Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Well guys I finally did it. I had to wait in line for 6 hours but it was completely worth getting rid of those abominations. Why? Because EVERY app places the guide buttons on the top and the button of the screen. And with the 6 Plus it is IMPOSSIBLE to reach the top buttons without

A) Shimming the phone in your hand = inconvenient, carpel tunnel, and high chance of dropping

B) Using accessibly mode = inconvenient.

Furthermore:

C) Heavy and weight is spread out around your entire hand (unlike the 4S where it is concentrated in your palm) so holding it vertical is very fatiguing on your hand muscles.

D) Landscape mode sucks.

We were shown this:

iphone-1.jpg

and we got this:

iphone-6-plus-keyboard.jpg

Seriously, 25% of the screen is used to display text in landscape. It's basically unusable. You can maximize the text area and remove the list of contacts but then it's no better than the iPhone 6.

E) Accelerometer is too sensitive. I'd find myself accidentally switching to widescreen mode on the home screen way too often.

For you guys wondering about my specs, I am 6'2 with slightly longer than average aka "piano player" fingers. I'd wager only Shaq and a few other NBA players can hold a 6 Plus comfortably without ANY sacrifices.

Cliff Notes:

Pros: Great battery life, awesome screen [reading], good camera

Cons: Unusable with one-hand; (Apple) software is lacking.

Last edited:

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
I can agree with this, the 6+ is great for some but for most customers it's simply too much a burden to try and have a mini-tablet as your smartphone.

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
Why'd you buy it, then? Your complaints don't seem like they were ever in the market for a larger phone of that size, anyway. The Plus is truly a micro-tablet and can't be expected to be used in the same way as an iPhone 5s was.

And obviously the software is lacking — the device hasn't even been out a week yet! Apps haven't been updated yet and likely won't for a few more weeks.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
How was the weight distribution of the 4S any different? I used that thing for three years, and like the 6 Plus, the weight was distributed evenly across the entire surface.

And I don't know what you expected for D. What we were shown is what we got. Of course a keyboard is going to come up if you actually want to input something.

My only complaint about the landscape keyboard is that all the keys are in the center, which actually makes them super hard to reach. Apple should make an option to have them on the side like in Windows 8. But this is also why we get custom keyboards now.

Like other people have said, give it time with the software. The unfortunate truth is that pretty much every company comes out with half baked software when they release new hardware, because they know they can just update it later via Internet. But that's just how it is, and it's a double edged sword, because it means Apple can add improvements that no one could have thought of during the development process.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Well to be fair, the "shown" picture is without the keyboard. With the keyboard up, it's obviously different. Did you expect anything else?

The thing to be learned is that people use their phones differently. Some people don't care about one handed use. Some do. And so on.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
I pre-ordered a 6 for myself and bought the 2 Plus for my parents. I knew the cons and figured it wasn't worth it from me but wagered that my parents would take the pros over the cons. 2 days later they both asked for a smaller phone. My mom couldn't fit the Plus in a lot of her pants and my dad's hand got tired using the device.

I was debating keeping device as shown in this thread but in the end I felt like i was forcing myself to use it.

@ mys... With the 4S, the wright is placed center into your hand and toward your palm; with the Plus it's spread over the entire hand.

mademan118

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007
I also returned 2 16GB iPhone 6+ phones today. But thats because I bought 2 64GB iPhone 6+'s instead :D! This phone rocks everyone! Do not be discouraged. I COULD NOT IMAGINE GOING TO ANYTHING SMALLER. Once you go Plus, you won't go back!

komiothebeat

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
Corona, CA
Well guys I finally did it. I had to wait in line for 6 hours but it was completely worth getting rid of those abominations. Why? Because EVERY app places the guide buttons on the top and the button of the screen. And with the 6 Plus it is IMPOSSIBLE to reach the top buttons without

A) Shimming the phone in your hand = inconvenient, carpel tunnel, and high chance of dropping

Furthermore:

C) Heavy and weight is spread out around the entire device (unlike the 4S) so holding it vertical is also fatiguing on your hand muscles.

D) Landscape mode sucks.

We were shown this:

and we got this:

Seriously, 25% of the screen is used to display text in landscape. It's basically unusable.

For you guys wondering about my specs, I am 6'2 with slightly longer than average aka "piano player" fingers. I'd wager only Shaq and a few other NBA players can hold a 6 Plus comfortably without ANY sacrifices.

Cliff Notes:

Cons: Unusable with one-hand; software is lacking.

i kinda lol'd ...

The picture they shown at the Event is of the messages screen....

and the one your comparing it to is the notes app... LOL

HXGuyAZ

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
I also returned 2 16GB iPhone 6+ phones today. But thats because I bought 2 64GB iPhone 6+'s instead :D! This phone rocks everyone! Do not be discouraged. I COULD NOT IMAGINE GOING TO ANYTHING SMALLER. Once you go Plus, you won't go back!

Um I had a 6+ and I went back...to a 6. As a phone, the 6+ is not very usable. As a micro-tablet, sure.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
i kinda lol'd ...

Agreed.

I just checked my phone and the messages screen as per Apple demo.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I pre-ordered a 6 for myself and bought the 2 Plus for my parents. I knew the cons and figured it wasn't worth it from me but wagered that my parents would take the pros over the cons. 2 days later they both asked for a smaller phone. My mom couldn't fit the Plus in a lot of her pants and my dad's hand got tired using the device.

I was debating keeping device as shown in this thread but in the end I felt like i was forcing myself to use it.

@ mys... With the 4S, the wright is placed center into your hand and toward your palm; with the Plus it's spread over the entire hand.

What the...?!?! That's because the 4/4S fits INSIDE your hand. Not because of weight distribution. The weight distribution could of skewed in any part or parts of the 4/4S and you would still feel it as "center" of your hand. Because the whole damn thing fit in your hand... Weight distribution has no relevance here.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
What the...?!?! That's because the 4/4S fits INSIDE your hand. Not because of weight distribution. The weight distribution could of skewed in any part or parts of the 4/4S and you would still feel it as "center" of your hand. Because the whole damn thing fit in your hand... Weight distribution has no relevance here.

The weight distribution across your hand.

Um I had a 6+ and I went back...to a 6. As a phone, the 6+ is not very usable. As a micro-tablet, sure.

It's not even useful as that because the widescreen mode is borderline useless when the keyboard covers half the screen and another quarter is used to display useless information.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley

It's not even useful as that because the widescreen mode is borderline useless when the keyboard covers half the screen and another quarter is used to display useless information.

Weight can't distribute across the hand if it the whole damn thing fits within the hand...

So you'd rather have the left panel not be there? Hey! You just got exactly what every iPhone on iOS 8 gets (except for 6 Plus)... And yet you will probably complain that it's also a waste of space.

Q Bert

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2011
Chicago Burbs

You're either misinformed or using it wrong. By default, when you put the phone on landscape mode while on iMessage, the keyboard is enabled thus covering half of the screen. You can make it disappear by tapping the keyboard button on the lower right.

And even if you are using the 6, your complaint about the keyboard will still be there albeit on a smaller screen so your argument is pointless. Again, make the keyboard disappear by tapping the button I mentioned

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
You're either misinformed or using it wrong. By default, when you put the phone on landscape mode while on iMessage, the keyboard is enabled thus covering half of the screen. You can make it disappear by tapping the keyboard button on the lower right.

And even if you are using the 6, your complaint about the keyboard will still be there albeit on a smaller screen so your argument is pointless. Again, make the keyboard disappear by tapping the button I mentioned

If I disable the kb then I can't type and if I enable the kb I get far less lines of text then portrait mode = useless to use.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
i kinda lol'd ...

Agreed.

I guess the OP is complaining that "25% of the screen is used to display text in landscape" if you do bring up the keyboard in the messages screen.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
I guess the OP is complaining that "25% of the screen is used to display text in landscape" if you do bring up the keyboard in the messages screen.

Yeah, so? The keyboard takes up space. It's even worse on pretty much every other device.

Makav3li

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2010
Agreed.

i kinda lol'd ...

lol at this point you have to laugh at the amount of stupidity and ignorance of most of these threads. the amount of comments that i have read through where people have no idea wth they are talking about is mind numbing.

Q Bert

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2011
Chicago Burbs
If I disable the kb then I can't type and if I enable the kb I get far less lines of text then portrait mode = useless to use.

If you were to design the layout, how small do you want it to be? I understand that when you need to type, you have to summon the kb. Do you need to see the whole 100% of the iMessage, Notes, etc while typing? I dont know about you, but while I'm typing, I am looking at the keyboard and I would like it to be an adequate size so that I input the correct letter.

Or maybe you want your kb as small as possible like it only occupies 10% of the screen. Goodluck typing in that. Have you used a Treo? I hate typing in those because the keyboard is small with tiny buttons

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
If you were to design the layout, how small do you want it to be? I understand that when you need to type, you have to summon the kb. Do you need to see the whole 100% of the iMessage, Notes, etc while typing? I dont know about you, but while I'm typing, I am looking at the keyboard and I would like it to be an adequate size so that I input the correct letter.

Or maybe you want your kb as small as possible like it only occupies 10% of the screen. Goodluck typing in that. Have you used a Treo? I hate typing in those because the keyboard is small with tiny buttons

I'd remove the list of other numbers on the left so the entire upper portion is used to display message text.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008

Furthermore:

C) Heavy and weight is spread out around the entire device (unlike the 4S) so holding it vertical is also fatiguing on your hand muscles.

D) Landscape mode sucks.

We were shown this:

and we got this:

Seriously, 25% of the screen is used to display text in landscape. It's basically unusable.

E) Accelerometer is too sensitive. I'd find myself accidentally switching to widescreen mode on the home screen way too often.

Cliff Notes:

Cons: Unusable with one-hand; software is lacking.

im 5'7 with girl hands and i use the 6 plus just fine.

way too many complainers on this site lately. what do you expect from a 5.5" phone? you expect it to fit in your hand the same as a 4". You should use your brain and think things will fit differently if they are bigger...
There is nothing wrong with the 6 plus. ITS NOT MEANT FOR ONE HAND USE. DO people with phones over 5" brag about using them with one hand comfortably...?
you are showing the notes app with the keyboard up and they are showing messages app with keyboard down(WHICH IT LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE THE PICTURE SHOWN).
Seriously i don't understand people on here lately. buy a 6 or go back to a 5s and be done with it. be happy with life and stop complaining so much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.