Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I only need a case to protect from day to day wear and tear - not for drop protection etc (I hope!). Do both the leather and the silicon cases have a microfibre inner lining, or is that just the leather case??
I dont like most cases since you get dust and lint which ends up scratching the phone up! Leaning towards a silicon case but not sure if it has the microfibre inner lining?

EDIT: Just noticed on the Apple site that they both have microfibre interiors ;)

Anyone have any pics of the silicon case?

Last edited:

Glene

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2014
Ft Lauderdale
I own both, in this product run apple got it right, both are nice, if you are looking for durability, the silicon will win.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Thanks. Ordered the black and the blue silicon cases from Apple. Now just need to wait until they're in stock again!!

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
My local store had both in stock today. I picked up the "black" silicone case. Turns out it is more dark grey than black. I may return it for the black leather. As soon as it went in my pocket it was like a magnet for lint.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
My local store had both in stock today. I picked up the "black" silicone case. Turns out it is more dark grey than black. I may return it for the black leather. As soon as it went in my pocket it was like a magnet for lint.

This seems to be the general complaint with the silicon cases. Makes me wonder whether I should have gone for the leather after all......

shr631

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
This seems to be the general complaint with the silicon cases. Makes me wonder whether I should have gone for the leather after all......

Common complaint re the lint or the color? It's definitely not black (not sure what's happening in Apple's "what color is this?" division). The black seems to attract more lint than the red silicone case...although maybe lint is just more noticeable on a dark color. Deciding between midnight blue leather and "black" silicone

AuroraProject

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2008
Right there
I had the red leather case for the 6+, I returned it today because the paper thin leather started peeling off on one of the corners, this was after 7 days of use. I picked up the black & red silicone covers instead. We'll see how these hold up.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
I am either going to go with the black leather or the green silicone. Trying to decide on being "tame" or "wild" with the case color haha.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I am either going to go with the black leather or the green silicone. Trying to decide on being "tame" or "wild" with the case color haha.
I've got the green silicon, and really like it. Any lint has come off easy, and it didn't seem to have any after living in my pocket 5.5 hours at work today.

I still wish they'd had the red in stock, but the green is great!!!

neoJeets

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2014
I had the Silicone in Black (looks dark grey in person) and returned it because it was a lint magnet, more so than any other soft feel case I've owned. Every time out of the pocket there was a noticeable amount of dust and lint on it that even others noticed when they asked to look at my phone. I even tried to make sure my pockets were as clean as I could get them but it didn't matter, so I returned it.

The best parts of the case were the nice microfiber lining inside and the very nice tight fit to the iPhone itself.

Got a bunch of other cases already on their way in the mail so I'm sure I'll find one that works. One is an Incipio Feather that I'm looking forward to trying out. I had a nice soft grippy Feather on my last phone for 3 years straight and never had that lint issue.

hachyderm

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
Picked up the silicone case today. Really like it. Perfect for getting better grip on the 6 plus. Got the black (grey) with the space grey. Looks very sharp.

shr631

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
decided to go with "black" silicone (aka "gray" in real life). Midnight blue leather is beautiful, and is thinner than silicone. But in the end, the fit of silicone is better, it's grippier, it tends not to slide around on various surfaces, and seems to have fared better in drop tests, which are admittedly not scientific.

I'll live with the lint thing and will probably switch out in 6-9 months anyway. Either leather or silicone will be great though, for anyone still deciding :cool:

zea mays

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
I have the pink on silver phone and DH has red on space grey. Love them both!

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
the sides of the leather one have no microfiber lining, but the sides of the silicone do. not sure why they both arent the same inside but just fyi

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Thanks for all the info guys.
I ordered the black and blue silicon cases, although I'm now considering cancelling the black for a red instead, considering the dust etc shows up much easier on the black! That would bug me!

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Returned the midnight blue leather case I ordered online to my local Apple store yesterday and picked up a white silicone case they had in stock.

The leather didn't fit my iPhone 6 as well as the previous leather case fit my 5s. It was a little loose on the sides of the 6, and I could feel it slip every once in a while -- very annoying.

The silicone seems like a tighter fit, and as others have said has a bit more grip to it.

I think the white case looks great on the white phone, and it give it a very cool look.

I was a bit annoyed that the silicone white case I ordered from Apple during preorder on 9/12 was still showing a mid-October delivery date while the Apple Store had about 20 of them in stock along the wall.

Anya B

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2013
I have the white silicone on the silver and although I like the look it makes the phone feel massive. I now have the olive leather and love it, maybe its because the leather is thinner.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
I had the Silicone in Black (looks dark grey in person) and returned it because it was a lint magnet, more so than any other soft feel case I've owned. Every time out of the pocket there was a noticeable amount of dust and lint on it that even others noticed when they asked to look at my phone. I even tried to make sure my pockets were as clean as I could get them but it didn't matter, so I returned it.

The best parts of the case were the nice microfiber lining inside and the very nice tight fit to the iPhone itself.

Got a bunch of other cases already on their way in the mail so I'm sure I'll find one that works. One is an Incipio Feather that I'm looking forward to trying out. I had a nice soft grippy Feather on my last phone for 3 years straight and never had that lint issue.

When you receive the feather would you mind letting us know if it blocks the curved edges by creating a hard stop when swiping? I'm assuming it does because it needs something to latch onto but I'm hoping not.

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Thanks for all the info guys.
I ordered the black and blue silicon cases, although I'm now considering cancelling the black for a red instead, considering the dust etc shows up much easier on the black! That would bug me!

Just so you know - I would keep at least one black. I got the red then returned for black. It just didn't look natural with the interface. If you're getting two colours get one black I think.

neoJeets

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2014
When you receive the feather would you mind letting us know if it blocks the curved edges by creating a hard stop when swiping? I'm assuming it does because it needs something to latch onto but I'm hoping not.

Yeah, I will. From the pictures it looks like the Feather's edges lay below the level of the front panel as it does with previous versions of the Feather. But with the curved edges of the new iPhone I'm curious to see how the case secures to the phone.

AuroraProject

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2008
Right there
Returned the midnight blue leather case I ordered online to my local Apple store yesterday and picked up a white silicone case they had in stock.

The leather didn't fit my iPhone 6 as well as the previous leather case fit my 5s. It was a little loose on the sides of the 6, and I could feel it slip every once in a while -- very annoying.

The silicone seems like a tighter fit, and as others have said has a bit more grip to it.

I think the white case looks great on the white phone, and it give it a very cool look.

I was a bit annoyed that the silicone white case I ordered from Apple during preorder on 9/12 was still showing a mid-October delivery date while the Apple Store had about 20 of them in stock along the wall.

The white one does look good, I'm considering one myself. My only concern is cleaning it, as I'm sure it'll get dirty quick!

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
The white one does look good, I'm considering one myself. My only concern is cleaning it, as I'm sure it'll get dirty quick!

I tried to look for comments about the 5c cases being difficult to clean since the silicone seems to be the same. I haven't really found any complaints about cleaning online, and it certainly will be easier to keep fresh looking than the leather.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
I returned the dark grey silicone for both the green silicone and the black leather. I couldn't make up my mind :)

I will say the silicone feels better after a day or two of use. It doesn't feel as sticky and doesn't attract lint as much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.