Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
I have a 256 gig SSD and 1 TB HDD both internal. There is no benefit to the latest machines that would make up for losing my internal storage. 0.25" thinner so I can carry and extra box and cable? I also have 16 gig of ram which cost me $80 back in 2011. I am aware I can buy the upgrade from Apple for the lasted, but $300 just to break even with what I had 3.5 years ago?

This one isn't a dealbreaker, but I do use my ethernet port a few times a month. I'd buy a machine without one but I'd still miss it.

Apple just keeps taking away features and performance to make it thinner. If the machine this thread is about does turn out to be real, it will be 4 years newer than mine and still have a slower CPU and less features.

While I can understand where you are coming from, like for like - your machine as opposed to the 13" rMBP you could buy today is better in every way than the machine you have now, when you took delivery of it, i.e. before you modified it, and still is in most ways. The CPU and GPU is WAY better on the new machines. Not to mentiom USB and Thunderbolt revisions that your machine doesn't have and never can.

Don't compare an MBA to a MBP, that's not like for like.

Storage I get, but it seems you are using it as your only computer, so it has to serve dual purposes. Apple doesn't build laptops to replace the home computer with mass storage and to be your media hub. That's why they make iMacs :) If you have your entire iTunes library and Photo collection (iPhoto or other) then I see your point completely.

My Mac mini server has been the media and storage hub of the house since we got it in 2010. I've also upgraded the storage and RAM on it, did the conversion to SSD, etc. it is going pretty strong. So I get that part. But don't try to say that today's machines aren't as good, they are simply way better in every measurable way (except storage capacity possibly in BTO configurations.) I would love to get a new Mac mini (if they ever update it!!) because it will be 10x the machine I have now.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
fan-less..

You get to a point, u ask yourself . In what situations would u be in where you don't need a fan ? In the MBA or MBP-Retina, its not exactly screaming.

And how many situations would u been as an average user to have one of these Mac's ? and how many users would be hurt fan noise?

I would bet not a lot.

Thus, its all cosmetics these days.

All computers have Fans.... its goo that Apple is going fan-less, but no PC is every going to go this route, and people will still buy PC's, and people will still be fan based Mac's..

Its not like a huge deal for everyone.... just for some.

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
Not eager for a "new" standard of cables. Since I currently don't own one single thunderbolt device, other than my two macs. Also, in a corporate world with a mini display port on work laptop, i'm weekly running into issues with connections to projectors. So, here's to standardization! /semi-rant

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Hope we don't have to wait until next year. The Intel chips are out now so why the delay? Like the idea of a space grey version although I really wish they would change the name to Granite or whatever. Space grey sounds stupid.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Stop this thinness madness...

We need performance and battery life....not a credit card thin laptop/smartphone/tablet...

Are you the queen or why are you using the word "we"?

You may need performance. Not everybody does. Apple sells more than one model. Some people want something that is very light and that doesn't need to be powerful at all. Others can get a quad core retina MBP.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
All computers have Fans.... its goo that Apple is going fan-less, but no PC is every going to go this route, and people will still buy PC's, and people will still be fan based Mac's..

The fanless aspect is just one benefit. It doesn't require a fan because the new processor uses little power and that means the computer can be made thinner and lighter. Nearly every major PC maker will make a thin fanless tablet/PC with this processor, not just Apple.

Thomas2006

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006
This smells more like an ARMbook than an ultraportable. An ARM notebook running an iOS derivative and directly competing against "the average" windows notebook on price wouldn't be a bad product.
I think it will use an ARM processor; however, I do not think it will be an iOS derivative. I think both OS X and iOS will be installed with functionality similar to how Rosetta and the "Classic" environment worked.

Those needing an X86_64 processor will continue to have the choice of MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iMac, or Mac Pro. The MacBook will be Apple's version of the Google Chromebook, a computer designed for cloud computing.

sundragon

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2011
Washington, DC

We need performance and battery life....not a credit card thin laptop/smartphone/tablet...

This differentiates the MBA from the MBPr!

Buy a Macbook Pro Retina if you want performance!

Currently, they are too close in terms of performance/weight/size...

:D

ugru

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2002
Caput Mundi
Are you the queen or why are you using the word "we"?

aaa.jpg

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
Seeing as both USB 3.1 (via type C connector) and Thunderbolt 3 will support up to 100W of power flow through their connectors, not really any reason for a separate power port any more, when either/both of the connectors can do it now. (Or will be able to once they come to market, anyway.)

A super nice side effect of this would be being able to charge from either side of the machine (assuming they put ports on both sides). That would be great!

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK

I want a machine that's as thin and as light as an iPad Mini. I want a machine that I can slip in my bag and not even realise it's there (no giant bezels!). As for battery life, as long as I can get ~5 hours out of the battery then that'll do.

I'm hoping the rumoured 12" MacBook could tick all the above boxes and they'll get a sale from me. I bet an ultra skinny laptop from Apple will be a roaring success. If they also give people the option of different colours like has been rumoured then this thing will be huge for the consumer market.

----------

Fanless? Wow. I'm not quite sure, I'd be willing to take a chance on a fanless laptop. Not given Apple's track record with heat management, i.e., hot laptops.

Relax, the ULV Broadwell CPU's are designed for highly portable very thing machines/tablets.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Be interesting to see what this is, sheesh, I hope it's for the iPad Pro. That render is scary.

I'm all for a super lightweight computer with a killer screen and battery life, but if this is the MBA I hope it is not that slim.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
I think Apple is in a better position to switch CPU architectures than back in 2005/2006. (And they wouldn't be switching, but adding.) These days "everyone" is using Xcode, Objective-C (or Swift), Apple's runtimes and frameworks, etc. That makes supporting a new CPU architecture pretty light-weight for developers. I don't even think they'll need a Rosetta-like mode to be able to run non-ARM software on an ARM Mac... we'll all just expect developers to release a version that supports ARM natively and developers pretty much will.

It wouldn't totally surprise me if this device was ARM from day one.

I am so amazed reading these forums and coming across the word "innovation" as used by a lot of people that don't seem to know what it means. They say that Apple isn't innovative because they put 1GB in the iPhone instead of 2GB... Or because of battery size choices. These decisions have nothing to do with innovation.
Now, switching CPUs, or something more monumental like that... Now that is more appropriately described as innovation. Think more outside the box. To me, giving us just the next iteration of he same processor line, with routine minor spec bumps, is not really advancing technology. Apple needs to think more forwardly.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
Apple is trying to raise iPad sales, but they are not THAT desperate

raise sales compared to iPhones?

iPads are pretty much dominating the tablet market, and some statistics for androids is really out of context.

Android devices whether its tablets or phones are going to sell more because 3rd and 2nd world countries cant afford them.

If apple makes them much more affordable they'd dominate completely. but theres not need for them to do that.

everywhere i go, LA to NY, Shanghai, Hong Kong, London, Paris, India. the majority of all these places want apple products and you see them everywhere.

i mean i dont even remember the last time I've seen an android tablet in public on an NYC subway or starbucks in any major city.

honestly US is the only place I've seen with so many android fanboys. I wonder if these fanboys would still be there if our carriers at home didnt pay half of the phone and we had to pay full price and if we were some who pushed into a state where we'd be a 2nd world country and cant nowhere near afford it besides cheap ass android phones.

Robstevo

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2014
The current battery life of the airs , as well as the performance is currently good enough for people's needs.

If appl can reduce the thinness , while keeping the same battery life and performance , as well as add a retina screen , then it will be a winner.

People though will regret when/if Apple did move the airs into an arm platform. Currently arm is no where near at the performance levels needed for a good computer, and power consumption ain't exactly far better, certainly not enough to justify moving to arm considering Intel chips currently help provide 10+ hours already of battery life which is incredible.

Not only that but power consumption and integrated graphics keeps on improving vastly on Intel chips , so there is zero point In getting rid of Intel just for the sake of it.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
The current battery life of the airs , as well as the performance is currently good enough for people's needs.

If appl can reduce the thinness , while keeping the same battery life and performance , as well as add a retina screen , then it will be a winner.

People though will regret when/if Apple did move the airs into an arm platform. Currently arm is no where near at the performance levels needed for a good computer, and power consumption ain't exactly far better, certainly not enough to justify moving to arm considering Intel chips currently help provide 10+ hours already of battery life which is incredible.

Not only that but power consumption and integrated graphics keeps on improving vastly on Intel chips , so there is zero point In getting rid of Intel just for the sake of it.

Even if Apple doesn't want to switch, it is good that with the A8X they're starting to put pressure on Intel to get their ass in to gear and stop slacking.

After beating AMD, Intel really stopped pushing R&D and it showed.

Robstevo

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2014
Even if Apple doesn't want to switch, it is good that with the A8X they're starting to put pressure on Intel to get their ass in to gear and stop slacking.

After beating AMD, Intel really stopped pushing R&D and it showed.
Really ? I think what Intel are doing is amazing ,sure the delays they are experiencing now are bad but then they are expected for what they are doing and the amount of shrinkage they are doing to the die shrink. Battery life and integrated graphics have improved vastly over the last few years so performance wise I don't think people should be blasting them. Just look at the battery life of the MacBook air now , 12 hour battery life in a note book that thin was unheard of and its mainly down to the R & D they have done.

Even the 7 inch tablets that use the Intel atom processors yet can run full windows is amazing.

It is great what arm are doing and apple with the arm design , but the fact you have laptops now (MacBook air ) that last longer than mobile devices like the iPad , but have far better performance and graphics , says to me that Intel are far more ahead of the game than arm

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Really ? I think what Intel are doing is amazing ,sure the delays they are experiencing now are bad but then they are expected for what they are doing and the amount of shrinkage they are doing to the die shrink. Battery life and integrated graphics have improved vastly over the last few years so performance wise I don't think people should be blasting them. Just look at the battery life of the MacBook air now , 12 hour battery life in a note book that thin was unheard of and its mainly down to the R & D they have done.

Even the 7 inch tablets that use the Intel atom processors yet can run full windows is amazing.

It is great what arm are doing and apple with the arm design , but the fact you have laptops now (MacBook air ) that last longer than mobile devices like the iPad , but have far better performance and graphics , says to me that Intel are far more ahead of the game than arm

They beat AMD quite a few years back, its the potential loss of PC business from mobile that made then finally go faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.