Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thepominlaw

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Hi all just bought and setup a Zyxel 310S my first NAS ever. Bought it to use with my rMBP.

Coulple of questions to anyone that has had one.

I have about 250Gb of my home movie collection i ripped, via the mac and wifi its estimating about 4 hours to copy the files onto the server and thats just for 11 movies in total there are about 200! What can i do to make it go faster? Should i buy a ethernet adapter for my mac and connect it directly to the router?

Also how do i back up the NAS its not obvious, i have an external 1Tb HDD but have not idea what to do.

Thanks

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Using wired ethernet would be a little faster, but that NAS may also be a little slow.

Most NAS's admin software has a built in backup process you can set up, dunno about your model. Otherwise you could use something like Carbon Copy Cloner or just copy the files manually.

eduardrw

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2013
Use ethernet to the rMB or put the rMB as close as possible to the router (I assume you have at least a "N" capable router) to maximize throughput.

thepominlaw

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Yes it's a TP Link 300 N router.

Will upgrade eventually to AC but for now this will have to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.