Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matjamca

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
St Helens, Merseyside, England
Hi there,

I have an iPhone 6 Plus (64GB White/Silver). I also have the new Time Capsule with 802.11ac functionality.

The problem is, I don't know if my iPhone 6 Plus is using the 802.11ac.

Here is my problem in detail...

My Wi-Fi connection on the iPhone 6 Plus seems laggy when loading webpages etc. The Wi-Fi seems no faster than my iPhone 5s which I had previously.

Doing a speedtest using Ookla Speedtest, I got the following results. I did the test twice within 5 minutes in the same room of my house.

The first test results were:
116.30 Mbps Download and 11.45 Mbps Upload

The second test results were:
30.15 Mbps Download and 11.48 Mbps Upload

My Internet connection is provided by Virgin Media in the UK and I have an (up to) 120Mbps Fibre Optic Broadband plan.

As you can see, the second test is significantly slower when compared with the first test. When randomly testing the connection speed, the speed often varies between the two but is at the slower speed quite often.

My questions are:

1) Is there a sure way of knowing my iPhone 6 Plus is using the 802.11ac connection on my Time Capsule? I haven't configured my Time Capsule, it 'just worked' out of the box after a few details were entered etc.

2) Could these results indicate a problem with my iPhone 6 Plus or Time Capsule? How can I be sure which is causing the problem? The iPhone 6 Plus is the only 802.11ac capable device I have.

3) Is anyone else having similar issues?

I appreciate any help you can offer :)

Matt

Abarth1200

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Apparently doing these speed tests bogs down the servers if you do them two in a row within a couple hours. Disregard the second test.

I certainly wouldn't complain with that 116 Mbps download speed. I'm lucky to get 30Mbps with bt infinity in Scotland.

matjamca

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
St Helens, Merseyside, England
Apparently doing these speed tests bogs down the servers if you do them two in a row within a couple hours. Disregard the second test.

I certainly wouldn't complain with that 116 Mbps download speed. I'm lucky to get 30Mbps with bt infinity in Scotland.

The problem is the speed isn't consistent. The phone does lag quite a bit. It seems really odd. With the 5s, the speed was more or less consistent - even repeating the speed tests. I've also had an issue where the phone lost the Wi-Fi connection all together.

Resetting network settings and iOS 8.0.2 hasn't improved matters either. I just don't know if the fault lies with the phone, or the Time Capsule.

lsmith9523

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014
Atlanta, GA
My iPhone 6 Plus keeps dropping Wifi signal within my home. All other phones have been able to connect and maintain wifi through out the house. I can walk over two rooms and my wifi will drop and data kicks in. The only way I can reconnect wifi, is to disconnect and reconnect. The signal will hold for awhile, but eventually it will drop again. I find myself checking my connect about every 10 minutes or so, making sure I am not cutting into my data..

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
Speedtest can be inconsistent, try a different location. It may have to be much further to get consistency. My iphone 6 AC connection works perfect with 8.0.2; upload was spotty on 8.0 but is solid now.

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
How do you know it is using 802.11ac? Is there a way to check/confirm?

I confirmed it by killing the 80mhz bandwidth and kicking all my other clients off. Even when it's on, it blends fine. we can only confirm this by viewing the connected mbps stream and on my asus, it showed 433/433 up/down connection. This in itself is not enough to tell you it's running ac, but according to an article I found, the iPhone is only capable of a single ac stream:

http://www.sniffwifi.com/2014/09/whats-new-and-missing-in-wifi-for.html

This basically means the max you can get out of it is 433, which is what my router is reflecting. I checked with my airport extreme as well and it provides about the same limited information that the Asus does. Asus has not added an AC only option as of my firmware.

To check, I had to see the wireless log on my Asus, or hold the option key while hitting edit on the airport utility for the airport extreme. I haven't found a way to test the transfer due to other hardware limitations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.