Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bs0604

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2014
will a top of the line macbook air be able to handle photoshop or do I need to get a macbook pro? The air would be preferable for travel purposes

joshlalonde

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2014
Canada
Maxed out MacBook Air is a good idea.
8GB RAM for dealing with large pictures, multiple pictures, programs
i7 for boost in speed to get things done fast.
More disk space so you don't need to bring a external drive with you everywhere. Just get a thunderbolt 1TB drive and store all your finished files there.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Maxed out MacBook Air is a good idea.
8GB RAM for dealing with large pictures, multiple pictures, programs
i7 for boost in speed to get things done fast.
More disk space so you don't need to bring a external drive with you everywhere. Just get a thunderbolt 1TB drive and store all your finished files there.

I use Photoshop all the time with my base model 2014 11". Works fine. Depends on what size files you're working with, how many files, and what filters you're using.

joshlalonde

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2014
Canada
I use Photoshop all the time with my base model 2014 11". Works fine. Depends on what size files you're working with, how many files, and what filters you're using.

Ya, it's not necessary to have a maxed out Air. But I assume that if he's willing to pay for a Pro, then he'd be okay paying about the same price for a Air. And it's also going to perform noticeably better in some aspects. And he has the option to work with larger files if he needs to. Not saying you can't on a base Air (I'm an advocate for getting the base vs getting maxed), but I think this suits his workflow a bit better. You want the best tool possible for the job, right?

bs0604

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2014
thanks

thanks for the replies. Makes me feel more secure about getting the air.
My photo files are up to about 120 MB
I use Topaz and Nik filters plug ins if that makes a difference.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
will a top of the line macbook air be able to handle photoshop or do I need to get a macbook pro? The air would be preferable for travel purposes

You can run Photoshop on any Mac that is even a few years old just fine.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
thanks for the replies. Makes me feel more secure about getting the air.
My photo files are up to about 120 MB
I use Topaz and Nik filters plug ins if that makes a difference.

Hmm, I assume you mean your Photoshop files (with all the layers and whatnot) are 120MB and not the photos themselves... those would be some huge photos.

I don't have experience working with files that big but this site seems to indicate that it's a good idea to have 5-8x as much memory available as the file size itself. 120MB x 8 = ~1GB. So I think a machine with 4GB of RAM should be able to handle this fairly comfortably.

http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/article.aspx?p=2115887&seqNum=2

bs0604

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2014
file size

yes, the final file size after combining all the layers is up to 120 MB. (my biggest has been 123 MB). Most are smaller.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.