Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

truth1ness

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2011
When you put your phone in your pocket face the glass towards your body.

The sample I am basing this advice on is 1) the pictures of the recently bent 6+'s 2) google image searching "bent iphone" which turned up dozens of previous generation bent iphones. Every single instance I have been able to find has the iphones bending the same way, edges bent away from the glass, and usually at the buttons (the weak point in the aluminum), but the glass is left intact because it doesn't bend nearly as easily and has no weak point.

So to use this to your advantage what you want to do is put the glass, which is the more rigid side, closer to your body to better resist the bending force exerted by your body. My theory is that this should greatly reduce your (already low) chance of bending your phone. I do this already because it protects the glass from banging into things just walking around and there is no downside so consider it for extra insurance against bending for your phone. I obviously don't have a QA lab and dozens of iPhones to scientifically test this, but I think there is good support for my recommendation based on the overwhelming way all the bent iphone examples have bent so far.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Not sure if the glass side is the more "rigid" side. But I have done this since my first iPhone (4) because I didn't want to bang into something while walking. I'd rather damage the back over the front if I had to choose between the two.

BJabs

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Not sure if the glass side is the more "rigid" side. But I have done this since my first iPhone (4) because I didn't want to bang into something while walking. I'd rather damage the back over the front if I had to choose between the two.

Yeah, isn't this, like, basic logic? There are jagged, hard things out there that I may walk into, damaging the screen, while my leg...won't do that.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
I do this already but it is a pretty good idea. It's stupid you have to do it at all but whatever.

JamesMowery

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
I already do this — and would recommend the same for others — mainly to prevent myself from bumping into something and scratching the glass. I had this happen with an old Droid phone many years ago. It taught me to always have the glass pointing towards you. Done it that way ever since.

And now— regardless of whether this iPhone bending thing is a real issue or not — I'm going to be even more aware of making sure to do it that way. :)

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Yeah, isn't this, like, basic logic? There are jagged, hard things out there that I may walk into, damaging the screen, while my leg...won't do that.

Yup. But you have to be aware each time you slip your phone into your pocket. Some people (including friends of mine) don't make sure the glass is facing inward each time they put their phone back into their pocket. And as a result, they damage their phone. And wonder how it happened...

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
I already do this, but for a very different reason than preventing bending or damage (my wallet sits on the outside of my pocket, my phone on the inside, so I doubt anything will be smacking into the phone). I do this because it lets me slide my hand into my pocket, with my palm facing towards my body, and along the length of the phone so I can make sure I have a good grip across the entire phone, and then pull it out. If the glass were facing away from my body, I'd have to grip the phone from just the sides, or twist my hand. Keeping the glass facing my body is much simpler.

Bill Donato

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
Much simpliar way of avoiding bending

How about the obvious Android users just not forget that they have and been bent also.......even some of melted because of the plastic casing

My goodness people, just use and carry your phone in a logical (non stupid)
way and hence no problem..........

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
How about the obvious Android users just not forget that they have and been bent also.......even some of melted because of the plastic casing

My goodness people, just use and carry your phone in a logical (non stupid)
way and hence no problem..........

Carrying your phone in your front pocket is illogical and stupid?

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
A thin plastic rigid case will solve the issue. Not one on those super slim one that are pliable, but something like a Spigen thin fit case. It's like adding a reinforcing back plate and side panel. I know many don't care for cases, but for those that do, and are worried about bending, a rigid thin case would be better than those flexible soft cases.

Bill Donato

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
Sir when phones got to be phablet size, carrying them in a front pocket of tight jeans is stupid. In the back pocket of jeans or even dress slacks is stupid........come on, for gods sake, go back to a smaller phone if you cannot come up with a safe LOGICAL body place to carry it........I cant even believe we are discussing this..........If you do not, what ever phone you have. BENT OR BROKE, then use your head where you put it.........I don't care what phone in that size range, you will possibly damage it........and I do not mean just IPHONE 6 plus.........you wanna drive for hours with a phone in your back pocket sitting on it, or play football or baseball or basketball with it in some pocket, then I would highly suggest you go back to a flip phone........and a small one at that.........good grief......

Vihzel

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
Sir when phones got to be phablet size, carrying them in a front pocket of tight jeans is stupid. In the back pocket of jeans or even dress slacks is stupid........come on, for gods sake, go back to a smaller phone if you cannot come up with a safe LOGICAL body place to carry it........I cant even believe we are discussing this..........If you do not, what ever phone you have. BENT OR BROKE, then use your head where you put it.........I don't care what phone in that size range, you will possibly damage it........and I do not mean just IPHONE 6 plus.........you wanna drive for hours with a phone in your back pocket sitting on it, or play football or baseball or basketball with it in some pocket, then I would highly suggest you go back to a flip phone........and a small one at that.........good grief......

I think your "." key got stuck a couple times.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
I felt like this was something that was known lol

I agree. The first time I put the Plus in my front pants pocket, I thought to myself, this won't end well if I sit with the phone in my pocket. It's quite obvious the first time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.