Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MadDogMike

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I'm using a Time Capsule as my router, and when using airplay from my patio, the signal occasionally gets interrupted. There is one room (kitchen) between the room where the Time Capsule is and the patio. So, I added an Airport Express to wirelessly extend the network and placed it on top of a kitchen cabinet which is against the exterior wall adjacent to the patio. I thought this would give me a stronger WiFi signal on the patio, but I'm not convinced it has helped.

1.) Since the TC and the AE are only a room apart, is this to close?
2.) Since they're both the same SSID, is there any way to know if/when my iPhone is connected to the AE vs the TC? (perhaps an app?)
3.) Is there an app to more accurately measure WiFi signal strength?
4.) Any other advice?

eduardrw

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2013
If you can connect both TC and AE via Ethernet, you are rock solid! this is the best option.

Using WIFI to connect them makes them susceptible to the WIFI fog of all your neighbors.
Being close together for the routers is not at problem.

On an average night I can see around 10-15 routers on the WIFI tool i am using.
They are all sharing effectively 3 channels on the 2.4GHz band and a few more on the 5GHz band.
WIFI tool I am using: $2.99 https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wifi-scanner/id411680127?mt=12

One thing to look into: I have seen roaming dropouts on airplay when using multiple apple routers and my device is using the 5GHz band.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I'm using a Time Capsule as my router, and when using airplay from my patio, the signal occasionally gets interrupted. There is one room (kitchen) between the room where the Time Capsule is and the patio. So, I added an Airport Express to wirelessly extend the network and placed it on top of a kitchen cabinet which is against the exterior wall adjacent to the patio. I thought this would give me a stronger WiFi signal on the patio, but I'm not convinced it has helped.

1.) Since the TC and the AE are only a room apart, is this to close?
2.) Since they're both the same SSID, is there any way to know if/when my iPhone is connected to the AE vs the TC? (perhaps an app?)
3.) Is there an app to more accurately measure WiFi signal strength?
4.) Any other advice?

You can tell what you are connected to via AirPort Utility. You should roam seamlessly, but like Eduardrw stated, it should really be connected via Ethernet for best results.

MadDogMike

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
Atlanta, GA
If you can connect both TC and AE via Ethernet, you are rock solid! this is the best option.

Yeah, I know that would be best, but that would involve a lot of work, running ethernet wires through walls, outside around the house and back in again to the AE. I don't think my occasional AirPlay dropouts are worth all that hassle.

Oh, that's only for OS-X. I'm looking for an iOS app for my iPhone.

One thing to look into: I have seen roaming dropouts on airplay when using multiple apple routers and my device is using the 5GHz band.

Not sure what you mean by that. When used in the "Extend Wireless Network" mode, would the AE be considered an additional router? And if I saw that behavior, could I do anything about it?

You can tell what you are connected to via AirPort Utility.

The AirPort Utility just shows me a diagram of my network. Doesn't show whether my iPhone is connected to the TC or AE extender. Screen shot.

Last edited:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Yeah, I know that would be best, but that would involve a lot of work, running ethernet wires through walls, outside around the house and back in again to the AE. I don't think my occasional AirPlay dropouts are worth all that hassle.

Oh, that's only for OS-X. I'm looking for an iOS app for my iPhone.

Not sure what you mean by that. When used in the "Extend Wireless Network" mode, would the AE be considered an additional router? And if I saw that behavior, could I do anything about it?

The AirPort Utility just shows me a diagram of my network. Doesn't show whether my iPhone is connected to the TC or AE extender. Screen shot.

If you click your base station then hit "Wireless Clients" it will tell you.

MadDogMike

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Well, even though the Airport Express is right next to the exterior wall adjacent to the patio, still the WiFi signal on my iPhone sometimes drops from the full 3 bars to the minimum 1 bar, resulting in AirPlay cutouts. Even if I were to connect the TC & AE via ethernet, I wouldn't think that would improve the AE's signal strength to my iPhone when outside.

Assuming an Airport Extreme has a stronger signal than an Express, is it possible to use an Extreme to extend the network from the TC?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Well, even though the Airport Express is right next to the exterior wall adjacent to the patio, still the WiFi signal on my iPhone sometimes drops from the full 3 bars to the minimum 1 bar, resulting in AirPlay cutouts. Even if I were to connect the TC & AE via ethernet, I wouldn't think that would improve the AE's signal strength to my iPhone when outside.

Assuming an Airport Extreme has a stronger signal than an Express, is it possible to use an Extreme to extend the network from the TC?

It is possible to use any modern AirPort with each other. Though, I think that the clients are jumping between the Time Capsule and Express too easily and at the wrong times.

MadDogMike

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Probably so. I wonder if I can reverse them, connecting the Airport Express to the cable modem so it's the router and using the TC as the extender?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.