Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwilli

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2014
I recently purchased an Extreme and Express for work, as of right now the WiFi is broadcasting the SSID network. My question is has anyone tried to hide the Extreme network and get the Express to pickup the signal with the Express also hidden? I want to hide the same WiFi network on both devices- as the Express is the extender, do I have to add the MAC address to the Express and configure it separately or no? Please help.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
I recently purchased an Extreme and Express for work, as of right now the WiFi is broadcasting the SSID network. My question is has anyone tried to hide the Extreme network and get the Express to pickup the signal with the Express also hidden? I want to hide the same WiFi network on both devices- as the Express is the extender, do I have to add the MAC address to the Express and configure it separately or no? Please help.

MAC address isn't needed. Hide the Extreme's SSID and extend it by typing it's SSID into the Express's wireless configuration under "Wireless Network Name" after selecting "extend network". Then under "Wireless Options" on the express click "hide network" like you do on the Extreme.

P.S. Hiding an SSID is old school and gains nothing in way of security. Some devices don't even work well with hidden networks.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
P.S. Hiding an SSID is old school and gains nothing in way of security. Some devices don't even work well with hidden networks.

I can volunteer that my iPhone's battery life is a lot worse when dealing with a hidden network vs. a visible one.

A.

jwilli

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2014
Thank you MARZER & ALRESCHA for your input, I really appreciated it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.