Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macness

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Vancouver Canada
I tried the Apple leather case for a week and it's already showing signs of wear.
Thinking of going with a full clear wrap. The only thing I'm worried about is the camera and the camera bezel getting scratched. Who's going caseless?

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
Camera lens wont get scratched without extreme misuse as I believe it's made of sapphire.

Why not simply return the leather case and pick up an apple silicone case instead? As expensive as the 6+ is and as malleable as aluminum is I'd think twice before going caseless.

mr99

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2014
I tried the Apple leather case for a week and it's already showing signs of wear.
Thinking of going with a full clear wrap. The only thing I'm worried about is the camera and the camera bezel getting scratched. Who's going caseless?

Which color did you have? Consider selling?

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
I've gone without a case for every iPhone since the 3GS, but I decided to get the Apple silicone case for my 6+ because it is so slippery and awkward to use without one. The case makes the 6+ even better IMO.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
The only issue going without a case on the plus is that it feels slippery in hand. The Apple leather case, really added grip

jod1921

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
Go to Best Buy and get a 14.99 soft clear case . They're cheap thin and and see thru.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012

Camera lens is basically unscratchable, its covered in sapphire, that is a 9 out of 10 on Moh's hardness scale, only diamond and very specific other minerals can scratch the lens, so so much more durable then phones with no sapphire cover lens

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
The only issue going without a case on the plus is that it feels slippery in hand. The Apple leather case, really added grip

I feel like i can grip my 6 very solidly and hold it in hand better then the 5S/5, the tapered edges allows me to grip the phone very firmly and nicely, and if your hands are even a tiny bit hot, or clammy as they say, it adds a tiny bit extra grip to the surface of the naked phone, i actually think these new iPhones are a little easier to hold in hand and will remain in hand easier then past iPhones(although i have just the 6 and not the Plus, but id imagine itd be the same, just bigger)

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
I always use a case. That is why I have never damaged a smartphone in like 6 years. It's always the people I pass them onto that tear them up. Usually, without a case.

CelestialToys

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2013
up above the streets and houses
I feel like i can grip my 6 very solidly and hold it in hand better then the 5S/5, the tapered edges allows me to grip the phone very firmly and nicely, and if your hands are even a tiny bit hot, or clammy as they say, it adds a tiny bit extra grip to the surface of the naked phone, i actually think these new iPhones are a little easier to hold in hand and will remain in hand easier then past iPhones(although i have just the 6 and not the Plus, but id imagine itd be the same, just bigger)

I have fairly small hands which makes the 6 plus more difficult to grip in comparison to my old 5 or the 6. The slipperiness of the 6plus without a case makes it unusable in one hand mode for me, I'm pretty sure a case will enable me to wield it one handed with ease.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I wanted to go caseless but with the camera protruding I'm going with an apple leather midnight blue case and a Spigen case armor

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Not me! Always a case! If you don't use a case then you will not be able to sell your phone next year. Nobody wants to buy a used scratched up iPhone. The new iPhone is an investment, protect it. In my mind, those of you that don't put your new iPhone 6/6 plus in a case tells me that you are more concerned about showing off and trying to impress others who haven't upgraded yet. Not all of you, but many...

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005

This is what I went with. Was $9 at the time but perfect fit, minimal, and provides some protection. I'd probably wait till it went back down in price, but it's a great case

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M3QA932/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_kwFkub1FZ0FG1

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Haven't used cases in quite a while. But the 6+ IMO is better in the apple leather case. It looks great, feels great and allows me peace of mind to lay it on a table or exercise machine face up or face down. The plus is big and slippery and for the first time in years I'm enjoying a case.

ApplePhy

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2013
IMO using the 6+ without a case is infinitely better than without. It just is. No matter HOW THIN the case is, the feeling isn't the same.

If you want to really appreciate the sleek design, thin form factor then you need to go careless. It really makes the 6+ manageable, thanks to the thin design.

But I'm really careful with my iphones, and have never cracked a screen or caused any major damage (knocking on wood). Also bought AppleCare + this time around.

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012

Why not? I never use a case. I don't plan to when I get a plus. Can't find one now. Cases are a scam, cause most people think they protect the screen -news flash - they don't. Who cares if you get a blemish on the back?

TRC-WA

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
Not me! Always a case! If you don't use a case then you will not be able to sell your phone next year. Nobody wants to buy a used scratched up iPhone. The new iPhone is an investment, protect it. In my mind, those of you that don't put your new iPhone 6/6 plus in a case tells me that you are more concerned about showing off and trying to impress others who haven't upgraded yet. Not all of you, but many...

Quoted for truth.

ApplePhy

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2013

Wrong. Gazelle (among a slew of others ) will absolutely buy your phone (yes---even dinged up and scratched. Same price as a near flawless phone, in fact.). Some dings and scratches will not affect the selling price AT ALL.

Going casales: It's not about showing off, it's about form factor. Adding a case really does add bulk to an already HUGE phone.

Last edited:

dumaz

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2011

An investment? It's a phone. Not a house or stocks. No case=showing off??? You funny. Crazy talk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.