Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hudson1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Looking for any advice or experience from others....

Just bought a "device only" iPhone 6 at an Apple Store today. I've yet to open the box but my receipt lists all the critical data, notably the IMEI. When I plug the IMEI into Cricket Wireless's Bring Your Own Phone compatibility checker, it confirms:

Everything Great About Cricket
Unlimited Talk and Messaging
Up to 3G Data Speeds

No mention of LTE. Anyone know if this is just an error in their compatibility checker or if perhaps LTE just isn't available with an unlocked VZW phone?

Lastly, if there really is a problem then would I have success if I take this phone back and exchange it for a "device only" AT&T model? Many thanks in advance.

ilkevinli

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
NYC
It should work with LTE without a problem. I know the Verizon 5S worked because I tested it. It probably has to do with Cricket not recognizing the IMEI number. Post back if it works.

Just bought a "device only" iPhone 6 at an Apple Store today. I've yet to open the box but my receipt lists all the critical data, notably the IMEI. When I plug the IMEI into Cricket Wireless's Bring Your Own Phone compatibility checker, it confirms:

Up to 3G Data Speeds

No mention of LTE. Anyone know if this is just an error in their compatibility checker or if perhaps LTE just isn't available with an unlocked VZW phone?

Lastly, if there really is a problem then would I have success if I take this phone back and exchange it for a "device only" AT&T model? Many thanks in advance.

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
It will work. Their system is not that smart, it most likely has no idea that is even an iPhone 6 IMEI because they probably aren't even setup to sell them yet.

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
Cricket LTE on unlocked VZW iPhone 6?

Up to 3G Data Speeds

Yes, the Verizon iPhone will work, because it is unlocked. Cricket, now owned by AT&T, only activates new phones to Cricket on GSM service, including HSPA+ (4G) and LTE.

https://www.cricketwireless.com/map.html

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

Up to 3G Data Speeds

I think right now, it's just not recognizing iPhone 6/6+ models. I have an AT&T 6 Plus and plugging in the IMEI shows the same thing. Also, it gives me a choice of SIM card size instead of showing the one compatible with my device. Meanwhile, Cricket's system recognized my Verizon iPhone 5c's IMEI just fine. Showed 4G LTE supported and everything.

lcgarza10

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2008
Houston
IT Wont get LTE

I did it, you wont get LTE as far as today oct 29,2014. I only got 4g and I think that is draining my battery im noticying. I tested with two different iphone 6 models. Verizon iphone 6 and att paid in full(device only) means unlocked phone

I also just noticed that in the website if you put iphone 6 imei it says you will get up to 3g speeds, which is true im not getting more than 3.5 MBps.

I will test this afternoon with an iPhone 5s (in the website If you put this 5s imei it says will support lte

I don't understand why is this issue but is sad

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
Cricket LTE on unlocked VZW iPhone 6?

I did it, you wont get LTE as far as today oct 29,2014. I only got 4g and I think that is draining my battery im noticying. I tested with two different iphone 6 models. Verizon iphone 6 and att paid in full(device only) means unlocked phone

I also just noticed that in the website if you put iphone 6 imei it says you will get up to 3g speeds, which is true im not getting more than 3.5 MBps.

I will test this afternoon with an iPhone 5s (in the website If you put this 5s imei it says will support lte

I don't understand why is this issue but is sad

To use an iPhone 6 on Cricket, you will need to activate it on Cricket's GSM network, not the legacy CDMA network that is going bye-bye in 2015.

Last edited:

wicker21

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
I have a device only VZW iPhone 6 bought from brick and mortar Apple Store on Cricket and I get LTE. I signed up when it was AIO with an iPhone 5s and got LTE on that phone as well.

Are you just starting service with Cricket or do you have an existing plan & SIM? My guess after reading other replies is that it may not work on LTE since Cricket does not know what the IMEI pertains to. Since my SIM was associated with an iPhone 5s and just moved the SIM to the new phone Cricket was none the wiser - they still think I have an iPhone 5s.

lcgarza10

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2008
Houston
I have a device only VZW iPhone 6 bought from brick and mortar Apple Store on Cricket and I get LTE. I signed up when it was AIO with an iPhone 5s and got LTE on that phone as well.

Are you just starting service with Cricket or do you have an existing plan & SIM? My guess after reading other replies is that it may not work on LTE since Cricket does not know what the IMEI pertains to. Since my SIM was associated with an iPhone 5s and just moved the SIM to the new phone Cricket was none the wiser - they still think I have an iPhone 5s.

You were totally right! Thank you very much!!
I called them and I told them that I changed my phone and that now I have an iPhone 5S, I gave an iphone 5S IMEI and asked them to update their system, after some testing with the representative and shutdown and restar now I got LTE! THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

I don't understand why in their system the iPhone 6 IMEI is still not registered to get LTE, if the 5S has it iPhone 6 should have it as well!

Chava

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2013
I also have an iPhone 6 from Verizon and like jcrandall said it works perfectly I live in Fontana and I get LTE

Chava

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2013
I never used it with Verizon only with cricket but the guy who sold it to me he used with Verizon

Oldskratch

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2015
Merica
I never used it with Verizon only with cricket but the guy who sold it to me he used with Verizon
I don't see why it wouldn't work if I only used it with cricket because the Verizon phones are sold unlocked, but I'm just trying to make sure before I buy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.