Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
1. you are using chrome
2. Your memory pressure is low

You are missing the point. Apple posted that Mavericks and Yosemite uses ram differently now in Activity Monitor, and if Your Pressure Point is in the Green, you are doing just fine. No need and never need 16 GB of ram.

Read this dog gone it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5890?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Just to satisfy my curiosity I fired up all my high usage apps. Everything running at one time memory usage was 37% in the green.

I am totally surprised and amazed that I always had 500 MB of ram left with10 high usage apps running.

My apologies but I still think 8GB is a must.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Just to satisfy my curiosity I fired up all my high usage apps. Everything running at one time memory usage was 37% in the green.

I am totally surprised and amazed that I always had 500 MB of ram left with10 high usage apps running.

My apologies but I still think 8GB is a must.

Yup... 8 GB is about right for some, but not 16 GB and that will cost you if one just does the basic computer stuff and nothing demanding. ;)

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
That's a prejudice.

chrome://gpu

tells you, that Chrome uses hardware acceleration on the OS X platform, wherever possible. And AFAIK the Chrome developers use also PGO.
I have used google chrome and it caused severe problems!
Others experienced the same. There are numerous accounts on this forum that google apps block memory, cause cpu heat and fans spinning like crazy.

I've experienced this first hand and there is no reason I see for using google products.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
I have used google chrome and it caused severe problems!
Others experienced the same. There are numerous accounts on this forum that google apps block memory, cause cpu heat and fans spinning like crazy.

I've experienced this first hand and there is no reason I see for using google products.

Google Canary Beta seems better than Chrome and now 64bit. Still has some lag in it. Safari in Yosemite seems much faster and smother. Chrome and Canary have a good translator which what I use it most for. HTML5 seems to work better than Safari.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
Best to upgrade to 16GB. 4GB these days barely works well for anything. Shame on Apple for selling one with less than 8GB in this day and age.

No, 16GB is overkill

----------

I use Yosemite with 4GB and it is fine. Sometimes it swaps but no big deal. I also run Virtual Machines fine.

The minimum for Mavericks and Yosemite is 2 GB. I tried 2GB before and it was pretty laggy. The graph was constantly yellow. 4 GB is fine.

Look in Activity Monitor to determine if you need more RAM. Load the apps you usually use, and look at the memory Pressure graph. If it is constantly green, it's good, and you don't need more RAM. If it is constantly yellow, you may want to put in more RAM. If it is constantly red, you should really put in more RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.