Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EmkwanTV

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2013
Dubai
Hi Guys

I'm based in UAE Abu Dhabi/Dubai currently and want to purchase an iPhone from the US that will allow me to get it to work with Etisalat and 3 in UK. I travel between the two.

What model number should I specifically be going for and how do I find this information out?

ybenali

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
Hi Guys

I'm based in UAE Abu Dhabi/Dubai currently and want to purchase an iPhone from the US that will allow me to get it to work with Etisalat and 3 in UK. I travel between the two.

What model number should I specifically be going for and how do I find this information out?

hi

i live in dubai and i just received my 6 and 6plus. get a contract free T-mobile from apple .... it is unlocked even if they don't state it clearly in the website or if you ask them at the store itself. its working fine with me here with 3G and LTE. i also use 3 when i'm in the UK. i didn't try the 6 yet. but i got the same thing last year when the 5s came out and it worked like a charm in 3Uk and in UAE.

good luck finding one though they are all back ordered till middle of november. unless you have someone who will go to a store and try to get you one. the 6 is a bit easier to find than the 6+.

p.s: make sure you don't go an buy it from a t-mobile store. buy it from apple store and tell them you want a contract free t-mobile.

hbennis

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
Waiting for the 6+ 128GB

Also live in Dubai.

I've also ordered a 6+ 128GB T-Mobile unit from store.apple.com/us for a store pick up. I have literally scoured all Apple retail store looking for the 6+ 128GB in Grey, out of all the 250+ state-wide retail stores, only 1 unit was available in Miami :cool: I purchased it, then used TaskRabbit and fetched a reputable Tasker to pick it up and send it by Fedex. (Obviously you have to choose a Tasker with good reviews and then call apple to update the pick up contact person)

Latest ETA, Fedex is preparing shipment, hopefully I get it by this coming Sat :) Can't wait !!

Model I ordered is A1522 which should be compatible with virtually all LTE bands WW.

Long live the sharing economy!!

ybenali

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
Also live in Dubai.

I've also ordered a 6+ 128GB T-Mobile unit from store.apple.com/us for a store pick up. I have literally scoured all Apple retail store looking for the 6+ 128GB in Grey, out of all the 250+ state-wide retail stores, only 1 unit was available in Miami :cool: I purchased it, then used TaskRabbit and fetched a reputable Tasker to pick it up and send it by Fedex. (Obviously you have to choose a Tasker with good reviews and then call apple to update the pick up contact person)

Latest ETA, Fedex is preparing shipment, hopefully I get it by this coming Sat :) Can't wait !!

Model I ordered is A1522 which should be compatible with virtually all LTE bands WW.

:) i think my phone and yours are coming on the same plane. i got my 6 last monday and the 6 plus is on a fedex flight right know to CDG and then DXB for a delivery on sat 27th.

i shipped them to a relative and he forwarded then to me...don't know if i can trust a tasked thats bloody scary...i think i won't sleep for like 3 or 4 days he i do it ;)

here is a screenshot

if everything goes alright i think i will be able to pick it up tomorrow morning when the fedex flight lands at around 9am.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-25 at 3.22.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-25 at 3.22.33 PM.png
    900.5 KB · Views: 123

kalebnate

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014

How did are you forwarding your parcel to Dubai ? I tried using SnS and Apple cancelled my order.

ybenali

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
How did are you forwarding your parcel to Dubai ? I tried using SnS and Apple cancelled my order.

you can't use a ship forwarder anymore such as sns or myus...apple will cancel you order straight away.

he used a taskrabbit. which is basically u hire someone to do something for you and you pay him ...in his case he paid someone go pick it up from the store and go to fedex to ship it.

kalebnate

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
you can't use a ship forwarder anymore such as sns or myus...apple will cancel you order straight away.

he used a taskrabbit. which is basically u hire someone to do something for you and you pay him ...in his case he paid someone go pick it up from the store and go to fedex to ship it.

How much does this incur as extra cost ?

hbennis

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
I wasn't even aware that Apple now cancels SnS, if I choose the Apple Store pick, it was only not to have to wait for Apple to ship it in 2-3 weeks. I figured an alternative option can be quicker. You can pay for it for a store pick up, the either hire a local and reputable domestic courier company to pick it up and send it by Fedex or to your SnS account, or have Taskrabbit or a friend do this for you ;-)

Scarmanaga

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
2 questions somehow related to that:

hi

i live in dubai and i just received my 6 and 6plus. get a contract free T-mobile from apple .... it is unlocked even if they don't state it clearly in the website or if you ask them at the store itself. its working fine with me here with 3G and LTE. i also use 3 when i'm in the UK. i didn't try the 6 yet. but i got the same thing last year when the 5s came out and it worked like a charm in 3Uk and in UAE.

good luck finding one though they are all back ordered till middle of november. unless you have someone who will go to a store and try to get you one. the 6 is a bit easier to find than the 6+.

p.s: make sure you don't go an buy it from a t-mobile store. buy it from apple store and tell them you want a contract free t-mobile.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Why do you order in the US? Isn't it cheaper in Dubai?
Is it just to have it faster in your hands, or, you need Facetime working?

As I'll be travelling to Dubai end of year and have plans to buy a iPone 6 there, I'd appreciate your recommendations WHERE I can get it/and where should NOT buy it?

Would the UAE online store accept me as non citizen ordering and have it shipped to the Hotel I stay (RAK)?

upfront: thanks a lot for your Feedback guys

hbennis

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
---------------------------------------------------------------

Why do you order in the US? Isn't it cheaper in Dubai?

Is it just to have it faster in your hands, or, you need Facetime working?

As I'll be travelling to Dubai end of year and have plans to buy a iPone 6 there, I'd appreciate your recommendations WHERE I can get it/and where should NOT buy it?

Would the UAE online store accept me as non citizen ordering and have it shipped to the Hotel I stay (RAK)?

upfront: thanks a lot for your Feedback guys

Only reason for me to order from the US is FaceTime for me, plus I wasn't sure Apple UAE would have enough stock for the Plus.

If you are staying long enough in the hotel and is shipping times from the store are reasonable you should be able to get it. But I strongly suggest you just place an order with JadoPado.com, these guys are very pro and will keep it until you arrive and pick it up from their Emaar Square offfice. Only reason I didn't order from them is price which will eventually go down as time goes (Oct timeframe).

Scarmanaga

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
how does the iPhone 6 availability now look like in Dubai?

since I ll be there in 2 weeks I wonder if it's that easy to go to the Dubai Mall and buy it there right away, or if they are still, as almost everyhwere, short on stock.
Is iStyle selling it there at normal Price?
Facetime is not important to me, it's worth the savings I could make to buy it there rather here in Central Europe

on the other hand, just seen, mygsm.me sells it with FT, but guess they have no pemises in any mall over there, right?

thanks again for your help on that

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.