Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
LOL… some of the responses here are funny.

Don't get me wrong, I feel car monitors and life monitors to tell insurance companies anything is not my cup of tea. But the program here is no different than what my company currently offers. Get a "well health" check-up and get a rebate back on your paycheck. All at the employee's option… if you want the $500, you go see your doc and get a check-up. If not you don't. Same thing here.

However, the day they make this mandatory is the day I'm PO'd. As long as it's optional… have at it.

If this pisses you off at Apple, then you're going to be pissed at many of the high-tech companies. I'm sure anyone that makes a device with a health monitor will be jumping on this bandwagon. And besides… if they ever make this mandatory, get pissed at the government for allowing it and taking away your freedom of choice and freedom of life.

Helmlein

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2009
I am surprised by the amount of resistance people are putting up to this idea.

Second, yes - people who choose to cost less should pay less. Just like car insurance, just like life insurance, just like toll-roads. If I go to the gym every week instead of staying home smoking and watching t.v.,

Car insurance indeed already works this way: either pay full price, or "have our black box in your car and we charge you according to your driving style". What goes into their calculation you will never know, but you definitely owe them the money anyway because you signed the contract...

In the beginning they said "you will get a cheaper rate if you have our blackbox in your car".

Somehow I like the idea of purchasing an iWatch somewhere on vacation just to mess up all the data collection, but then again they might tie the iWatch to the iCloud account....

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
they don't make insurance cheaper, they create fake discounts.
They punish those who don't follow the rules that THEY set up. And they use any possible excuse not to pay when they should.
I eat a french fry, I have an unrelated heart attack... and they can avoid to pay for my cures.

It's very dangerous and intrusive.

and mind you. In 2009 a major insurance company wanted $900 a week (A WEEK!!!) because of a pre-existing condition. That's their mind-set, the last thing you want is for them to know what you do, because whatever you do, it won't be 100% healthy.

This shows how messed up the American healthcare system is. Hospital bills are incredibly expensive. Insurance bills are incredibly expensive. To top it all of, even if you have insurance, you still can still end up with a bill from the hospital.

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
I just got a full medical exam for professional reasons (professional diver) and I'm in excellent health (even though that effort test almost made me cry like a little girl). I appreciate good health, but I also know for a fact that ten or twenty years from now, my exams will start yielding lower scores, and if I were on such a health plan, I'd eventually stop doing that pedometer thing, at which point I'll start paying back those "discounts" they gave me earlier.

What I mean is, they make it look like it's a perk, but it's simply a trojan horse. The more data they have, the better they can adjust the stats, and the more people will get screwed eventually (it's just a matter of time, and when it comes, you'll pay those small yearly discounts manyfold). Again, an iPhone analogy: you don't get it for $0 because you're cute or a good cuatomer, you're just paying it by installments with overpriced contracts, and in the end the resulting price is higher than if it had been paid upfront.

There is no obligation to it, nor is it discussed in the pricing of the health plan. The health plan is not reduced by this. Statistically it pays the company back by less health related issues. These guys are not in it for my well being, you don't have to argue that point.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
This shows how messed up the American healthcare system is. Hospital bills are incredibly expensive. Insurance bills are incredibly expensive. To top it all of, even if you have insurance, you still can still end up with a bill from the hospital.

If you have insurance you WILL endup with a bill. there is no way around it. You'll just pay a "cheaper" bill.
Dunno, everyone I talk to seems happy about it.

eroyce

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2004
Minnesota (brrrr)
The problem is you will never save $20 - you will be told that IF you use this app and they can monitor your health you won't pay extra $20. That's the way it works. And once it's out there there's no way back - using the app will be obligatory IF you don't want to pay EXTRA. And as someone already mentioned - you won't care until you get older and/or your health get a little bit worse - then they will know that immediately and you'll start paying EXTRA.

We both agree that HealthKit could be used to change what you pay for insurance. The difference between how you see the issue and how I see it is that I see the integration with my insurance as a choice which would reduce my rates, you see it as mandatory if you don't want higher rates. This is just debating semantics, but the end result is that people who are taking steps to lead a healthier life are paying less because of it. This already happens all over the place (non-smoker discounts), and I am in favor of this type of model. The reason insurace companies like this is because research shows people who take track their health are healthier, and cost less, and live longer. Positive reinforcement of a healthy lifestype via a financial discount is very effective. Why would anyone be opposed to having technology that helps us lead healthier lives?

As for getting older and having to pay higher rates, they already know that you are getting older and will cost more, this is nothing new (the additional amount that you can be charged is defined by the law to limit the gouging). But again, healthcare technology being offered as an incentive to improve your health and reduce what you pay...why would you not take that opportunity (setting aside tinfoil hat reasons)?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Time to review what we've learned:

The article MR twisted up for their piece contains no evidence whatsoever that "Apple is in talks with insurance companies" for any partnerships of any kind. The source article is almost entirely about large employers working with their insurance companies to control their premiums. But by all means, continue to discuss what Apple's partnerships with insurance companies will mean to you and the world.

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
Get a job. Study hard in school. It's not that hard to make it in life. Heaven forbid people who come from war zones want a better life.

Yeah, I did all that, thanks for the great advice. My grandparents came over from (what is now) Russia right before the Communists took power with virtually nothing. No taxpayers were there paying for their every need. I have a little background to say what I want.

rish

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2006
London UK
Insurance...

...is the largest legalised con going. I would not allow any of data going to an insurance company. These organisations already leverage such significant power that the small cannot attest any wrong doing without the constant threat of financial ruin.

As it says in the small print " premiums can go up as well as down". Never go down they always go up. If rid myself of all Apple products if this is angle they're going to take. :mad:

Robin4

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
RTD-NC
I would think the Apple involvement is minimal when it comes to insurance company. The insurance questionnaire might ask "do you use any health apps on a regular basis?" Pretty much as they now asks do you smoke?

Spacewiz

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2014
Lake Arrowhead, CA
"...and you'll see why 1984, won't be like 1984."

Oh, what famous last words from a company I once, repeat once, revered as a model for all others. Let's all now take a bow to both the almighty dollar and to the almighty insurance companies who are continuously making small incremental attempts to control our lives under the transparent guise of bettering them.

Think about how the use of GPS started out for civilians, and think about the dystopian ways it is being used today. Get the idea?

Enough said. I just hope people wake up to this sooner rather than later.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Oh, what famous last words from a company I once, repeat once, revered as a model for all others. Let's all now take a bow to both the almighty dollar and to the almighty insurance companies who are continuously making small incremental attempts to control our lives under the transparent guise of bettering them.

Think about how the use of GPS started out for civilians, and think about the dystopian ways it is being used today. Get the idea?

Enough said. I just hope people wake up to this sooner rather than later.

The article MR twisted up for their piece contains no evidence whatsoever that "Apple is in talks with insurance companies" for any partnerships of any kind. The source article is almost entirely about large employers working with their insurance companies to control their premiums. But by all means, continue to discuss what Apple's partnerships with insurance companies will mean to you and the world.

Or, we could review what we haven't learned. That, obviously, would be much longer discussion.

yzp

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2007
Quebec
-EMF Alert -EMF Alert -EMF Alert -EMF Alert -EMF Alert-

you gotta think outside the box ...

its a threshold *****... once you've reached it you're doomed ... the problem is that more and more % of the pop is sedentary... and thus dont "clean" cells by sweating ..

however there's a couple of tricks you can do in order to prevent being intoxicated...

use wired connections, avoid using the cell (airplane mode or cut 3G at least)

of course, you should avoid heavy metals cause that changes a thing in your cells, which make your cells "feel" the EMFs... of course, you can also buy a water filter, and some vitamins/supplemeents/minerals... for examplee, get vitamin B, calcium, magnesium, manganese (if found), calcium and phosphorus...

however, be sure to get GOOD QUALITY vitamins and minerals, otherwise the end of taking such pills could threaten your health in other ways...

the most important point of all : have good sleep free of any EMFs... you can put different layers of foil on your rooms window if u got an electrical ***** near your bed !

it's freaking serious... but it's relatively easy to detox yourself...

bye

Last edited:

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
I work for a smaller, regional health insurance company, and this is definitely not a bad idea, but I see problems.

We have a similar deal with BodyFit media... but you have to use a Bodyfit media device. This is why the partnership and feature isn't very compelling or successful, and also why it would not be such a hot partnership for Apple and Insurance companies.

Granted, there are a lot more iPhone users thant Bodyfit users, but it still limits the user to having to have one kind of device.

Google is working on a similar initiative, and Android has a much much larger number of users.

I don't think direct partnerships with Apple or Google is where this is going to be at. A third party developer that creates an App that works with both IOS and Android and can sync data with Apple and Google's native apps is who will take the gold on this one.

Or.... Google would simply launch an IOS app (something Apple would never do on Android, but should start considering for odd things like this or iTunes) unless apple blocked it for "duplicating the functionality of IOS."

And most medical providers are adopting E-Record or compatible m-health standards that share medical data across carriers and health systems. Apple really needs to get on that train as well.

Robin4

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
RTD-NC
I work for a smaller, regional health insurance company, and this is definitely not a bad idea, but I see problems.

We have a similar deal with BodyFit media... but you have to use a Bodyfit media device. This is why the partnership and feature isn't very compelling or successful, and also why it would not be such a hot partnership for Apple and Insurance

And most medical providers are adopting E-Record or compatible m-health standards that share medical data across carriers and health systems. Apple really needs to get on that train as well.

You say BodyFit shares data with you, what kind of data?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Of course, we won't mention the rest of the world here, just the U.S

:/

So, as long as your in the U.S, you'll be covered....

I don't mind Apple doing their part, but lets make it global for heavens sake.

We can have fun too :)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

I still think it's possible Apple is working on health related wearable device(s) and will partner with insurance companies so consumers can get it at a discount.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I still think it's possible Apple is working on health related wearable device(s) and will partner with insurance companies so consumers can get it at a discount.

In the realm of anything being possible, I suppose. But consider the appeal of a concept that allows your insurance company to monitor your vital signs. Do you really think Apple would want to be associated with such an idea?

Zaphodsplanet

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2011
Texas
Are you ready for an iProbe?

But why? Not that you're wrong but at least tell us why lol

Give them an inch and they'll take 100 miles. This is way too invasive. It's like trying to setup a Faceplant account w/o providing how often you take a crap. If you want the government, or insurance companies monitoring your health signs, blood chemistry, or any other number of things 24/7 then by all means be subjugated to your hearts delight. I have about as much interest in this kind of technology as having a tooth drilled with no novocaine.

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
A iPhone compatible anal probe? That would be a great wearable for the Wall Street analysts. If you are bearish on apple, you get a shock, if bullish a puff of lavender.

Holy crap... this.cracked.me.UP!
If laughing is considered healthy and gives you discount, I just got a big one thanks to this. I'll share with you man.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.