Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheGdog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
North Carolina, USA
Just browsing the front page, I think to myself. "I know its not as crazy as it looks, but it does give the appearance that apple is going downhill fast."

Just an observation. Not trying to start a war. But just look at these headlines. All of these are front page, first page.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 3.png
    Screen Shot 3.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 123
  • Screen Shot 4.png
    Screen Shot 4.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 100
  • Screen Shot 5.png
    Screen Shot 5.png
    18.2 KB · Views: 92
  • Screen Shot 6.png
    Screen Shot 6.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 114
  • Screen Shot 7.png
    Screen Shot 7.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 113

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
3 of the 5 are Apple's fault. The in-app browser warning for iOS has nothing to do with Apple and everything to do with just warning people to be careful of what they do in those apps since Apple can't 100% assure them that it won't log your inputs. The Bash shell situation isn't entirely Apple's fault, though in reading some threads here the version they use in OS X isn't exactly current.

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
The fact is that Apple is facing a few challenges that it should not have to face if it would stay true to their reputation.

By reputation I refer to products that work, how customers expect them to.

This includes considering simple things such as :

• Be real, who doesn't slip his iPhone in his trowser pocket ?
  • Updates are supposed to be "prefect", thats a fundamental that entices users to update their previous hardware in a time-consuming manner
  • Captive market/Apple-Tax; words that apple-fans can live with as long as Apple delivers guarantees such as a secure environment
and many other tid-bits that make Apple products so lovingly simple but that obviously the top management of Apple really don't care about since SJ has left

So, yes Apple is justly living a hard moment. Hopefully it will address the core causes that brought them about.

But I must say that the "watch after valentine's day" heading is more trash news than anything else.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
This includes considering simple things such as :

• Captive market/Apple-Tax; words that apple-fans can live with as long as Apple delivers guarantees such as a secure environment

I'd take that with a grain of comparison to how insecure the competition is before I'd label Apple as "insecure."

Newsflash: Apple products do have problems, just not as often and often not as bad. But electronics are electronics, and they wear out or fail. I pay for unity and quality from start to finish and a guarantee that updates will work - including major security updates, both of which are things Android devices, as software, can't match and as hardware, apparently won't.

Also, there is no Apple Tax - you simply pay more for a higher quality product, as happens in any industry or with most any tool.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Newsflash: It's all about clicks and negative headlines generate more clicks.

TheGdog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
North Carolina, USA
Just to clarify, I don't necessarily believe that apple is going downhill. But with a new leader and all these problems happening, it might look like that to a lot of people.

jeremysteele

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2011
Just to clarify, I don't necessarily believe that apple is going downhill. But with a new leader and all these problems happening, it might look like that to a lot of people.

New Leader?

Oh you mean Cook, who has been CEO for over 3-years and was interim CEO for a couple months before that? Hardly new ;)

---------

And yeah, let's face it - Apple has seen better times, but it has also seen far worse times. I'll also say there's no comparison of Apple now to Apple of the 00s, when they basically could do no wrong. It'll be years before they ever (if they ever) get to that peak again... but they are far from becoming irrelevant even with all the recent issues.

I just find it funny how many people (bloggers mostly) are trying to compare it to Apple of the 90s.... I may have been young back then but even I remember how absolutely horrible they were doing. There is no comparison. Apple could sell toilet paper right now that would sell better in 1 fiscal quarter than all their products combined in the 90s.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I had to laugh a little here as it is true that Apple, like any other tech company can have some hurdles but let's look back at Microsoft - they simply lied their way through issues.

Windows 3x through XP all were riddled with huge issues that were not readily fixable. Let's also be clear that Microsoft was reactive not pro-active when some serious virus were sent through the net (like slammer). They didn't even have a decent patch management system in place. How many times did Windows require a reboot to fix problems? The list goes on and on.

While I have some huge issues with some of Apple's decisions, I'll just say the troubles they are having are minute compared to Microsoft's issues historically. The only difference is Microsoft did a damn good job of making the public accept it as "normal." People who bought Windows 3.x to XP were part of the world's largest beta testers who paid for the privilege.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
When you market and price your products as something that is 'premium' and then have a few slip ups, slip ups that they'd often tease the competition for, people and the press love to jump on the attack. And I don't blame them. We should doubt and question everything.

It isn't a good week. But no doubt Apple will be working hard to rectify it. iOS has already been fixed, the bash bug isn't really their fault but will be fixed. The most concerning is probably the fragile state of the iPhone 6 models. I know full well that a phone that fragile would last about a week in my hands, so I probably won't be considering one when my contract expires.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.