Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
because they show screenshots of the iphone, those pixels are visible in the recorded video and not only in complete darkness. It just needs a not so well illuminated room during daytime. I can see mine during the day when the area with the hot pixel moves in a darker object. You dont film the bright sky everytime so this can be an issue

Only in slo mo ?

formerpc

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2009
My 6 has a couple of those spots, but honestly- it doesn't bother me that there are a couple problematic pixels that can only be noticed in an extremely particular situation. My iPad Air has a dead pixel. It happens. *shrug*

shabanggg

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2014
Definitely checked 2 iPhone 5S' no noisy Touch ID and no weird pixels in slo mo.

Looks like it's just my iPhone 6, so getting that replaced on Tuesday and see if that is any better.

you guys that are exchanging...will you take a replacement unit like they always give (refurbished plain box unit) or do you want a brand new sealed in the box unit?

I am def not keeping mine as there are several pixels that flash while recording and during recording, everybody can see them clear as day (no camera tricks/light tricks), but I don't think I want one of their replacement units..I want a brand new in the box unit since my iphone isn't even 24 hours old..I paid full retail..

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
Here is the supposed "issue"

The flashing pixels only occur in slo mo not in normal video, panorama or camera. That means in the MAJORITY of cases it is invisible

Slo-mo is meant to be shot with a proper source of light, an incandescent bulb is NOT a proper source of light for slo mo because the image is already very dark. Realistically you would never shoot with one minor source of light espeficially in slo mo

On some phones the slo mo shows those flashing pixels in no or low light, if it happens in medium to proper light THEN it's an issue that Apple can probably address. For example in the Apple Store they will test it in their store lighting which is good lighting, it will be hard for them to replace it there if they don't see it in slo mo there

A sensor is never 100 percent perfect, nothing is, especially those which don't have true low light high ISO ability which is truly only available in dslr or compact cameras or professional cameras. The high iso needs light especially in slo mo to function properly

http://mitchmartinez.com/a-few-notes-about-high-frame-rate-slow-motion/

If you dont have proper light , slo mo is useless , and with proper light this hot pixel is automatically mitigated and if it doesn't then you contact Apple and complain

Right now most is picking up straws, the pixels you see are the ones which are hot pixels not having any affect on video or picture or slo mo in proper light because those hot pixels in low light are only visible because you are individualized them in lower light (slowed down); when you have proper light , the surrounding pixels compensate and the hot pixel goes invisible to the naked eye

youknome

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
you guys that are exchanging...will you take a replacement unit like they always give (refurbished plain box unit) or do you want a brand new sealed in the box unit?

I am def not keeping mine as there are several pixels that flash while recording and during recording, everybody can see them clear as day (no camera tricks/light tricks), but I don't think I want one of their replacement units..I want a brand new in the box unit since my iphone isn't even 24 hours old..I paid full retail..

As I am still within my 14 day period. My carrier (Vodafone) is exchanging it, so I'm giving them my handset and they're giving me a brand new boxed one.

If I went to Apple with this obviously they'll give you a refurbished one. But at this point in time, will it be a refurbished one? Probably no, it'll most likely be iPhones that didn't pass QC initially so needed a bit of work done.

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
As I am still within my 14 day period. My carrier (Vodafone) is exchanging it, so I'm giving them my handset and they're giving me a brand new boxed one.

If I went to Apple with this obviously they'll give you a refurbished one. But at this point in time, will it be a refurbished one? Probably no, it'll most likely be iPhones that didn't pass QC initially so needed a bit of work done.

There are no refurbished 6's yet. White box units are the same as a new sealed box unit. They are simply exchange units not full retail boxes

Thrifty1

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009
We purchased two iPhone 6 last week. Checked both this morning for this issue. One had no pixel issues when recording in slow motion and the other had 2 pixels with this problem. The pixels appeared to be flashing green when recording in slow motion and were white spots on the recorded video when playing back.

Took it to the Apple store this morning and they swapped it out with no problem. The replacement phone had no pixel problems.

They mentioned they are only doing swaps for new phones (no repairs) at this time for any issues as Apple wants all phones with problems sent back for engineering review. Apparently this is how they have done it in the past for new iPhone launches. So I would assume these are not refurbished phones being given as replacement and should be brand new just packaged differently.

FYI... this particular phone was just replaced yesterday. The first one had some sort of dust / foreign material dead center inside of the camera lens.

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010

Are you saying that Apple will replace an iPhone with one that did not pass QC?

I don't think so.

Sharpanator

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2014
Germany
I think i will keep mine, its not worth the nerves to swap it out and get a worse one one with other failures. i probably will never use slow-mo function at all and i wont use it in low light. Every Iphone or every digital camera has those pixels but they appear in different iso levels, some earlier some later

youknome

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
Are you saying that Apple will replace an iPhone with one that did not pass QC?

I don't think so.

I didn't say that. I said the refurbished ones may be iPhones that didn't pass QC initially to be sold as new. So parts etc replaced and then being used as refurbished phones.

But as a poster earlier just said that at the moment replacement iPhones are brand new ones just packaged differently.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Wow, seems like Iphone 6 Plus is having a lot of problems...I tried the Note 4 at bestbuy today and it was stunning and a wonderful device on all regards... Even the design was gorgeous

Rogo117

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Wow, seems like Iphone 6 Plus is having a lot of problems...I tried the Note 4 at bestbuy today and it was stunning and a wonderful device on all regards... Even the design was gorgeous

Every phone will have its own issues when you're mass-producing 10+ million phones in less than a month.

Sharpanator

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2014
Germany

well, if the note4 has a 240fps mode then it has the same problem :)
The note4 dosnt look that good, it still look like all samsungs before. I guess thats why they can offer the phones cheaper

Last edited:

Benny-

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2009
Berlin
Glad in a way that it's not just me that noticed this. I have 5 spots one of them is larger and very noticeable.
I noticed it right away when trying out the slow motion mode. Can't say that it bothers me too much since slow mo is more of a gimmick for me and I'm sure i'd tire of it soon enough.
I will be passing an Apple Store tomorrow I might drop by to see what the display 6+'s are like.
I'm usually very anal about such things but the phone is otherwise perfect and I know from experience that a replacement can be a headache.
I wouldn't blame anyone swapping their phones out though if it bothers them. When I spend £780 on a phone I don't expect to live with defects regardless of size.

Sharpanator

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2014
Germany
Here is the supposed "issue"

The flashing pixels only occur in slo mo not in normal video, panorama or camera. That means in the MAJORITY of cases it is invisible

Slo-mo is meant to be shot with a proper source of light, an incandescent bulb is NOT a proper source of light for slo mo because the image is already very dark. Realistically you would never shoot with one minor source of light espeficially in slo mo

On some phones the slo mo shows those flashing pixels in no or low light, if it happens in medium to proper light THEN it's an issue that Apple can probably address. For example in the Apple Store they will test it in their store lighting which is good lighting, it will be hard for them to replace it there if they don't see it in slo mo there

A sensor is never 100 percent perfect, nothing is, especially those which don't have true low light high ISO ability which is truly only available in dslr or compact cameras or professional cameras. The high iso needs light especially in slo mo to function properly

http://mitchmartinez.com/a-few-notes-about-high-frame-rate-slow-motion/

If you dont have proper light , slo mo is useless , and with proper light this hot pixel is automatically mitigated and if it doesn't then you contact Apple and complain

Right now most is picking up straws, the pixels you see are the ones which are hot pixels not having any affect on video or picture or slo mo in proper light because those hot pixels in low light are only visible because you are individualized them in lower light (slowed down); when you have proper light , the surrounding pixels compensate and the hot pixel goes invisible to the naked eye

I would say the hot pixels are visbile everytime you are in the house and normal daylight coming trough the windows, you will see tiny grey dots in teh recorded video but those are harder to see. In the evening with bad lighting those pixels are more visible in your footage, a good example is the "pipe" video here.

cdesigns

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2008
NO dead pixels and pictures are sharp and perfect on my 6+

I did the test on slow motion and I cant see any dead pixels

Could it be the first batch they sold on apple stores snd carrier stores?

Mine was pre-ordered 6+ 64gb space gray, came directly from china on Sept 24th (out of contract) newer stock, cant recall the factory but the built date was early Sept.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 81

BigMar89

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Might not be related but anybody get greenish/whitish spots that seem to reflect off when in a dark area but light is hitting off the camera? Notice it in Photo mode.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 95

Sharpanator

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2014
Germany
NO dead pixels and pictures are sharp and perfect on my 6+

I did the test on slow motion and I cant see any dead pixels

Could it be the first batch they sold on apple stores snd carrier stores?

Mine was pre-ordered 6+ 64gb space gray, came directly from china on Sept 24th (out of contract) newer stock, cant recall the factory but the built date was early Sept.

nope, has nothing to do with the batch, every sensor has them. Your test was probably not correct because i can see only black which is not the way to test it. Put it to 120fps, set brightness to 75% and record a relatively dimm location, like a room with only one weak light bulb turned on and then point the camera around, in darker spots for example. Once you find the pixels you will see them also in daylight

Pluto88888

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2014
I think i will keep mine, its not worth the nerves to swap it out and get a worse one one with other failures. i probably will never use slow-mo function at all and i wont use it in low light. Every Iphone or every digital camera has those pixels but they appear in different iso levels, some earlier some later

Hello, My second replacement arrived today I notice two small bright light in slow-mo. (DARK ROOM ONLY) (WORKS FINE OUTSIDE WITH LIGHTS) (Going to keep this one everything works fine no dust under screen and dead/stuck pixels.)

I'm not going to do the swapping game again.

Last edited:

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014
Is it just a trait of Apple users or all tech people to try to use a product in the most extreme possible way in the search for defects? It's like people here aren't happy until they find something wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.