Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alldat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
When I go to change my desktop background, it only changes the background of the desktop that system preferences is in. Is there any way to change all of the desktop backgrounds at once?

Thanks.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
When I go to change my desktop background, it only changes the background of the desktop that system preferences is in. Is there any way to change all of the desktop backgrounds at once?

Thanks.

Nope...not yet at least. Easiest way I found was:

- Open System Prefs in Space 1.
- Change background for that space.
- Click and hold the top of the System Prefs window.
- While holding it with the mouse, press Control + 2 to switch to next space. - This will bring the System Prefs window with you.
- Rinse and repeat.

-Kevin

Reactions: Carolina Y.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
You could simply get rid of all of your desktops/spaces down to one and change it there then add the desktops back.

RobT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2007
Ohio, USA
You could simply get rid of all of your desktops/spaces down to one and change it there then add the desktops back.

I just changed my background today and this is the method I used as well. Change one desktop...delete the others...then add new desktops in Mission Control. The new desktops will have the updated background. It's quicker than it sounds...

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH

I just changed my background today and this is the method I used as well. Change one desktop...delete the others...then add new desktops in Mission Control. The new desktops will have the updated background. It's quicker than it sounds...

Problem with this method is you lose all your app desktop assignments.

-Kevin

Reactions: jagooch

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
It takes two clicks to add them back, how hard is that?

You are kidding right?

I have 8 desktops. I have assigned the following apps to use certain desktops:

Chrome
Safari
Firefox
BBEdit
FTP
iTunes
Mail
Outlook
Photoshop
Reeder
Word
Excel

I really would rather not have to go through each one....put it in the right space, assign it to the space.....just to change a freakin desktop picture.

No thanks.

I'll do my method and leave app assignments alone.

-Kevin

Reactions: jagooch and Matooba

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
You are kidding right?

I have 8 desktops. I have assigned the following apps to use certain desktops:

Chrome
Safari
Firefox
BBEdit
FTP
iTunes
Mail
Outlook
Photoshop
Reeder
Word
Excel

I really would rather not have to go through each one....put it in the right space, assign it to the space.....just to change a freakin desktop picture.

No thanks.

I'll do my method and leave app assignments alone.

-Kevin

Ok.

Attachments

• whambulance.jpg
    whambulance.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 12,616

zenzizi

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2011
Problem with this method is you lose all your app desktop assignments.

-Kevin

THIS - A hundred times THIS.

I read the "remove spaces" trick on another forum.
It was WAAAY more annoying to have to re-assign all my applications
Than it would have been to switch background 6 times ....

Reactions: jagooch

D200

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2010
What about selecting 'change picture' and then 'random order' in preferences?

I have it this way and it changes your pictures on all desktops. I even added my own pictures...

Mike

Nope...not yet at least. Easiest way I found was:

- Open System Prefs in Space 1.
- Change background for that space.
- Click and hold the top of the System Prefs window.
- While holding it with the mouse, press Control + 2 to switch to next space. - This will bring the System Prefs window with you.
- Rinse and repeat.

-Kevin

WesWooHoo

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2015
Our solution

OK, this is what we did for multiple users, it could work for this situation though if you always want the same desktop background for all.

Similar to D200's comment; We created a dedicated folder for Desktop Backgrounds and then put our default background in there.
Then we set everyone's Desktop Background to cycle through that folder. Any time we want to change the default Background, we just change it in the folder and 5 minutes later everyone has it.
You would have to do it once and then you could just change your pic in the folder any time you want.

And I have to agree, if I had to delete a bunch of spaces and reset all my app assignments just to get a unified background, that would be a terrible "solution". What if you change your mind tomorrow and have to do it again?
Why can't they just have an "apply to all spaces"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.