Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Real or fake

• Real

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • Fake

Votes: 11 34.4%

• Total voters

ZhenyaF

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Hey guys. A friend of mine received a check for an apple warranty settlement, regarding water damage. The letter references applewarrantysettlement.com. From the research I've been doing, everything looks legitimate, except for the fact that it was settled in 2013. The check is for $250.

What's your opinion - real or fake?

She does not remember putting her name down on the settlement website, however she did have a phone that Apple refused to repair

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
She does not remember putting her name down on the settlement website, however she did have a phone that Apple refused to repair
For class action lawsuits, in general, I think you're opt-in by default and you only need to visit the website if you want to opt-out. If this is with regards to phones with no water damage where the sensor was tripped (likely due to high humidity), then yes, I do believe it's valid.

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
Hey guys. A friend of mine received a check for an apple warranty settlement, regarding water damage. The letter references applewarrantysettlement.com. From the research I've been doing, everything looks legitimate, except for the fact that it was settled in 2013. The check is for $250.

What's your opinion - real or fake?

It is real. I looked up the case on PACER (Federal Courts).

GUfzSpE.jpg

----------

For class action lawsuits, in general, I think you're opt-in by default and you only need to visit the website if you want to opt-out. If this is with regards to phones with no water damage where the sensor was tripped (likely due to high humidity), then yes, I do believe it's valid.

It varies.

From the OP's case

IPxiCRr.jpg

eta: Cash the check

9to5mac article.

All of the court documents are available on the settlement site.

Someone really believes this to be fake? lol...

ZhenyaF

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
It is real. I looked up the case on PACER (Federal Courts).

----------

It varies.

From the OP's case

eta: Cash the check

9to5mac article.

All of the court documents are available on the settlement site.

Someone really believes this to be fake? lol...

Thanks for the info
It's not everyday that you get a settlement check for $250, especially with all the scams going on

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
Thanks for the info
It's not everyday that you get a settlement check for $250, especially with all the scams going on

This is why she didn't have to provide any information, they already had it.

During the process of the class action suit, Apple had to turn over information involving repairs, refunds, and denials.

Tell her to enjoy!

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
I received a check for $251 or something. I had a couple of iPhones, 3GS I think and one other, that I had to pay the out of warranty cost on because they said it had water damage. The check was not the first notice thoug, I've received letters and emails regarding this for some time now.

trigf

Suspended
Jun 16, 2009
I received a check for $251.something today. I csn post a pic if you're still doubtful.

Mine was an IPhone 3G that had a faulty GPS chip. They refused to even look at it, because the external liquid indicator was tripped.

KAMB

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2013
Connecticut
Got a check in the mail also; called Apple and they told me that it looks to be a scam as they don't have anything mentioning it on their internal feeds.

Can anyone confirm that their has been no fishy activity after cashing?

shabanggg

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2014
Got a check in the mail also; called Apple and they told me that it looks to be a scam as they don't have anything mentioning it on their internal feeds.

Can anyone confirm that their has been no fishy activity after cashing?
Wow, you people are sad! It's real! This is a settlement from apple since they refused to repair items under warranty. I got 2 checks, 1 for $251.55 and the other for $122.85! This is legit and real! Deadline to file a claim was October 2013! Enjoy free money!

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
Wow, you people are sad!

Very poor, ignorant, and rude comment. There are tons of scams out there and I don't blame anyone for wanting to make sure it's legit before depositing a check and risking a return item fee from the bank if it's not valid.

But, for those asking, I deposited mine and so far it has not been returned.

shabanggg

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2014
Very poor, ignorant, and rude comment. There are tons of scams out there and I don't blame anyone for wanting to make sure it's legit before depositing a check and risking a return item fee from the bank if it's not valid.

No, it's not. If my not including you in the "sad group" for your ignorance. If you don't know how to tell if a check is real you have no business even handling money . do you understand? Or do I need to type it again?

Also, if you don't know how to do a simple Google s arch to verify a settlement the next your have no business in a computer...

In addition to, the best place OP coulf find was a forum?? To ask if the check he got was real, LOL are you kidding me??

Now this...is the definition of Sad!

----------

So let me get this straight..you deposited a real check..and it hadn't been returned yet???? Roflmaocopter!! Wowzers...are yall seeing what this kid wrote?? "so far it has not been returned" lol - that's because it's a real check from a real settlement!!!! :shakes head: #isthisforreal #bornyestersay

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
No, it's not. If my not including you in the "sad group" for your ignorance. If you don't know how to tell if a check is real you have no business even handling money . do you understand? Or do I need to type it again?

Also, if you don't know how to do a simple Google s arch to verify a settlement the next your have no business in a computer...

In addition to, the best place OP coulf find was a forum?? To ask if the check he got was real, LOL are you kidding me??

Now this...is the definition of Sad!

There is no way by looking at a check to tell if it's valid. And seeing how this forum is on the Internet, it appears that's exactly what everyone is doing, is verifying the check with others who likely received the same check.

I work for a bank, I deal with fraud on a regular basis, so I know that I would never just go and deposit a check because it has my name on it and it has a routing and account number on it too:confused:.

shabanggg

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2014
There is no way be looking at a check to tell if it's valid. And seeing how this forum is on the Internet, it appears that's exactly what everyone is doing, is verifying the check with others who likely received the same check.

I work for a bank, I deal with fraud on a regular basis, so I know that I would never just go and deposit a check because it has my name on it and it has a routing and account number on it too:confused:.
OK but it came with paperwork..it wasn't just a check in an envelope from Nigeria like you guys are making it sound like. If OP only read the paper it came with and used his common sense then he wouldn't need to make a thread. I mean this is just ridiculous. Take it to a bank and ask for crying for out loud. Don't ask people In the iPhone forums if a check you got is real. That's just silly.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
OK but it came with paperwork..it wasn't just a check in an envelope from Nigeria like you guys are making it sound like. If OP only read the paper it came with and used his common sense then he wouldn't need to make a thread. I mean this is just ridiculous. Take it to a bank and ask for crying for out loud. Don't ask people In the iPhone forums if a check you got is real. That's just silly.

Your bank is not going to be able to tell you it's real, this forum, with thousands of people who likely have iPhones is a good place to ask.

But maybe your right, all fake checks must come with a letter stating that it's fake, since this one didn't it must be valid.

KAMB

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2013
Connecticut
Wow, you people are sad! It's real! This is a settlement from apple since they refused to repair items under warranty. I got 2 checks, 1 for $251.55 and the other for $122.85! This is legit and real! Deadline to file a claim was October 2013! Enjoy free money!

Ok well it is a legitimate question seeing as how I called Apple directly and was told that they have no internal memos or any knowledge regarding any check distributions for any settlements.

shabanggg

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2014
Ok well it is a legitimate question seeing as how I called Apple directly and was told that they have no internal memos or any knowledge regarding any check distributions for any settlements.

some random run of the mill employee wouldn't know..why would they have internal memos given' out to the apple employees telling them that settlement checks have been sent out? lol it has nothing do with them. Call your brank bruh if anything..bring the check to your bank..don't ask a stupid question like that on the iphone forums..that's just ridiculous...

Last edited by a moderator:

KAMB

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2013
Connecticut
applewarrantysettlement

some random run of the mill employee wouldn't know..why would they have internal memos given' out to the apple employees telling them that settlement checks have been sent out? lol it has nothing do with them. Call your brank bruh if anything..bring the check to your bank..don't ask a stupid question like that on the iphone forums..that's just ridiculous...

Ok I already called the bank also and was told to contact Apple which I had contacted the bank first.

I have a right to ask what ever questions id like. If you don't like the question the don't answer it your opinion means nothing to me unless it's constructive which it isn't thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
I wish I had gotten in on this. I have had every iPhone, and basically just did not take my phones in to try to get them fixed, because I knew they would be denied because of the water sensors. In hindsight, I guess I should have taken at least one in and had it officially diagnosed with the red sensor issue (I could always see the red dot inside the earphone jack within a couple weeks of getting each phone). Oh well, live and learn.

StalkyMan

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2014

I deposited my check. I remember having a long talk with a genius bar manager about high humidity inside pockets of business people running through airports.

The most i've ever seen for a class action is less than $5 each for the class, and millions for the lawyers.

KAMB

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2013
Connecticut
Well went to go cash the check today; was told by the teller that she has seen 3 of them already this week.

Ran into an issue though; apparently my check which I had in hand had already been cashed.... Got some help and called the number listed on the check and it showed it was cashed on their end also. No one knows what's going on; I will be receiving a call in 3 business days regarding this issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.