Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roxics

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2013
So I originally ordered two space gray 6+ phones through AT&T because the apple website wasn't working. Then I cancelled those and preorded through the Apple website once I could and realized it offered faster shipping.
Then last weekend my girlfriend and I walked into the Apple store and to our shocked we both realized we liked the gold 6 better than the space gray 6+.

The lady at the apple store told us we could cancel our preorders while waiting in line and by the time we got up there, we would be free and clear to buy the two phones she just reserved for us. She said people had been doing it all day. So we waited the hour in line and got up there and... nope.

I called AT&T and they said it would be 72 hours before our Next eligibility was available again. Why? If I can cancel my preorder immediately why can't my eligibility be available again immediately? Because their system was backed up she said.

So there we were with two gold 6 phones waiting for us, staring right at us and we couldn't get them. We had to walk out of the store empty handed and wait 72 hours on AT&T to get their system updated.

72 hours later I called AT&T again beause my account was still saying ineligible. They said, that because I cancelled two preorders in 12 months, a case needed to be made and sent to a special department and that it could take another 24-72 hours but they would put a 24 hour rush on it.

Nearly 24 hour later I got a call from that special department and the lady was aleady working on it but said it could take an additional 24-32 hours. I then got a text this morning saying everything was all set. Finally! After 5 days.

I go to the Apple store online to check availability and they are all out of the iPhone 6 in gold or other colors at both my local Apple stores.

[Shakes fist into the air at AT&T for taking so long]

I realize it's partly my fault for preordering and then canceling and then preordering and canceling again. But who wouldn't try to cut a month off their shipping time if they could? Also nothing was ever physically in my hands or packed up and ready to ship out to me. It should not have taken 5 days to clear our eligibility after the last preorder cancelation. That just seems a bit ridiculous, and now I'm going to have to wait even longer because they're out of stock in stores.

I've never preordered an iPhone before and this preorder business has just been a huge mess for me for the last two weeks. I'm never doing it again. I'll take my chances in the stores where I can get the phone in my hand and know if I like it and walk out with it that day without any headaches.

kwando

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2012
What number did you call for the special dept? I am going through that right now.

Quahog

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2010
So I originally ordered two space gray 6+ phones through AT&T because the apple website wasn't working. Then I cancelled those and preorded through the Apple website once I could and realized it offered faster shipping.
Then last weekend my girlfriend and I walked into the Apple store and to our shocked we both realized we liked the gold 6 better than the space gray 6+.

The lady at the apple store told us we could cancel our preorders while waiting in line and by the time we got up there, we would be free and clear to buy the two phones she just reserved for us. She said people had been doing it all day. So we waited the hour in line and got up there and... nope.

I called AT&T and they said it would be 72 hours before our Next eligibility was available again. Why? If I can cancel my preorder immediately why can't my eligibility be available again immediately? Because their system was backed up she said.

So there we were with two gold 6 phones waiting for us, staring right at us and we couldn't get them. We had to walk out of the store empty handed and wait 72 hours on AT&T to get their system updated.

72 hours later I called AT&T again beause my account was still saying ineligible. They said, that because I cancelled two preorders in 12 months, a case needed to be made and sent to a special department and that it could take another 24-72 hours but they would put a 24 hour rush on it.

Nearly 24 hour later I got a call from that special department and the lady was aleady working on it but said it could take an additional 24-32 hours. I then got a text this morning saying everything was all set. Finally! After 5 days.

I go to the Apple store online to check availability and they are all out of the iPhone 6 in gold or other colors at both my local Apple stores.

I realize it's partly my fault for preordering and then canceling and then preordering and canceling again. But who wouldn't try to cut a month off their shipping time if they could? Also nothing was ever physically in my hands or packed up and ready to ship out to me. It should not have taken 5 days to clear our eligibility after the last preorder cancelation. That just seems a bit ridiculous, and now I'm going to have to wait even longer because they're out of stock in stores.

I've never preordered an iPhone before and this preorder business has just been a huge mess for me for the last two weeks. I'm never doing it again. I'll take my chances in the stores where I can get the phone in my hand and know if I like it and walk out with it that day without any headaches.

Partly your fault? I would say totally your fault... it's the biggest product launch since the dinosaurs, its not as simple as putting a widget in a box (it involves contracts and complications) and you cancel the preorder TWICE?

Of course it's not fraud, but they have to have a system in place to prevent fraud and not allow automatic status changes like this, requiring manual intervention.

Hopefully you get your phone quickly, and bend-gate doesn't delay manufacturing... but it's hard to blame AT&T in this situation. If you left your original order alone, you very well could have had your phone by now...

DeftwillP

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2011
Partly your fault? I would say totally your fault... it's the biggest product launch since the dinosaurs, its not as simple as putting a widget in a box (it involves contracts and complications) and you cancel the preorder TWICE?

Of course it's not fraud, but they have to have a system in place to prevent fraud and not allow automatic status changes like this, requiring manual intervention.

Hopefully you get your phone quickly, and bend-gate doesn't delay manufacturing... but it's hard to blame AT&T in this situation. If you left your original order alone, you very well could have had your phone by now...

Este. Take some responsibility for your actions OP.

julesgold

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2014
Not AT&Ts fault. They have to do this to prevent people from committing fraud. Obviously not saying you committed fraud.. But this is still your fault.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Interesting. I'm not sure if this makes any difference because I pre-ordered mine through Apple.com and not through AT&T. On launch day, I stood in line at 1:40 PM, reserved the 6, about an hour later, they had some 6 Plus available so I changed my reservation and I immediately canceled my pre-order online. 2 Minute later I got my AT&T eligibility back. And I walked out with the iPHone 6 Plus Gold on launch day.

Did you pre-order through AT&T? I wonder if that made any difference. I was also told by the Apple rep that usually canceling online order indeed gets the eligibility back right away. Plus there was AT&T rep on that day at the apple store in case if something happens.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
Att flat out lied to op and it's somehow ops fault.

Wow, never change macrumors, keep on that corporate shaft.

syclick

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
Had the same thing happen to me. Camped out overnight for launch day. Got to the front of the line, had the iPhone 6 Plus in hand, and was unable to upgrade because I'd cancelled my previous 6 Plus preorder.

The stickler? After calling AT&T and Apple numerous times, my upgrade eligibility still hasn't reset. It's been six days.

Seriously, I'm just about ready to drop AT&T and go with T-Mobile.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
After 5 days.

I completely agree that it shouldn't take AT&T 5 days to restore your upgrade.

I realize it's partly my fault for preordering and then canceling and then preordering and canceling again.

I would say it is mostly your fault. Next time, figure out what you really want before you place the order. And don't be afraid to wait a while to get your product. It won't kill you to wait to get your iPhone.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
You cancelled two phones twice in the middle of an iPhone launch. :eek:

It raises all sorts of flags regarding security and fraud prevention. It's a good thing that everything was delayed at that point. It's an extra layer of protection for all of us. You can't blame AT&T for this mess.

rjflyn

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2007
Curious to know if the OP already has other lines besides the ones he was trying to buy phones for. As because somewhere in the fine print one can have up to 4 ATT Next plans. Did he/you have that. He could have used the fact that he could add additional lines and then cut the first ones, esp if the were out of contract, no mention so just a idea.

roxics

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2013
I don't see how it's even remotely close to fraud. It's all just numbers in a system. They are preorders. They probably weren't even in the country yet as my first preorder through AT&T was set for an end of October delivery date and my second preorder through the apple store was set for a mid October delivery date.

Why should canceling preorders raise a flag?

----------

Curious to know if the OP already has other lines besides the ones he was trying to buy phones for. As because somewhere in the fine print one can have up to 4 ATT Next plans. Did he/you have that. He could have used the fact that he could add additional lines and then cut the first ones, esp if the were out of contract, no mention so just a idea.

I only have two numbers, both of which I was trying to upgrade to new iphones, didn't realize I could add new ones and cancel the old. But I shoudn't have to go through that.

I mean this is human nature and I was told at the Apple store and through AT&T customer service that I'm not alone. A lot of people were canceling preorders so they could buy in the store instead.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
No one's perfect, no companies perfect. No one's experienced bodily harm, and I'm not downplaying the inconvenience. But one look at the news reminds us people are dying in the current war. That makes problems like this very small.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Not only is this a big product launch, but you are talking about the inter-operability of IT systems between two different corporations just at the time when they are getting hammered. I wouldn't go as far as claiming that this was your fault, but you really ought to expect something like this to happen....

syclick

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
It should definitely not be taking this long. It's almost been a week in my case.

roxics

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2013
No one's perfect, no companies perfect. No one's experienced bodily harm, and I'm not downplaying the inconvenience. But one look at the news reminds us people are dying in the current war. That makes problems like this very small.

You're absolutely right. This is a first world problem. Ultimately it's been very annoying to me but it's not life and death. To even have this problem means my life is going well. :)

----------

Not only is this a big product launch, but you are talking about the inter-operability of IT systems between two different corporations just at the time when they are getting hammered. I wouldn't go as far as claiming that this was your fault, but you really ought to expect something like this to happen....

This was purely on AT&Ts end. My biggest problem I think is that they've been dealing with iPhone launches since 2007 and every year it's a big thing. You'd think they would have the bugs worked out by now. Especially for something as simple as canceling preorders (even a couple times).

----------

It should definitely not be taking this long. It's almost been a week in my case.

I would call them again. I've noticed that unless you call them, they probably aren't doing anything unless you've got a case number.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
My favorite part is how this story started. The OP had to go the to AT&T because the Apple store was down. On launch day. Of it's flagship product.

But let's blow through that detail and multiple cancelled orders and find a way to make this all AT&T's fault.

syclick

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
I would call them again. I've noticed that unless you call them, they probably aren't doing anything unless you've got a case number.

I do have a case number, but only after contacting them for the umpteenth time. Since launch day, all I've gotten is "Oh, it can take up to x days for it to go through." Yesterday's phone call was the first time I've gotten them to take this seriously.

And yes, this is definitely a first-world problem. I was pretty miffed on the 19th, but my aunt's passing on the 20th quickly put things into perspective. :confused:

However, I don't think we're out of line for expecting better performance from a company on the level of AT&T. And considering the cost of cell phone coverage relative to other places in the world, I give them enough of my money for me to expect a certain level of performance.

roxics

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2013
My favorite part is how this story started. The OP had to go the to AT&T because the Apple store was down. On launch day. Of it's flagship product.

But let's blow through that detail and multiple cancelled orders and find a way to make this all AT&T's fault.

You're right. I mean the apple store should have been working from the start. They are a big enough company with enough money behind them and their own server farms that they should be able to handle that much traffic.

Also I'm not trying to be a jerk about it. I've been nice to every Apple and AT&T rep I've talked to because I know this is a busy time and I know I preordered and canceled twice. I get that.

The title of this thread along with my
is meant to be taken in cinematic slow motion and with a level of jest to it. Because although it's been annoying for me and I still don't believe it should have taken this long, it is what it is.

----------

I do have a case number, but only after contacting them for the umpteenth time. Since launch day, all I've gotten is "Oh, it can take up to x days for it to go through." Yesterday's phone call was the first time I've gotten them to take this seriously.

And yes, this is definitely a first-world problem. I was pretty miffed on the 19th, but my aunt's passing on the 20th quickly put things into perspective. :confused:

However, I don't think we're out of line for expecting better performance from a company on the level of AT&T. And considering the cost of cell phone coverage relative to other places in the world, I give them enough of my money for me to expect a certain level of performance.

Agreed. I've been with AT&T now for over six years and always paid my bill on time. When I call them I give them all my information that identifies who I am to them. There should be no flagging or waiting period. I should not be considered a suspect just because I changed my mind a couple times.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
I don't have anything to add to the OP's story here, but I'm always happy to post in a thread entitled Damn you AT&T!

#attfail

I WANT MY PHONE

syclick

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
It's now been a week, and my eligibility has not reverted back. This is beyond ridiculous.

Wife and I were talking last night about switching to T-Mobile. I'm currently grandfathered into an unlimited data plan, but with the throttling and all, I'm not sure it means all that much to me anymore.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
I love the AT&T commercial I saw last nigt with the cute AT&T chick.

A woman strolls into a swarming (busy) store, walks up to chick and mentions something about the new iPhone.

The chick beams, "We have the new iPhone 6!"

Yea right you do.

opusknecht

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Well, this kind of freaked me out because I cancelled a preorder with AT&T from the 12th, and had an active order with Apple.com from the 21st. I was preparing to go stand in line tomorrow morning but started worrying.

Called the order processing dept, they said my account could get flagged but they didn't know for sure.

Took the plunge and cancelled my Apple.com order just now, got my eligibility back within seconds. Sorry to the OP. =\

So now I'm going to go stand in line tomorrow and see what happens. At this point I'm torn between fed up and not caring and wanting my damn phone. Ordered with ATT Premier at midnight on the 12th, got a late October date. /sigh

On the other hand, the iPhone 6 Plus BookBook isn't even out yet and that's what I want. You know, because I'd like to literally make the phone the size of a paperback.

In reality, I've had my iPhone 5 BookBook for two years and don't want to go back to a wallet. So yeah...

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
You're right. I mean the apple store should have been working from the start. They are a big enough company with enough money behind them and their own server farms that they should be able to handle that much traffic.

Also I'm not trying to be a jerk about it. I've been nice to every Apple and AT&T rep I've talked to because I know this is a busy time and I know I preordered and canceled twice. I get that.

The title of this thread along with my
is meant to be taken in cinematic slow motion and with a level of jest to it. Because although it's been annoying for me and I still don't believe it should have taken this long, it is what it is.

----------

Agreed. I've been with AT&T now for over six years and always paid my bill on time. When I call them I give them all my information that identifies who I am to them. There should be no flagging or waiting period. I should not be considered a suspect just because I changed my mind a couple times.

Sorry but you shot yourself in the foot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.