Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Absolutely correct, and a better word than I used; thanks Steve686.

I just defaulted to "fake" once there was some obvious funny-business (manipulation) going on with the Unbox Therapy video.

Unbox Therapy is manipulation, at the least; therefore fake overall, in my opinion.

Fake is the wrong word.

Manipulated, to achieve the desired effect, is the correct word.

antiprotest

Suspended
Apr 19, 2010
I think the fact that each YouTube view puts money in people's pockets might be fanning the flames?

I mean, who cares about facts when mischievously stoking a controversy will make money fall from the sky. Quite a downpour, too.

Of course revenue for video creators is a part of it, or many of them might not produce any video about anything at all.

However, individual consumers and social media users who are viewing and sharing these videos are not motivated by ad revenue, but the claim that Unbox Therapy video was fake is fanning the flames for people to look for other videos and to discuss them. The same news sites that discussed the UT video are now also paying attention to the other test videos.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
No. Just no. He uses two cameras. I would say it is due to cutting and editing. No fake. There are also more and worse bend videos out there. He is neutral. Tests with other phones and even said the 6 was good. Sorry. Denial is worse than those posting bendgate.

Wow you are in denial. How do you explain the time on the phone. Wake up

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
Absolutely correct, and a better word than I used; thanks Steve686.

I just defaulted to "fake" once there was some obvious funny-business (manipulation) going on with the Unbox Therapy video.

Unbox Therapy is manipulation, at the least; therefore fake overall, in my opinion.

Just a little tweak. If we eliminated the word 'fake', there would be much more unison in the threads to what was actually taking place and less infighting about the fact that he did indeed bend some phones.

antiprotest

Suspended
Apr 19, 2010

Don't worry. He's about to do a live bending in about an hour in a public square in Toronto. The claim that the first video is fake is getting this issue so much more attention and this guy so much more publicity.

Backfire.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I'll see if I can get you one but again, it was so small that I found it when looking at something in the reflection of the screen. I took a look at the side where the volume buttons are and I swear it didn't look perfectly straight. Looked at the other side and it looked fine-ish.

So I rested the phone on a table and pushed down near the home button area (If the phone was straight it wouldn't matter where i pushed, it would be straight, right? No gaps underneath. Also note I had the camera module hanging off the edge so that it wouldn't interfere here).

I used a torch on the other side of the device and there was around 1mm or less of light bleeding through from what I could see.

So yeah, it doesn't bother me too much but it's there and I'm worried it will get worse over time considering I've only had the device since Monday.

----------

Haha, I've got another 6+ (gold this time) coming any second now, I'll open it up and see if I can snap some pictures up with that. of the bend.

It does so matter because the camera protrudes making it impossible to lie completely flat on a table.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
The key when it comes to the bending of these phones in the video is not how much it actually bends.

What matters is what happens afterwards - does it go back to the shape it had or not? We all know the answer.

Bending something back doesn't make it as good as new. If your d$&* broke off and they put it back on, would it be good as new?

Fake or not, why would the times be wrong on the phone after the bend?

bnmcj1

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2014

Of course I did not even bother to look at the time. With a logical sense, why would you? It does not matter. As I said, it is editing the video. As every video/tv spot. It does not matter as the phone bends easily. There are more proofs out there and he wanted to set up the scene to tell. How can it change the fact that it bends? It cannot.

bova80

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Of course I did not even bother to look at the time. With a logical sense, why would you? It does not matter. As I said, it is editing the video. As every video/tv spot. It does not matter as the phone bends easily. There are more proofs out there and he wanted to set up the scene to tell. How can it change the fact that it bends? It cannot.

where is all the proof? I've seen like 2 pictures of a phone that was bent, and the rest of people physically taking their phones and bending it.

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States
Don't worry. He's about to do a live bending in about an hour in a public square in Toronto. The claim that the first video is fake is getting this issue so much more attention and this guy so much more publicity.

Backfire.

No, we can't trust him. He will do his best to bend the iPhone to justify his previous FAKE video. I guarantee he will press as hard as he can with a smile on his face.

----------

You can edit the video but not the timeline. He edited the timeline. Don't tell me he had a time machine.

The scene he is going to set up will not prove anything. He will do his best to bend the iPhone to justify the previous video. If you were him, would you fail?

fmcarv

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
"Bendgate" Video Faked?

The Apple Defense Force will ignore this or call it fake

We all know a phone can be bent when under extreme stress....

That proves what exactly?

Do people go around doing that in real life?

End of.....ciao!

JoeTomasone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2014

NOTICE THE PHONE DOESNT DISPLAY THE CARRIER OR BATTERY ANYMORE ALSO. THE DATES MATCH UP AND THE TIME STAMPS DO NO MATCH UP. THIS IS 100% FAKE.

It doesn't show the carrier or battery because he has partially pulled down the notification screen. Try it on yours; it does the same thing and looks exactly the same (note the horizontal white "pull-bar").

microlizer

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2014
I think most people are focusing too much on whether the actual bending of the phone is fake or not. I have no doubt that with enough force, you can indeed bend the phone like that.

However people are missing the fact that at the beginning video, he talks about how he had noticed that his own phone had been bent from normal usage over the last couple of days and proceeds to show the viewer the bend in his phone. The problem with this is the video clip he is using is from when he "actually" bends his phone. 0:30-0:35 is the same as 1:19-1:24.

So does this mean this whole video is fake? Nope. However, due to the discrepancies in the timeline and the way the video is edited, there is no way to confirm that his phone was originally bent from normal usage and not just him showing a slightly re-straightened phone.

Last edited:

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States
I think most people are focusing too much on whether the actual bending of the phone is fake or not. I have no doubt that with enough force, you can indeed bend the phone like that.

However people are missing the fact that at the beginning video, he talks about how he had noticed that his own phone had been bent from normal usage over the last couple of days and proceeds to show the viewer the bend in his phone. The problem with this is the video clip he is using is from when he "actually" bends his phone. 0:30-0:35 is the same as 1:19-1:24.

So does this mean this whole video is fake? Nope. However, due to the discrepancies in the timeline and the way the video is edited, there is no way to confirm that his phone was originally bent from normal usage and not just him showing a slightly re-straightened phone.

The phone was completely bent on 1:58PM. It was straight with some damage near the volume button on 2:00PM. He showed us a slightly bent phone on around 2:25PM and said it was bent from normal usage. Then, he started bending it on 2:26PM. What is the fact? The phone didn't bent from normal usage but done by him intentionally. He is a liar and therefore the video is fake.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.