Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newone757

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
Come back when you're using a Airport Extreme before you make threads called "Don't bother with wireless AC". What a joke.

Your enthusiasm is great, it really is. And I own the AirPort Extreme too. But last time I checked it's definitely not at the top of the totem poll of AC routers....

I just love it for its ease of use

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Linksys routers are crap IMO, I have an Asus AC-68U and that thing is a beast! Granted I live in a two bedroom apartment, so I have no issues getting 802.11ac everywhere. The only exception is the parking lot where it switches to 2.4GHz. It's not just AC, 802.11n when used on 5GHz is the same thing, it's just the way RF works.

I wouldn't say it's wasted though, I pull 177/24 down on with a speed test, so AC is needed to get the full speed I pay for.

newone757

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
Linksys routers are crap IMO, I have an Asus AC-68U and that thing is a beast! Granted I live in a two bedroom apartment, so I have no issues getting 802.11ac everywhere. The only exception is the parking lot where it switches to 2.4GHz. It's not just AC, 802.11n when used on 5GHz is the same thing, it's just the way RF works.

I wouldn't say it's wasted though, I pull 177/24 down on with a speed test, so AC is needed to get the full speed I pay for.

Yeah Asus makes a decent router from what I've heard.

And yeah that's what I was getting at with my first post. Don't really thing the OPs problems is a direct result of AC itself. It's the 5ghz frequency and how it's inefficient in his particular setup. 5ghz band does not = ac

SK360

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
Beaver, PA
Come back when you're using a Airport Extreme before you make threads called "Don't bother with wireless AC". What a joke.

I considered replacing my Linksys E4200 with an AirPort Extreme..... Until I read the review on smallnetbuilder. It's close to the bottom of AC routers and especially so at that price point. Glad I went the way of Asus as this router is awesome.

Patrick G

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
It what you describe is typical performance of a WRT1900AC, then no, my post is the opposite of a joke.

I simply described the range of the 5GHz band being shorter than the range of the 2.4GHz band. That's typical performance of each and every dual band router on the planet.

Padmini

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2014
I simply described the range of the 5GHz band being shorter than the range of the 2.4GHz band. That's typical performance of each and every dual band router on the planet.

Yep, including my Airport Extreme.

You also described in more detail your actual user experience, which is nothing like mine with my Airport Extreme.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Linksys WRT1900AC

Setting up only the 5GHz band on the phone is an option, but not sure if I'm ready to do that yet. I like having the other band as an automatic backup/failover.

Grandiose subject title, contradictory comments.

/End thread.

jlinear

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2012
So, as soon as I preordered my 6 Plus, I upgraded my wireless router to a new flagship 802.11ac model. Problem is, there's no way to prioritize wireless networks on the iPhone. And since the 5GHz AC signal range is shorter than the 2.4GHz N range, my iPhone always eventually moves from the AC network to the N network because the N signal is stronger. I was really hoping to take advantage of the AC speeds, but unless you're in the same room with the router (rarely for me), iPhone prefers the 2.4GHz band.

If you have separate networks set up try telling the iPhone to "forget" the N network. I assume it won't automatically connect to it without a password. Worth a try.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
I have a asus Ac router. On my 2.4 network I top out at 15mbps on my speed test. The Ac band gets almost my full 60 Mbps with a amazing 3ms ping.

I also did my first sync over wifi and it moved 40 gb of music to my phone in about 30-40 minutes. This would have taken years over the 2.4.

Ac is well worth it. Separate the networks and you will be fine.

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2014
I got the fastest speed test I've ever seen at home with the new Apple Airport Extreme with AC and an iPhone 6. 111 down. I pay for 100.

Don't bother with the OP's subject line.

Patrick G

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
Would a mod please remove the word Don't from the thread title. Thank you.

l3it3r

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Hagerstown, MD
my AC66R allows for separate SSID for each band. 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. The 5 gets better speeds, but isn't as solid of a connection around the entire house as the 2.4 seems to be.

That said, when I'm using the 5GHz network on my MBA or my iPhone 6 plus, it's obviously able to handle much more data. :D

ahfu25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
Just a heads up to tmobile users. They are giving away for free an asus ac router. Call soon as they are currently waving the 25 deposit fee.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
I can't believe that they are giving out that router. I paid $230 for mine. It is a unbelievable router, and anyone with T-Mobile should jump on it.

Even the 80211.n performance is exceptional.

JoeTomasone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2014
I considered replacing my Linksys E4200 with an AirPort Extreme..... Until I read the review on smallnetbuilder. It's close to the bottom of AC routers and especially so at that price point. Glad I went the way of Asus as this router is awesome.

That appeared to be in terms of Ethernet performance, not WiFi peformance. Quite frankly, that is more important to me.

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
Wireless-AC is tricky because the distance is very limited to get AC throughput. When I built out my home network I used Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-ACs. They were touch and go a year ago, but now super stable. I also have one on each floor (3) of the town home mounted in a staggered pattern and set to the lowest power rating on 2G and 5G. This helps devices roam between APs and lets static devices like AppleTVs get on the nearest and fastest AP. So far, the iPhone 6 Pluses in our house do just fine. Actually better at connecting than the 13" Retina MacBook Pro original did. My iOS 8 problems on Retina iPad Minis were solved by resetting network settings and turning off WiFi under Settings > Privacy > Location Service > System Services. FWIW, I'm on 8.0.2 on all devices.

SonRK

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2011
I switched to Verizon Fios recently and the modem is a built in router and the range is absolute BALLs on it.

Can't even get signal in my basement when my old linksys router worked well.

Looks like I am in the market for a new router, and this topic talked about the Airport.

Are they actually good , or is it better to just get those $50ish routers?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.