Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HalfTechie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2014
I've done some research but can't find a satisfactory solution. I want to play Pandora radio on my 2nd gen, IOS 4.2.1. ipod touch. When I try to download, it says I need 6.0 and won't offer an older version app. I've read about IPAs and jailbreaks and such without luck in finding a reliable way to do this. I'm concerned, also, about downloading sketchy apps from the Internet. I can't believe there isn't a way to get an older version of the Pandora app, but I've tried and can't locate one. Any advice? Thanks.

headsh0t95

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Netherlands
You already got yourself the answer. If your device won't offer an older version of Pandora, the only way to get an old version, is to download an ipa. You will have to find out yourself how to do this, as talking about it is not allowed on this forum.

HalfTechie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2014
You already got yourself the answer. If your device won't offer an older version of Pandora, the only way to get an old version, is to download an ipa. You will have to find out yourself how to do this, as talking about it is not allowed on this forum.

OH! I didn't know! OK, thanks..... :eek:

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
If it helps, I just installed it on my 2nd gen touch that I downgraded to iOS 3.1.3, version 4.4 is compatible with iOS 3 and 4.2.

There are some projects out there looking to remedy this. The largest being
http://www.apptimemachine.com/

It's part of Whited00r, http://www.whited00r.com/tutorial-apptimemachine?lang=en

Whited00r itself has a built in app store for obtaining these older apps, but it also has a lot more to it than that, including an iOS 7 theme. I ran it, but downgraded to stock 3.1.3 with a jailbreak to install only what I wanted.

There are various guides to cracking apps if you need to. I was lucky though and saved older versions of my apps that were directly from the App store (official). If you use time machine on a mac, you might be able to go back and see if you have a previous version.

That all being said, when I was on iOS 4, the App store actually did offer me an older version. Odd... iOS 3 however doesn't support this.

LMC91

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2014
Usually this works for me, open up iTunes on your computer, search on the app store section and find your app, click the download button. Once it starts downloading, just cancel it, go back to your iPod Touch and try download the app on that, the download button should of changed to a little arrow thing, tap that and hopefully then it will ask you to download an earlier version. Good luck.

HalfTechie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2014
Usually this works for me, open up iTunes on your computer, search on the app store section and find your app, click the download button. Once it starts downloading, just cancel it, go back to your iPod Touch and try download the app on that, the download button should of changed to a little arrow thing, tap that and hopefully then it will ask you to download an earlier version. Good luck.

LMC91, THAT DID IT!!!!! I can't thank you enough as I've been trying for a year to get Pandora working on my stereo through this ipod. I came close to trying the jailbreak and .ipa but that was getting too complicated. None of the other download attempts asked if I wanted the older version, but this worked.

Thanks to all the other replies for trying to help me. I really appreciate everyone's input. I'm ecstatic over getting this to finally work! Thank you thank you! :D:D:D

LMC91

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2014
Glad to hear :)

I think why this works is because I think the feature is to allow people that owned the app before to redownload it again if they deleted it and can't get the latest version of the app because of the firmware, it's to keep the people that bought and used it before happy. But using iTunes to buy it, the App Store sees that you already own it and is happy to offer the older version of the app.

jrecords

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2014

Thanks LMC91: It worked for me too! and lets me continue using my old iPod Touch 4.2.1 (which does not support iOS6) as my at home dedicated Pandora player hooked up to my speakers (I had to restore my iPodT today and in so doing lost my Pandora and when I tried to restore it-before I found your advice-the app store wouldn't let me). Anyway, when I followed your protocol and started downloading it thru my laptop, it never gave me the chance to cancel, and when I then went back to my iPodT the download button had NOT changed to a "little arrow thing", so I really didn't think it was going to work, but still clicked on the still-the-same download button and it did download, and the download does indeed work. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

jimhrb

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
old version of Pandora

I tried that with no success. should the device, iPhone3, be connected to computer when downloading? ...or any other hints?
Thanks

LMC91

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2014
I tried that with no success. should the device, iPhone3, be connected to computer when downloading? ...or any other hints?
Thanks

It depends. Are you on iOS4 or higher? I think someone on here mentioned it doesn't work on earlier version of iOS.

Was the app you're looking for working on an earlier version of iOS before? Because some apps and games where never made for an earlier version of iOS and require a minimum firmware to work.

If it was working on an earlier version of iOS before, go on iTunes and start downloading the app using the same account, you don't need to download the full app or have your device connected to the computer. When you know it's downloading, just cancel it, that way you then own the app. Go on to your iPhone, go to the App Store and find your app. The little download icon should change to like an arrow pointing down, but another user on here said theirs didn't change but it downloaded anyway, so try download it and see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.