Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

n0cus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Hey PowerPCers,

I was looking at the Google Code page for Tiger Webkit, and it seems it hasn't been updated in two years. Is development dead on Tiger WebKit? I ask this, because I am trying to find the best browser for Tiger, but it seems like TenFourFox is the only modern option.

Thanks for the help everyone!

hamis92

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
Finland
I personally find this sad because I've never liked Firefox UI-wise. I'd much rather use Safari (and I will, as long as it runs).

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
If you're only using Tiger, you have two options:

1. TenFourFox, which requires 10.4.

2. Classilla, which runs under Classic so you need 9.2.2 installed.

And honestly, Classilla is a rather good browser, but it isn't updated nearly as often as TFF.

CYB3RBYTE

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2014
Midwest
Tiger is almost a now ten-year old OS, meaning that not many people are going to put the time into writing a webkit for such an un-maintained OS. While I love Tiger and it's great performance on PPC Machines, there are little to no browsers that support it.

Long Live Tiger, and TFF!

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
Here's a short list

of currently supported browsers for Debian PowerPC Linux:

Iceweasel (Firefox)
Iceape (Seamonkey)
Midori (version in the Debian repositories is hella old, but you can compile your own)
dwb
Luakit
Surf
Netsurf
Links2 ("limits" you to HTML 1, but if all you want to do is read macrumors, nytimes, bbc, etc, it works great and is blinding fast. Blinding.)
Qupzilla (in sid, and you'll need qt libraries)

Back up your data, partition your drive, install Debian PowerPC (People may say what about Ubuntu, I'd avoid the 'buntus except maybe the 12.04 LTS with Unity 2D frankly), follow the ppcluddite's guide if you need help. Time has come to move on from OS X when it comes to interneting. Use OS X for everything its good at, and use PowerPC Linux for interneting.Tenfourfox doesn't have a whole lot longer, if you read Dr. K's blog. Lotsa problems coming down the pike when Mozilla dumps 10.6 code that he relies on. He'll keep it secure as he can for as long as he can I am sure.

Last edited:

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
I don't think I'd run Debian on a PowerPC, I think Gentoo is really the only way to go. Binaries are fine when you have some power but I think I'd extra power eek you'd get from running a source based distro on something like a G4.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
of currently supported browsers for Debian PowerPC Linux:

Iceweasel (Firefox)
Iceape (Seamonkey)
Midori (version in the Debian repositories is hella old, but you can compile your own)
dwb
Luakit
Surf
Netsurf
Links2 ("limits" you to HTML 1, but if all you want to do is read macrumors, nytimes, bbc, etc, it works great and is blinding fast. Blinding.)
Qupzilla (in sid, and you'll need qt libraries)

Back up your data, partition your drive, install Debian PowerPC (People may say what about Ubuntu, I'd avoid the 'buntus except maybe the 12.04 LTS with Unity 2D frankly), follow the ppcluddite's guide if you need help. Time has come to move on from OS X when it comes to interneting. Use OS X for everything its good at, and use PowerPC Linux for interneting.Tenfourfox doesn't have a whole lot longer, if you read Dr. K's blog. Lotsa problems coming down the pike when Mozilla dumps 10.6 code that he relies on. He'll keep it secure as he can for as long as he can I am sure.

I don't think the OS X fans need to abandon it yet for internet browsing. TenFourFox is still actively developed and will likely be maintained for security even after no new releases are possible, though I certainly don't know Mr. Kaiser's plans and wouldn't blame him if he didn't want to undertake such a painstaking project.

For people who are committed to keeping their PPC machines in active use after the end of TFF and will want up to date browsers, it might be a good idea to try out Linux or BSD now so it's an easier transition when the time comes. Still, there's no rush just yet and nobody needs to abandon OS X for web browsing right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.