Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
You're talking about not even storing the phone in your pocket and wearing different clothes just for a phone, that's absolute hilarious.

It's not like people reporting bends are sitting with it in their back pocket or wearing pants that cut off blood circulation, the op had dress pants on.

Do you expect people to take the phone out of their pocket all the time? When they sit, when they run, when they go to the store, when they use the bathroom, etc.? I habitually take my phone out when I'm driving sometimes but other times I don't, my phone shouldn't permanently bend from being in my front pocket.
I do agree with you on multiple points, such as the OP having a reasonable expectation of his phone not bending if he was wearing something as large and loose as dress pants, and that the phone should not be bending permanently from sitting in a front pocket, where over 95% of guys keep their phones.

However, it is also not unreasonable for smartphone manufacturers (or consumers for that case) to believe that you will alter some of your daily habits to accommodate a phablet. I realize that at its core, the iPhone 6 Plus is still a phone, something that most people carry around with them all day long in this day and age. But we are talking about a different class of phone. If you were used to driving a midsize sedan like a Mercedes-Benz E350, but then upgraded to a Mercedes-Benz 600 or Maybach 62, you would know beforehand that some things will change: you will need a new garage, you will not be able to find parking in London, you will make wider turns at intersections, et cetera.

Yes, my jeans are now too tight to sit and lean over in if I'm carrying my 6 Plus, so I put the phone in my jacket. And yes, I put it on the table if I am sitting down. Having a 6 Plus as opposed to a regular sized smartphone is no different from owning two different things: there are always tradeoffs. Nissan Leaf, economical, Ferrari LaFerrari, fast. Bifold wallet, fits in any pants, long wallet, more credit cards and room for a checkbook.

The ultimate question consumers need to ask themselves is what device best suits their lifestyle and if they are willing to make certain changes and compromises.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
I do agree with you on multiple points, such as the OP having a reasonable expectation of his phone not bending if he was wearing something as large and loose as dress pants, and that the phone should not be bending permanently from sitting in a front pocket, where over 95% of guys keep their phones.

However, it is also not unreasonable for smartphone manufacturers (or consumers for that case) to believe that you will alter some of your daily habits to accommodate a phablet. I realize that at its core, the iPhone 6 Plus is still a phone, something that most people carry around with them all day long in this day and age. But we are talking about a different class of phone. If you were used to driving a midsize sedan like a Mercedes-Benz E350, but then upgraded to a Mercedes-Benz 600 or Maybach 62, you would know beforehand that some things will change: you will need a new garage, you will not be able to find parking in London, you will make wider turns at intersections, et cetera.

Yes, my jeans are now too tight to sit and lean over in if I'm carrying my 6 Plus, so I put the phone in my jacket. And yes, I put it on the table if I am sitting down. Having a 6 Plus as opposed to a regular sized smartphone is no different from owning two different things: there are always tradeoffs. Nissan Leaf, economical, Ferrari LaFerrari, fast. Bifold wallet, fits in any pants, long wallet, more credit cards and room for a checkbook.

The ultimate question consumers need to ask themselves is what device best suits their lifestyle and if they are willing to make certain changes and compromises.

I can see having to wear bigger pants if the phone literally doesn't fit, so that is changing your clothes for a device I guess if that's the case and you end up buying the phone, but I don't think it should bend just from being in your pants, assuming you can fit it in there obviously.

cperchard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
"My Glock 21 is extremely durable, but my Les Baer 1911, which cost 5 times as much, is far more durable."

wow really?

----------

You're talking about not even storing the phone in your pocket and wearing different clothes just for a phone, that's absolute hilarious.

It's not like people reporting bends are sitting with it in their back pocket or wearing pants that cut off blood circulation, the op had dress pants on.

Do you expect people to take the phone out of their pocket all the time? When they sit, when they run, when they go to the store, when they use the bathroom, etc.? I habitually take my phone out when I'm driving sometimes but other times I don't, my phone shouldn't permanently bend from being in my front pocket.

Are you actually insane?? No one forced anyone to buy the 5.5 inch version.....if you did then you knew the benefits and you knew the drawbacks......if you didn't then you're stupid......I went with the plus because most of my pockets are deep and loose anyway and I have no problem driving with it in there......if people are moaning that they CHOSE an enormous phone but it won't fit in their skinny jeans pocket, then that is hilarious and delusional.

Again, no one forced anyone to buy the bigger version......it's like buying the 27" Mac and then complaining that their desk is only big enough for the 21" version.....people are just stupid.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
All these bent iPhones werre bent becaus people put them in bad situations. Until I see someone take a phone out of a pocket brand new bent. I won't believe it.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
Are you actually insane?? No one forced anyone to buy the 5.5 inch version.....if you did then you knew the benefits and you knew the drawbacks......if you didn't then you're stupid......I went with the plus because most of my pockets are deep and loose anyway and I have no problem driving with it in there......if people are moaning that they CHOSE an enormous phone but it won't fit in their skinny jeans pocket, then that is hilarious and delusional.

Again, no one forced anyone to buy the bigger version......it's like buying the 27" Mac and then complaining that their desk is only big enough for the 21" version.....people are just stupid.

Guess what GENIUS nobody thought the phone would bend from being in a FRONT POCKET when they preordered. I didn't preorder the phone and it was for reasons like this, no one knows what issues devices may have so I don't preorder unless I'm absolutely sure it's worth the risk. This time I'm very glad I didn't.

Of course it might not fit in a really, really tiny girls pocket or something but that's not the point, the point is it does fit in nearly everyones pockets but when it goes in and fits, it BENDS, that's the real issue.

trouble747

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
To an extent, yes I do, and I think it is absolutely ridiculous that my Nokia phone from 10 years ago is more durable than a phone today. My iPod from 10 years ago is also more durable than many phones today. Despite having more movable parts.

I mean, I guess they could use a plastic screen. Or make it smaller. Or use a more expensive material. But there are trade-offs to all of these things.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
That is highly subjective. I get what you're saying in regards to it being an artistic or jewelry item... and if that's what it was marketed as that's fine. I think it's as idiotic as most functionless jewelry, but nevertheless that is accurate.

However, I take issue with the implied correlation between expense and care. My Rolex is expensive, and yet I regularly take it scuba diving, rock climbing, etc, and aside from the expected scuffs it has been working flawlessly for the last 9 years. The crystal is actual optical sapphire, and it is still as clear as the day I got it, despite having taken rocks to the face.

Furthermore, other items also break your implied trend. My Glock 21 is extremely durable, but my Les Baer 1911, which cost 5 times as much, is far more durable. My Falcon Northwest is more durable than my Asus. My x5 is more durable than my mustang. My expensive furniture is more durable than the flimsy stuff I bought at Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

Need I continue?

My point is this; you get what you buy, not what you pay for. If you want to purchase durability, then you can spend money on durability. If you want to purchase semi-functional eye candy, then you can spend money on some amazingly pretty eye candy. That's the beauty of a free market, that's the beauty of capitalism. You can choose, and so can I.

I am not going to choose to purchase a product which, according to my personal standards, is inferior. At the moment I'm not even purchasing anything at all, I'm sticking with my 4s.

Well said.

I think it's pretty obvious at this point quality of construction and materials at this point is 4>5>6. This trend might be related to a bean counter currently running the place, as opposed to the enthusiast previously. I'm sticking with the 5s myself for now too. I see no reason to take what I see as a step down in quality.

cperchard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Guess what GENIUS nobody thought the phone would bend from being in a FRONT POCKET when they preordered. I didn't preorder the phone and it was for reasons like this, no one knows what issues devices may have so I don't preorder unless I'm absolutely sure it's worth the risk. This time I'm very glad I didn't.

Of course it might not fit in a really, really tiny girls pocket or something but that's not the point, the point is it does fit in nearly everyones pockets but when it goes in and fits, it BENDS, that's the real issue.

You need to be putting real pressure for it to bend.....like every other iphone before it......they can all bend, other brands too.......and the bigger one is going to be more prone to it cos it's simply bigger.....I don't think it takes a genius to work out if you chose the bigger phone it's not going to be very practical.....so you would have to make sacrifices......it's not just going to bend on its own, anyone who is claiming that is talking absolute crap. They would be putting serious pressure on it in the pocket, which is silly, it's so much money that if they can't handle it properly they should simply switch to the 6 or the 5S

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
You need to be putting real pressure for it to bend.....like every other iphone before it......they can all bend, other brands too.......and the bigger one is going to be more prone to it cos it's simply bigger.....I don't think it takes a genius to work out if you chose the bigger phone it's not going to be very practical.....so you would have to make sacrifices......it's not just going to bend on its own, anyone who is claiming that is talking absolute crap. They would be putting serious pressure on it in the pocket, which is silly, it's so much money that if they can't handle it properly they should simply switch to the 6 or the 5S

Other phones of the same size or even more (note 3) don't do this. They don't bend in pockets, and in the note 3s case don't bend and stay bent or break even from alot of force on it from your fingers like that which the 6+ experienced on unbox therapies video.

Loads of people have claimed bending from being in the pocket, even unbox therapy who had the phone a few days took it out and it was bent just from his front pocket.

trouble747

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
My concern isn't about intentional breakage, but more about the flex the phone exhibits when subjected to lateral stress. As I have mentioned, I lead an active, outdoor lifestyle and falling down, landing in the rocks/mud/dirt/etc on my face is something which happens somewhat regularly. Getting smacked in the thighs by something while climbing, nudging a heavy piece of equipment into a truck, etc.

I only mentioned intentional breakage because that's mostly what we have to go off of with this controversy. With everything you've described, I personally would have my phone in a pretty solid case, especially if I was literally falling down or having heavy equipment run into me (even still, I would expect the glass to break before anything else). Similarly, I wouldn't wear my expensive glasses or sunglasses or my nice watch if there was a threat of them being damaged. I wouldn't wear my nice suit if I thought falling in the mud was a possibility.

I think it's totally possible that the iPhone is not suitable for all lifestyles, all the time. That said, I don't baby my phone. I figure I'll have it for 2 years and get a new one. I don't use cases and my 5 looks a little beat up (though the screen is fine).

cperchard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Other phones of the same size or even more (note 3) don't do this. They don't bend in pockets, and in the note 3s case don't bend and stay bent or break even from alot of force on it from your fingers like that which the 6+ experienced on unbox therapies video.

Loads of people have claimed bending from being in the pocket, even unbox therapy who had the phone a few days took it out and it was bent just from his front pocket.

But then again loads of people were moaning about antenna gate, and scuff gate.....and guess what, they still sold more than any other phone out there, cos they are generally the best......you aren't gonna get millions of people coming on forums or blogs praising their phone.....most people only come on to report problems.....there is no way this is going to be a majority thing, unless mistreated.

Hydrocoded

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
I only mentioned intentional breakage because that's mostly what we have to go off of with this controversy. With everything you've described, I personally would have my phone in a pretty solid case, especially if I was literally falling down or having heavy equipment run into me (even still, I would expect the glass to break before anything else). Similarly, I wouldn't wear my expensive glasses or sunglasses or my nice watch if there was a threat of them being damaged. I wouldn't wear my nice suit if I thought falling in the mud was a possibility.

I think it's totally possible that the iPhone is not suitable for all lifestyles, all the time. That said, I don't baby my phone. I figure I'll have it for 2 years and get a new one. I don't use cases and my 5 looks a little beat up (though the screen is fine).

My 4s is in an otterbox, like I said. If they made a better case I'd use it, but they don't.

I also wear my Oakley sunglasses frequently, although I go through about one pair every 1.5-2 years. They are great sunglasses, but nothing is perfect.

My 4s has never had an issue, nor the 3 I had before it, etc. I have never cracked a screen or broken a phone from apple. The otterbox probably had a lot to do with that.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
But then again loads of people were moaning about antenna gate, and scuff gate.....and guess what, they still sold more than any other phone out there, cos they are generally the best......you aren't gonna get millions of people coming on forums or blogs praising their phone.....most people only come on to report problems.....there is no way this is going to be a majority thing, unless mistreated.

Antenna gate was a real issue too, I'm not talking about how well the phones selling that has nothing to do with the issues it does or does not have. Apple has a cult following of people who will buy the phone no matter what, and alot of people don't research things.

None of this disproves that there is a clear problem here. Just going "muh sales" isn't going to disprove the bending.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
All these bent iPhones werre bent becaus people put them in bad situations. Until I see someone take a phone out of a pocket brand new bent. I won't believe it.

"All these bent iPhones...."

There were only 9 bent iPhones.

That's "nine". 9. Repeat after me people, "NINE".

BJ

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Dude you missed the point.

The whole point of that piece was to make fun of people like you and others who think a phone should withstand the pressure that the guy from Unboxing Therapy applied to his phone.

as the guy from CNN demonstrated its not gonna bend under normal usage.

That was his point, to make fun of me? You have no idea what I think. Back to the basement boy.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY

Note 3 has a plastic frame. I'm not sure if you know this? Plastic is a material that can bend but will snap in place. Metal, in this case aluminum will bend and not snap back in place. Get it? Or do you need more explaining.

cperchard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Antenna gate was a real issue too, I'm not talking about how well the phones selling that has nothing to do with the issues it does or does not have. Apple has a cult following of people who will buy the phone no matter what, and alot of people don't research things.

None of this disproves that there is a clear problem here. Just going "muh sales" isn't going to disprove the bending.

This is going to be my last comment to you on this issue....cos it seems no matter where I look on this forum, I see you moaning about it....antenna gate wasn't a problem......it was ridiculous......people went so overboard about it, it was crazy......again, EVERY phone had the same problem as proved by Steve at the time.....I can't believe he even gave away free cases, it was like he was taking one for the team cos of psycho forum muppets ganging up complaining about a non issue. The iPhone 4 was still selling in January this year......does that sound like a phone with a design fault??

This one doesn't have a fault either......it's just pathetic Internet trolling that a very very few minority of people have suffered, in which most of them will have suffered due to misuse......it's as simple as that......and if you haven't bought one yet, then simply don't buy one if you're that worried......I have bought one, I'm treating it like the respect it deserves for being such an expensive device......if you can't handle such a big phone in your lifestyle, don't buy it, simple as that......I guarantee they will still sell more phones than anyone else this year, and I know it's not about sales, it's about customer satisfaction......and as i said, a few moaning idiots on here doesn't show the majority vote here......people who have no issues will not bother coming here, they will simply be enjoying their device and getting on with their lives.....something I wish all the moaners would do instead of just crying about issues that don't exist if you treat things properly.

Rant over, goodnight!

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
Note 3 has a plastic frame. I'm not sure if you know this? Plastic is a material that can bend but will snap in place. Metal, in this case aluminum will bend and not snap back in place. Get it? Or do you need more explaining.

Okay then go watch unbox therapy try the same thing with the htc m8. Metal phone. No bend smart***.

----------

This is going to be my last comment to you on this issue....cos it seems no matter where I look on this forum, I see you moaning about it....antenna gate wasn't a problem......it was ridiculous......people went so overboard about it, it was crazy......again, EVERY phone had the same problem as proved by Steve at the time.....I can't believe he even gave away free cases, it was like he was taking one for the team cos of psycho forum muppets ganging up complaining about a non issue. The iPhone 4 was still selling in January this year......does that sound like a phone with a design fault??

This one doesn't have a fault either......it's just pathetic Internet trolling that a very very few minority of people have suffered, in which most of them will have suffered due to misuse......it's as simple as that......and if you haven't bought one yet, then simply don't buy one if you're that worried......I have bought one, I'm treating it like the respect it deserved for being such an expensive device......if you can't handle such a big phone in your lifestyle, don't buy it, simple as that......I guarantee they will still sell more phones than anyone else this year, and I know it's not about sales, it's about customer satisfaction......and as i said, a few moaning idiots on here doesn't show the majority vote here......people who have no issues will not bother coming here, they will simply be enjoying their device and getting on with their lives.....something I wish all the moaners would do instead of just crying about issues that don't exist if you treat things properly.

Rant over, goodnight!

Antenna gate was a real problem, oh wait, never mind I guess we were all holding it wrong right?

Also it's not about sales unless you are an apple employee or stock owner, doesn't really make the consumers experience better.

Why are you using so many periods? It's hard to read what you're saying.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
"All these bent iPhones...."

There were only 9 bent iPhones.

That's "nine". 9. Repeat after me people, "NINE".

BJ

Yep, just like antennagate. Nobody had issues with that, either, right? Of course Apple aren't going to admit to a major issue until they're absolutely forced to!

Not to say there IS a major issue, but let's not go with what Apple tells us, right? :)

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Okay then go watch unbox therapy try the same thing with the htc m8. Metal phone. No bend smart***.

----------

Antenna gate was a real problem, oh wait, never mind I guess we were all holding it wrong right?

Also it's not about sales unless you are an apple employee or stock owner, doesn't really make the consumers experience better.

Why are you using so many periods? It's hard to read what you're saying.

Htc one is Thicker and shorter. 9.3mm vs 7.1z it's common sense.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
After reading all these reports, I honestly can't see my phone bending. It takes a tremendous amount of torque to bend it. Look at that video of the unbox guy. His hands were slightly shaking trying to bend it.

If you guys think it will bend, simply do not buy it. For the rest of us, be careful?

bova80

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Not really. For anyone who isn't a desk jockey the amount of force they use is relatively small. The force I can apply with my thumbs is substantially less than the force of my full bodyweight bearing down on the phone in my pocket while doing any one of a number of outdoor activities (I'm a geologist).

My 4s has survived 3 years without a scratch, due in part to an otterbox. Like I said before, I even have had an iphone-shapd bruise on my thigh, and the phone survived unscathed.

Maybe it won't snap in half in my pocket, but a slight bend is a really big deal. Even with an otterbox I'm unconvinced it will be sufficiently strong, and with the note 4 coming out in two weeks... I dunno. They might lose me :\

This level of quality is unacceptable from apple. Aluminum is a garbage metal unless alloyed and I'm not going to pay additional money for a weaker phone. I love the apple iPhone, but this generation seems unworthy of the brand. Thin is less important than strong for me, fashion is less important than function, and cost is less important than quality.

Don't let the door hit ya on the way out. But normal people aren't sitting at their desk trying to bend the phone like everyone claims. I doubt there are really that many that are bent in people's pockets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.