Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve1960

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
Singapore
I am new to this forum and relatively new to Apple products. I have a little computer knowledge (of course a little knowledge can be dangerous!). I have put together a home network which works just fine but do wonder if there was a more efficient way of doing it. I thought those with more expertise than me might have some suggestions although that might just be 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'!

Service providers 802.11n router connected by Ethernet directly to service providers Internet TV box, Smart DVD player (rarely used), unmanaged switch and Powerline box.

Unmanaged switch connected by Ethernet to Apple Time Capsule 802.11ac, Smart TV, Apple TV, UK TV VPN box, daughters bedroom and far side of living room.

Unmanaged switch in main bedroom connected by Ethernet to Smart TV and Apple TV.

Unmanaged switch far side of living room connected to Thunderbolt hub which in turn connects to Macbook Pro and 8TB Thunderbolt Duo.

Both routers wireless networks are switched on and appear to work in harmony together. My wife and I use the TC WiFi, my daughter and guests use the service provider router WiFi.

I backup my Mac Pro and digital DVD collection to the Thunderbolt Duo. My wife's Mac Air is backed up to the TC and also a 1TB hard drive hanging off the USB port on the TC.

The Powerline box connected to the service providers router has the other box in the main bedroom. There are three metal stud walls between the routers and the bedroom and signal is non existent. I can't easily move a router and my wife only uses the Powerline connection occasionally when laying on the bed resting!

So it's all quite convoluted. Have I over complicated things?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I am new to this forum and relatively new to Apple products. I have a little computer knowledge (of course a little knowledge can be dangerous!). I have put together a home network which works just fine but do wonder if there was a more efficient way of doing it. I thought those with more expertise than me might have some suggestions although that might just be 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'!

Service providers 802.11n router connected by Ethernet directly to service providers Internet TV box, Smart DVD player (rarely used), unmanaged switch and Powerline box.

Unmanaged switch connected by Ethernet to Apple Time Capsule 802.11ac, Smart TV, Apple TV, UK TV VPN box, daughters bedroom and far side of living room.

Unmanaged switch in main bedroom connected by Ethernet to Smart TV and Apple TV.

Unmanaged switch far side of living room connected to Thunderbolt hub which in turn connects to Macbook Pro and 8TB Thunderbolt Duo.

Both routers wireless networks are switched on and appear to work in harmony together. My wife and I use the TC WiFi, my daughter and guests use the service provider router WiFi.

I backup my Mac Pro and digital DVD collection to the Thunderbolt Duo. My wife's Mac Air is backed up to the TC and also a 1TB hard drive hanging off the USB port on the TC.

The Powerline box connected to the service providers router has the other box in the main bedroom. There are three metal stud walls between the routers and the bedroom and signal is non existent. I can't easily move a router and my wife only uses the Powerline connection occasionally when laying on the bed resting!

So it's all quite convoluted. Have I over complicated things?

I would personally set the ISP's equipment to simply modem (bridge) mode and use only the Time Capsule as the router on the network. The Time Capsule can broadcast two networks with a main LAN and one for guests which gets strictly Internet access and no network access.

eduardrw

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2013
I second that.
Look either for "bridge mode" or "dmz" in connection with your ISP router/modem model number in a google search. (preference bridge)

The configuration would then be:
ISP modem ----- Time Capsule then:

--- switch
---- other devices
---- Powerline

If you wanted you could connect a refurbished $75 Airport Express in the Bedroom to the power line. That would give your wife cable less freedom while relaxing.

steve1960

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
Singapore
I did actually try that configuration originally but could not get the network connection to work reliably even with assistance from Apple technical. When I moved the TC connection to the switch everything worked fine.

The Powerline is wireless so my wife does not have to make a wired connection.

Thanks for the input guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.