Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
mrichmon said:
I've had a similar problem with one of my previous iPods. I had success in reviving it by re-writing the partition table with a Windows partition table (using "fdisk /mbr" on a windows machine). I then formated the iPod using FAT 32 before unmounting the iPod hooking it up to a Mac and letting the iPod updater reformat the thing with a Mac filesystem.

All this took a bit of time since it involves reformatting the thing a couple of times but at this stage you have nothing to loose.

OK, I'll try that. Believe or not, I don't know anyone handy with a PC so may have to flutter my eyelashes at one of the IT guys at the office. :D

Thanks for the suggestion — as you say, nothing to lose. :)

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
The same thing happened to my 60 gig iPod. I tried the same things as you but nothing worked.

Then I bought a Nano but got bored only carrying a few hundred songs so I erased with disk utility again and restored. Amazingly, it worked! It was sitting on my desk for a good few weeks with no power. :confused:

I think I'm going to get a 5th gen soon. I'd sell you my 60gig for cheap but it has the piano note distortion thing/static when accessing the drive. All the more reason to upgrade. :mad:

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Ohhh :( sorry to hear about your iPod. I've got the same one and mine broke 5 months after I bought it. I had it replaced with a brand new one under warranty... which is why I then took out the extended Apple Care.

I got mine from Cancom on Kensington High Street - they're an authorised Apple reseller - it might be worth giving them a call to find out if they do out-of-warranty repairs and/or spare parts, or they might be able to point you in the right direction.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
dietcokevanilla said:
I got mine from Cancom on Kensington High Street - they're an authorised Apple reseller - it might be worth giving them a call to find out if they do out-of-warranty repairs and/or spare parts, or they might be able to point you in the right direction.

Know it well, on my way up to High St. Ken in an hour or so. ;)

But they're on my boycott list along with Micro Anvika. :D

No, I'll try the Windows-formatting thang and then if that doesn't work, I'll buy a new Toshiba 1.8" drive for it and install it myself. Lau assures me it's easy-peasy. :)

L

Lau

Blue Velvet said:
I'll try the Windows-formatting thang and then if that doesn't work, I'll buy a new Toshiba 1.8" drive for it and install it myself. Lau assures me it's easy-peasy. :)

It is! I promise. Though I accept no responsibility if it all goes Pete Tong....:D

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2003
Honolulu
Put it in the Freezer.

My 40Gig 4G ipod had the same problem in August of this year. The real sad thing is it first exhibited HD problems just a week out of warranty!!

I read elsewhere that freezing a HD can bring them back to life (google search it) and it really did work up until today. Albeit I had to do about 3-4 system restores in the past four months and it has been frozen on 3 occasions to get it up and running again. I know it sounds silly but it worked for the past 4 months.

Today though my ipod is dead for good. Freezing doesn't work anymore and i can't even get it to mount all I get is the Apple Logo and Constant clicking and whirring if I'm lucky I can get to the exclamation folder.

I have sent an email to ipodresq.com to see how much they will give me for it (they buy broken ipods) since I don't feel like spending almost $200 for a new 40Gig drive. I'll be happy if they give me at least $50 if not ebay will be my next bet.

edit: oh yeah don't forget to put it in a Ziplock bag and let condensation evaporate before pluging it in.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
you only unmounted improperly once and it craps out on you? ouch.. i remember forgetting to unmount my 3g and it worked like a charm a bunch of times despite the error message display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.