Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shunting123

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014
There is no question it looks CHEAPER than prior models. Does it look "cheap"? That is debatable. My first impression was that it looked like a toy, esp. the white model, so I would partially agree. The glossyness of the front does not help.

Overall design-wise: I think the thinness is amazing, but I feel it is a step down. Everyone is in love with this idea that different = better. Who here thought the 5 series wasn't thin enough?

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
sapphire screens are stupid. when will people understand it? screens are supposed to 1) NOT CRACK or SHATTER. 2) not scratch. Sapphire is very fragile, especially when it's thin (like the screens on these always thinner phones).

----------

i have the 4s and i HATE the glass back. it's the stupidest thing ever, in my opinion. it's unnecessary , it's fragile and not comfortable at all because the glass is not edge to edge. 3 years and still rocking, has been in a case since day 1. i just can't handle it without one.
Being an engineer, I didn't care for the glass back either. It was a cop out. It might as well have been plastic. The glass back on the iPhone 5/5S was a very cheap way (from an engineering perspective) to incorporate a metal back while providing a means to pass cellular and wifi radio signals. Apple couldn't figure how out to achieve adequate cellular and wifi reception with an all metal back, so it tore off large pieces of the metal back and replaced them with large glass windows. Somehow, Apple convinced most folks that this kludge was desirable.

With the iPhone 6, Apple has completely re-engineered its antenna design to achieve the same or better antenna performance in a fraction of the space (small slits in the phone instead of large glass windows). I expect feature iPhone antenna designs will make these lines even less noticeable.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
Being an engineer, I didn't care for the glass back either. It was a cop out. It might as well have been plastic. The glass back on the iPhone 5/5S was a very cheap way (from an engineering perspective) to incorporate a metal back while providing a means to pass cellular and wifi radio signals. Apple couldn't figure how out to achieve adequate cellular and wifi reception with an all metal back, so it tore off large pieces of the metal back and replaced them with large glass windows. Somehow, Apple convinced most folks that this kludge was desirable.

With the iPhone 6, Apple has completely re-engineered its antenna design to achieve the same or better antenna performance in a fraction of the space (small slits in the phone instead of large glass windows). I expect feature iPhone antenna designs will make these lines even less noticeable.

Oh man. I preordered 2 6+ for me and my fiancé, but i still think those lines are HIDEOUS. Just plain UGLY! I always use cases with the iPhones, but still, they could've done a better job than that. Really.

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Overall design-wise: I think the thinness is amazing, but I feel it is a step down. Everyone is in love with this idea that different = better. Who here thought the 5 series wasn't thin enough?
I thought the iPhone 5/5S was the perfect thickness without a case. However, once I added a case, I thought the 5/5S was slightly too thick.

I think the 6 is slightly too thin without a case. However, IMO, the 6 is the perfect thickness once you add a thin case like Apple's leather cover. Like others, I would have preferred a slightly thicker phone with a bigger battery.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
I thought the iPhone 5/5S was the perfect thickness without a case. However, once I added a case, I thought the 5/5S was slightly too thick.

I think the 6 is slightly too thin without a case. However, IMO, the 6 is the perfect thickness once you add a thin case like Apple's leather cover.

Really? I love 4s + case thickness. But i have big hands.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I kind of feel that way. I know Im going to get bashed for this, but to me it feels too light. Something about being heavy makes it feel more sturdy and higher quality. For something of the size of the 6+, I was expecting a little more weight. Though that's probably just me.

FriednTested

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2014
agreed. when the 5 first came out, I was used to the weight of the 4 in my purse and could always tell if my phone was with. with the 5/5s I have to LOOK in my purse now to see if it's missing. Just an adjustment period.

With posts like these I am wondering how many times will I be checking my pocket for the phone since I am coming from the 4S... :p

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
the 4 and 6 aren't all that different in weight (4.55oz for the 6 and 4.8oz for the 4).
True, but the weight of the iPhone 6 is distributed over a much larger area. As a result, it feels lighter than the difference in weight might suggest.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
I only hate the click sound when your press the volume buttons. Btw the curved edge screen is so shiny and looks great under a light.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
I don't think the 6 or 6+ feel cheap. I think they're lighter and of different construction than earlier models.

I wonder if weight is associated with quality in some folks minds?

Burrstone

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
Long Island, NY
Yes, I made a thread about it on launch day.

The cheap feeling is what sealed my decision not to upgrade this time around. They obviously look cheap, with those horrible antenna lines, but once you have it in your hand, it's shocking how cheap and flimsy it actually feels. The 5C feels more premium than a 6 or 6+.

The aluminium back feels like cheap plastic, when it should feel more like an iPad, the buttons are loose, the home button feels really delicate to press, and of course the phone is so light and slippery. It feels like a fragile plastic toy.

This is the first iPhone release that I've been really disappointed in and haven't liked, and I'm a big iPhone and Apple fan. I think a lot of people feel the same with the 6 and 6+, but obviously the majority love the design and feel.

Some people get what I'm saying I think its a matter of taste, I've owned nothing but iPhones for years and that's base it on. I too was disappointed this year for the first time, I love getting the new phone because I'm always amazed and excited. The first feel does it for me.

Many people were using the display phones and it was a mixed reaction (like this thread)...

feels cheap???

WTF!!!

spent last weekend visiting a mate who has a S5.

I cringed every time he opened that cheap flimsy back cover to take out his memory card which by the way kept giving error on his phone....

LOL

Love my internal 128GB memory!!!

I also love my 128GB and I love the resolution as well.

Here's the thing too many of you are getting hung up on "it doesn't feel cheap next to a cheap competitor." I don't care if it doesn't feel as cheap next to another make it feels cheap for an :apple: !

Let's say you get a new mercedes benz as a company car every year and every once and a while you borrow your friends Kia, its gonna feel cheap. The next year around you and everyone in the office got a ford instead of a benz. Are you really going to walk into the office while everyone is complaining that their new ford feels cheaper than the benz they just traded in and say "spent last weekend visiting a mate who has a Kia, our new fords don't nearly feel as cheap as his kia..." Really?

The iPhone screen cracks and is rendered useless on the majority of occasions if dropped.
I would rather have a screen which didn't scratch in normal use but was guaranteed to shatter if I dropped it, than one which scratched in normal use and was pretty certain to crack if I dropped it...either way it's going to need replacing if you drop it, so why not enjoy the lack of a screen protector in the meantime?

We've been through this before I'm on my 4th iPhone in probably 5 years, I don't keep it in a case, no screen protector and my phone has always been flawless. I've never broken the screen, scratched it, etc. I've dropped them many times on hard surfaces and I'm not as careful with it as I should be especially when i'm drinking in fact this morning I had play find my iphone.

I always see Androids with broken or horribly scratched up screens. I figure I see so many broken Android these day's Vs: :apple: because of the quality and when broken those cheap phones probably aren't worth fixing.

----------

Feels too cheap? Hahah, here's the solution: http://www.goldgenie.com Enjoy! :D

Yes, I thought about that already. I live in NY though and wouldn't always feel comfortable pulling a (real) gold or platinum iPhone out on the train or on the street. That would render the everyday usability right up with the Plus imo.

The next time Apple wants to produce a cheap feeling phone and have an month plus delivery time it better because they're offering a custom platinum upgrade!

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
The screen feels nice but the light thin 6061 non-tempered aluminum body feels hollow and a bit cheap. I would prefer a heavier more robust feel. I don't care about weight as much.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I don't think the new phones look or feel cheap. I have the iPhone 6 and think it looks elegant and feels great. I had the iPhone 5 previously which I was happy with but after holding it again (didn't sell mine) it doesn't feel or look nearly as good to me. Can't beat the size of the 5 for carrying, but the larger screen on the 6 is awesome.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2011
Love the iPhone 6 overall, but does anyone think it feels kind of cheap?

The rounded edges and lightness of it make it feel really cheap for some reason. I wish it was a bit heavier w a hard edge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.