Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CarRamRod

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
Hey all....

I pre-ordered and received a Sprint Iphone 6+ on launch day. It's never been activated, and it's currently sitting, still sealed in the apple white box (only UPS shipping box was opened).

Was just about to open it when I realized that it was silly having such an awesome phone with such crappy, slow data service--sorta like having a sick Porsche that can only go 20 mph.

So I decided a couple days ago that I am switching carriers as there's no use in having my first 4g LTE phone if the speeds are going to suck.

I believe that despite not activating the phone, having purchased at the subsidized cost *automatically* renews my contract. (Is this correct?) Not a big deal since I was planning on going to T-mobile who pays ETF fees.

So I'm wondering if I can sell my unopened Sprint iphone. I'm just worried that the phone may not work for another buyer since technically sprint knows my account should be associated with that particular iphone serial/ID. Again I have not activated it and when I log in to my sprint account, my old phone (iphone 4s) is the one still registered and acknowledged.

*KID*

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Boston, MA
Why not just return it? Then you'll be put back to what you were before. If that was out of contract then just switch to T mobile.

You may want to try their week test run before switching to make sure you like their coverage. Their coverage sucks where I am but Sprints I get signal even in the boonies. Their LTE is OK in my area - hit n miss ranging from a slow 2 to a high 27M download. Higher LTE speeds don't mean anything when you can't get service... Good luck!

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014
Hey all....

I pre-ordered and received a Sprint Iphone 6+ on launch day. It's never been activated, and it's currently sitting, still sealed in the apple white box (only UPS shipping box was opened).

Was just about to open it when I realized that it was silly having such an awesome phone with such crappy, slow data service--sorta like having a sick Porsche that can only go 20 mph.

So I decided a couple days ago that I am switching carriers as there's no use in having my first 4g LTE phone if the speeds are going to suck.

I believe that despite not activating the phone, having purchased at the subsidized cost *automatically* renews my contract. (Is this correct?) Not a big deal since I was planning on going to T-mobile who pays ETF fees.

So I'm wondering if I can sell my unopened Sprint iphone. I'm just worried that the phone may not work for another buyer since technically sprint knows my account should be associated with that particular iphone serial/ID. Again I have not activated it and when I log in to my sprint account, my old phone (iphone 4s) is the one still registered and acknowledged.

Read the fine print in the t mobile deal. I doubt it works quite as you describe. They probably have a limit to the amount they'll pay or they'll require you to turn in your old phone or something.

CarRamRod

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
Why not just return it? Then you'll be put back to what you were before. If that was out of contract then just switch to T mobile.

You may want to try their week test run before switching to make sure you like their coverage. Their coverage sucks where I am but Sprints I get signal even in the boonies. Their LTE is OK in my area - hit n miss ranging from a slow 2 to a high 27M download. Higher LTE speeds don't mean anything when you can't get service... Good luck!

I'm the exact opposite. :) In LA, sprint data speeds are just horrible, but T-mobile is generally excellent. Funny, similar to what I said to myself, "Unlimited datat w sprint is meaningless if the speeds are crap."

Read the fine print in the t mobile deal. I doubt it works quite as you describe. They probably have a limit to the amount they'll pay or they'll require you to turn in your old phone or something.

Do you have another smartphone to turn in to T-Mobile in order for them to pay your etf?

Yes, the limit for how much ETF T-Mobile will pay is $350. But it is conditional upon fulfilling two criteria:
1) Turn in your old phone to them for a credit -- no prob since I'll be giving them my Iphone 4S
2) You must buy a device directly from T-Mobile

So I'm really covered on this end. More than anything I'm worried that if I sell my Sprint Iphone 6+, they will lock the phone/ESN after I cancel service with them preventing the new owner from activating. Can you guys shed any light on this?

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
It is funny that while Verizon, att, and tmobile phone go for above retail during new iphone releases, Sprint sells for under retail.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I'm the exact opposite. :) In LA, sprint data speeds are just horrible, but T-mobile is generally excellent. Funny, similar to what I said to myself, "Unlimited datat w sprint is meaningless if the speeds are crap."

Yes, the limit for how much ETF T-Mobile will pay is $350. But it is conditional upon fulfilling two criteria:
1) Turn in your old phone to them for a credit -- no prob since I'll be giving them my Iphone 4S

So I'm really covered on this end. More than anything I'm worried that if I sell my Sprint Iphone 6+, they will lock the phone/ESN after I cancel service with them preventing the new owner from activating. Can you guys shed any light on this?

They will only blacklist it if you dont pay.
If you pay all your fee's, final bill and etf in full they will not blacklist the phones.

ELPresidente720

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014

T-mobile just wants your phone and your final bill in order to make the switch the painless way. They don't care if Sprint locks out your phone or performs voodoo over it. If you sell your phone to a third party however they will not cover your ETF. It's an all or nothing deal. If you haven't activated the phone, return it to Sprint. You aren't going to come out ahead trying to resell it yourself.

I just switched from Sprint to T-Mobile and I'm happy as hell about it.

CarRamRod

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
They will only blacklist it if you dont pay.
If you pay all your fee's, final bill and etf in full they will not blacklist the phones.

Thanks Applejuiced; this is good news. I guess I'm more concerned about timing...let me explain.

T-mobile store said not to actually cancel with Sprint. They said to come into the store, buy a phone and they will port my number over and i didn't have to get involved with sprint at all.

This effectively cancels the policy at which point Sprint would then send me a bill for $350 ETF. I'm assuming you mean the ESN would then only be locked IF I DON'T PAY the $350 once I receive the final bill. I'm more afraid that Sprint might lock the new Iphone 6 ESN once they see that I technically have a balance of $350 even before I get a final bill and a chance to pay it.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Thanks Applejuiced; this is good news. I guess I'm more concerned about timing...let me explain.

T-mobile store said not to actually cancel with Sprint. They said to come into the store, buy a phone and they will port my number over and i didn't have to get involved with sprint at all.

This effectively cancels the policy at which point Sprint would then send me a bill for $350 ETF. I'm assuming you mean the ESN would then only be locked IF I DON'T PAY the $350 once I receive the final bill. I'm more afraid that Sprint might lock the new Iphone 6 ESN once they see that I technically have a balance of $350 even before I get a final bill and a chance to pay it.

Yes, they are correct.
If you cancel with sprint you will lose your phone numbers.
Once you port with tmobile your numbers are transferred over and you start service with t mobile and your account with sprint is cancelled. Then Sprint just sends you the final bill with outstanding charges from that month and the etf fees from every line.
I dont think they are allowed to blacklist the phones until they bill you first and then if you don't pay by the due date then they can block them.
But I'd also call them after you cancel to let them know that you will take care of all expenses and outstanding balance on your account.

KoukiFC3S

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2010
Is the Sprint LTE in LA crappy?

You have a 4S right now so you've only used 3G. According to Sensorly Sprint's LTE is pretty good in LA.

CarRamRod

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
Yes, they are correct.
If you cancel with sprint you will lose your phone numbers.
Once you port with tmobile your numbers are transferred over and you start service with t mobile and your account with sprint is cancelled. Then Sprint just sends you the final bill with outstanding charges from that month and the etf fees from every line.
I dont think they are allowed to blacklist the phones until they bill you first and then if you don't pay by the due date then they can block them.
But I'd also call them after you cancel to let them know that you will take care of all expenses and outstanding balance on your account.

Much appreciated; you've been a big help in this thread!

Is the Sprint LTE in LA crappy?

You have a 4S right now so you've only used 3G. According to Sensorly Sprint's LTE is pretty good in LA.

Check this out:
http://blog.laptopmag.com/fastest-4g-lte-los-angeles

I particularly like this article because they hit up a bunch of LA suburbs. Although many are on the Westside of LA, it's where I live and spend a lot of my time so worked out for me personally. One spot they didn't hit was the Valley. However, I had a friend on T-mobile who lives there and he did a speed test and got 37 down and 29 up!

Also another test comparing all carriers in East Hollywood.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnLfi7KaxSY

Firocity

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
I don't get why people want to go through selling their phones if they are in the return period. Just call Sprint and return the phone and get your contract returned to the status it was before you upgraded. They may charge you a restocking fee. Then you don't have to worry about ETF.

*KID*

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Boston, MA
I don't get why people want to go through selling their phones if they are in the return period. Just call Sprint and return the phone and get your contract returned to the status it was before you upgraded. They may charge you a restocking fee. Then you don't have to worry about ETF.

I suspect it's because the contract price + the ETF is less than full retail.
Just a guess... And if he's trying to sell the phone I'm sure it will be for more than what was paid in contract.

Otherwise there is zero reason not to just return the phone & switch carriers.

*KID*

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Boston, MA
Hard to believe that selling a Sprint iPhone would give you any kind of a profit. :(

It could if you sold it to another Sprint user (only works on Sprint) and they are not eligible for an upgrade or are on a plan where you pay full retail for phones.

If you're in contract price was say 299.00 and you sell it to them for $500 (more than you paid but less than retail) you profit & they pay less than going through Sprint. Win win.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Interesting math. You pay for the phone through the ETF or the contract for two years. Looks like you lose money on that deal.....

*KID*

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Boston, MA
Interesting math. You pay for the phone through the ETF or the contract for two years. Looks like you lose money on that deal.....

I think he's trying to make a profit on his Sprint iphone (to use towards the tmobile one) & get Tmobile to pay his ETF fees. If successful no $$ lost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.