Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

picabloo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
Toronto
Hello all,

I got my iPhone 4S for Christmas (2011) so it's about 1.5 months old now.

I love the alarm feature, as I use it often, and usually activate it by Siri. Everything worked great, until a couple days ago. I did my usual routine... before bed I told Siri to set an alarm, and plugged it in to recharge overnight.

Except this time, it didn't wake me up the next morning. I woke up late only to find my phone was off. Not only was it off, but when I turned it back on the battery was still at 20% (from the night before).

Before yesterday I made sure to restart both my iPhone and Macbook in hopes it would solve the problem.

This morning, I woke up late to find that my iPhone was again turned off (I turn it on by holding the sleep button, then Apple logo shows up). Only this time, it DID fully charge to 100%.

Has this every happened to you guys? I havn't been able to find anything in the forums other than the issues with iPhones turning off randomly during the day, but this is a different issue. It does not turn off during the day, only at night while it's charging. Should I contact Apple?

Things I havn't tried yet:
Switching the USB cable

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
Did you find any information about this? It happened to me too.

I had it plugged in last night charging all fine.... this morning the screen was black, switch it on and the battery is still at ~29% very odd.

A search seems that a full restore helps some, others exchange at genius bar.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
Never had this problem with any iPhone.

What is the point in replying with that? what a waste of space and time!

OP: i have been reading these boards https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3404650?start=0&tstart=0 I also took my iPhone to the 'Genius' and he just wiped it and restored it.... ugh! great, they said if it happens again they will replace the phone.

This is really annoying as i missed alarms and calls last night due to this issue.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
I recommend springing the minor bucks for the app Night Stand. I've used it very successfully - including the alarm. Not sure why the stock Clock app wouldn't be working for you, but I know this one does.

One thing about the non-charge issue - make SURE the plug is fully pushed in to the outlet and pushed all the way into the port on the iPhone. I had this happen early on and it turned out that the charging cable was loose in the outlet.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
A 'App' won't help at all.

1) The phone is plugged in completely (UK plugs are much more robust).
2) The phone starts charging
3) Wake up, and the phone is DEAD, i.e. unresponsive - don't think anywhere anyone mentioned the 'clock app'
4) Turn it back on, and it's not charged the battery at all.

I ended up doing a full reset in store, it did the same thing again... took it back and they replaced the phone.

Blodgett5

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2012
Any resolution

This is the only forum I've found that actually addresses the problem I now encounter. Has there been any resolution other than eventually getting a new phone?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
On a day when ur at home, charge it during the day, wait 20 minutes and touch the phone, front and back, and note whether unusually warm/hot, if so the battery may needs replacing. Also try another charger, we all have back up chargers right? Right.

aceontech

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2014
Just had this happen to me with my 3-month-old iPhone 5C.

Plugged it in before bed as usual, battery level around 30%, and set my alarm. Alarm didn't go off in the morning (I overslept) and the phone was off. It looked like the battery had drained completely, because it wouldn't power on, even with the charging cable attached.

At work, I plugged the phone into the my MacBook. It didn't power on, nor did it look like it was charging. Holding down the power button and home button simultaneously made it come back to life - inexplicably. Battery level was at 89% and the device doesn't run hot while charging.

All is well again now, but I guess I'll set a backup alarm tonight and see what happens...

MacGir92

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2014
My iPhone 5c has done this twice in the last week. Phone has switched itself off over night whilst on charge. I have to hold down home and lock buttons until Apple logo appears but this sometimes takes a good 10 seconds. Alarm didn't go off, made me late for work, and taught me not to rely on tech so I bought a good old fashioned alarm clock.

Does anybody know what causes this or what I can do to fix this? My phone is only just over a month old and being a young female living on my own I can't not have a working phone :(

What can I do??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.