have a reading comprehension problem. Simple really.
You stated that Note 4 would outsell 6+. I disagreed. You didnt mention a timeline and I really dont care as the Note 4 will NOT outsell the 6+, in a year or a quarter.

You havent provided any data to support your statement that the Note 4 will outsell the 6+. In fact, if you showed the Note 3 outselling the 5S, that might help your case. But you havent.

Again, read YOUR statement that the Note 4 would outsell 6+. Maybe go slowly this time as you read? Not being rude but some people struggle with reading their own emphatic statements.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Always with the touchwiz hate, that thing handled just fine on my Note 3 :confused: and not single slowdown.

----------

You have a reading comprehension problem. Simple really.
You stated that Note 4 would outsell 6+. I disagreed. You didnt mention a timeline and I really dont care as the Note 4 will NOT outsell the 6+, in a year or a quarter.

You havent provided any data to support your statement that the Note 4 will outsell the 6+. In fact, if you showed the Note 3 outselling the 5S, that might help your case. But you havent.

Again, read YOUR statement that the Note 4 would outsell 6+. Maybe go slowly this time as you read? Not being rude but some people struggle with reading their own emphatic statements.

Apple is offering 2 current models this year mate, to say that the Note 4 (the original phablet?) will outsell the 6+ its not far fetched.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

You have no idea what you're talking about. The Note 3 DID NOT outsell the 5S, not even close. It's not even Samsungs best selling phone.

And until this year, the Note line had no serious competitor. The 6+ may not outsell the Note 4, but it will take a serious chunk of their sales. If I was a betting man, I probably bet on the Note 4, but it's going to be close.

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
Always with the touchwiz hate, that thing handled just fine on my Note 3 :confused: and not single slowdown.

----------

Apple is offering 2 current models this year mate, to say that the Note 4 (the original phablet?) will outsell the 6+ its not far fetched.

Agree. I didnt really have an issue with the OP until he failed to read his own statements. But whatever.
If I were a betting man (I'm not!), I would bet that within 12 months of their respective releases, the 6+ will probably outsell the Note 4 by a healthy margin. Time will tell.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Agree. I didnt really have an issue with the OP until he failed to read his own statements. But whatever.
If I were a betting man (I'm not!), I would bet that within 12 months of their respective releases, the 6+ will probably outsell the Note 4 by a healthy margin. Time will tell.
You might be right but I don't think Samsung fans expected otherwise. Apple iPhone will always sell millions. More so right now as it's something new. Don't think it's a better device though.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Something like...

"Please lord, don't let 6+ production ramp up till after the Note 4 release..."

Idiots, they announce the Note 4, generate a ton of excitement over the specs and features, then wait a month to release it AFTER the best selling phone on the planet releases it's phablet for the first time.

I'm going to really like my N4 and will be first in line, but at this point someone at Samsung marketing needs to be fired.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
...... yes, this is a joke. What are the odds in these phones even remotely selling out? Slim to none I'd say. I work with a bunch of Android fans and I love rubbing this in their faces. lol

I am happy with someone rubbing it in that I am not stupid enough to stand in line for a device that if one showed some patience, you could easily get next week.... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Idiots, they announce the Note 4, generate a ton of excitement over the specs and features, then wait a month to release it AFTER the best selling phone on the planet releases it's phablet for the first time.

I'm going to really like my N4 and will be first in line, but at this point someone at Samsung marketing needs to be fired.

Totally agree. It's like the old paper launches of VideoCards, they show off a wicked new PC Gaming card, and then say, oh yeah it won't actually be for sale until like two months from now :rolleyes: And then sales aren't that great on release.

Samsung had a great opportunity to seize, the Note series is their hot product, dare I say hotter than the S line ? They show off the brand new Note 4, and then nothing, just tumbles weeds blowing, crickets chirping, not even a firm release date was mentioned at the Note 4 announcement. Just saying sometime next month.

I am no iPhone fan at all, not into Fisher Price toy phones, but anyways, I will admit Apple does it right, they announce it, show it off, and then a week later it's in stores really for sale.

But I don't even want the Note 4, I am so burned out and sick of the bloated laggy Touchwiz. Bring on the Nexus X phablet from Motorola.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
I don't pre-order ever, but I've never been more sure of what phone I'm going to buy. After looking at the iPhone 6+ in person, it's simply just a bigger iPhone. The iPhones actually look and feel somewhat cheap, and way too slippery. Then you add all the pics and videos of the darn thing bending so easy, it adds up to a no purchase for me. The Note 4 on the other hand is so darn compelling. And totally looks like a premium product. My final thoughts will happen when I get to hold one. But all indications are this is still the king of the smartphone world.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I'm pre ordering mine on Friday with three. Will head to toe Check out the plus as well just to see it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.