Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Will there be a convergence? Mini will stay at 7.9 and I doubt the plus will grow upto 7.9 territory. If Apple is smart it would stay in 5.5 possibly max 5.8

There may not be any more convergence in dimension. But the question still remains whether mass of people outside of MR/ Apple fan community will continue to see distinct usage niches between a 5.5+" and a 7.9" device to justify spending hundreds of dollars for both devices. If they don't and trend to purchase one over the other, that makes Apple's job easier to eventually subsume or eliminate that product.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
There may not be any more convergence in dimension. But the question still remains whether mass of people outside of MR/ Apple fan community will continue to see distinct usage niches between a 5.5+" and a 7.9" device to justify spending hundreds of dollars for both devices. If they don't and trend to purchase one over the other, that makes Apple's job easier to eventually subsume or eliminate that product.

Apple said it themselves, they would rather cannibalize their own sales than others cannibalizing theirs.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I love my rmini now. I like Touch ID on my 5s but idk how useful it'll be on an iPad. I use a Smart Cover that unlocks when I open it so I wouldn't use it nearly as much as an iPhone that u hold in your hand.

If like it to have the full color gamut like the air, better speakers more than touch id

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I'm looking forward to the rMini 2. But of course, I'm cautiously optimistic, as there are scant rumors as to what the changes will be.

No large iPads for me. I know several iPad mini users, including my niece who loves it. It's the perfect tablet size, IMHO. And it's very easy to bring along anywhere.

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
I was all for iPad rMini when it first came out. I can hold it in 1 hand comfortably and it is very light. Perfect for portability. rMini does not suffer performance difference from its bigger brother (OK, I know rMini's processor clocked at slightly lower rate but that wouldn't bother majority of us). The main difference is only 1.8" in screen estate and if we are not bothered with that, we could save $100 by buying the Mini.

I would aim for a rMini 2 if it comes with touch ID but I heard iPad Air 2 is going to have 2GB RAM. That is one major dealbreaker.

teralpar

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2014
I have all 3. iPhone 5S, iPad rMini, Macbook Pro.

Obviously the iPhone and Macbook get the most use but the Macbook is pretty heavy to carry in my bag all day long so usually I just leave it at home and bring the iPad Mini unless I need to do something that requires a full computer. I think the size of the Mini is what finally made iPads viable for me. I always felt the full sized iPads were too big and close to the Macbook Pro so I could never find a use for them. The Mini is small enough to stand out on its own and be ultraportable.

I won't be getting the iPhone 6 or 6+ even though I have upgrades available. Planning to wait for the 6S next year.

Just recently upgraded from the 1st Gen Mini to the rMini and don't plan to get the iPad Mini 3 this year as all I expect to see is TouchID and performance increases. I'm fine with what I have for now.

I have the iPad rMini and MacBook Pro as well (no iPhone, still debating whether I want the 6+ or wait for the 6S+). I upgraded my rMini from the 1st gen iPad Mini earlier this year and I absolutely love my rMini. Touch ID would not be a significant upgrade for me, so I'll pass on the Mini 3. Plus, Apple has already collected thousands of dollars from me this year!

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2014
I actually just got the original Mini a couple months ago and it's way too slow for my uses. Game framerates suck, apps take forever to load, and the camera is awful. Also the screen isn't retina so text and websites look really jagged.

I got it for free (was surplus stock from work, they bought a bunch as xmas gifts and this one was left sitting on the shelf still gift wrapped since 2012 haha and I asked if I could just have it). I'm going to sell it and put the money towards an rmini

MacAttackKev

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2014
I've read and heard around that the mini refresh was going to be on hold until next year, anyone know if that's true?

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
I've had both the original mini and the Mini Retina. I just sold the mini Retina in advance of the expected refresh this month (hopefully the Mini will be refreshed along with the Air).

If the new mini has 2 new features, I'll purchase again:
- full color gamut. Yes, the limited color gamut was noticeable and annoying to me every time I used my R Mini.
- lighter and thinner. As small and light as the R-mini was I still found it to be a bit on the chubby and heavy side.

I'm using the 6 plus for now as a quasi tablet replacement. However, the browsing and App (ie tablet apps) experience are much better on the R mini.

If the color gamut is not addressed in the next R mini, I'll skip it and pick up a Nexus 7 (cheap), or rumored Nexus 8 for a tablet.

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
Couldn't care less about the Touch ID gimmick. I'll buy another one when they stop screwing consumers over by overcharging for extra memory. Put a damn SD slot in it. If they don't, I'll just buy a superior and yet still cheaper Android-based tablet.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I dont see too much of a benefit buying a rMini with a 6+ in hand. I am considering getting the air 2 though, it would be a better fit for me with the 6+. Though the base model with have to be more than 16GB...

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Couldn't care less about the Touch ID gimmick. I'll buy another one when they stop screwing consumers over by overcharging for extra memory. Put a damn SD slot in it. If they don't, I'll just buy a superior and yet still cheaper Android-based tablet.

While I somewhat agree touch id isn't as useful on an iPad vs iPhone there isn't a better tablet out there IMO. We all know there won't ever be a sd slot so no need to bring it up.

insoc

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
Do you think it's true we won't see any new iPad Mini these year? I'm the happy owner of the 1st iPad Mini. I love it because it's so thin and light I can hold it with my hand for a long time. Last year I didn't buy the iPad Mini 2 (the Retina) one because, yes I'm that obssesed, it was heavier than the original iPad Mini so I expected this year for a natural progression: a new iPad Mini with Retina screen yet lighter and faster.
It would be such a dissapointment if a new iPad Mini wouldn't come these year. NOT everyone wants something as small as a iPhone 6 Plus nor as large as a iPad Air!

insoc

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
Never thought saying this but if Apple won't release a new iPad Mini this new year I would buy a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4

I use my iPad ONLY for reading the internet, magazines and apps like IGN and I think I would do better with the Galaxy S 8.4 than my iPad Mini. Add to the fact that I could occasionaly see movies/shows on a bigger/better screen makes me think toward said Galaxy Tab.

zip

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2003
I was thinking about buying the next-generation a mini and then when I saw the 6+, I thought it could become both my phone and my tablet. After going back to the Apple Store to look at it again, I don't think I would be happy reading PDFs on it.

I am looking forward to the next rMini. I would like it to have:

Same processor and RAM as the Air 2.

Lighter - hopefully back to the weight of the original mini.

Full color gamut.

If the next mini has those, I plan to buy one.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I quite like the mini form factor, but I realized the rMini was not playing nice with my vision and I need a bigger screen. So I will not be buying the retina Mini 2.

I hope everyone who does enjoys it immensely. It's the perfect size for a lot of things, but I understand it's just a bit too small for me.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I for one am counting on the new iPad Mini. I love my current iPad mini retina, it goes with me everywhere. However I want a new one that feels as snappy my iPhone six. That snappy thing may simply be in my head, or maybe an excuse just to get the new device. :p

insoc

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
The only "problem" could be if Apple is actually discontinuing for good the iPad Mini in favor of the iPad Air and the iPhone 6 Plus.

GoingDark

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
It's just an extra hassle for me

Seconded.

I just got an iPhone 6 and am less than impressed with touchID. It doesn't always recognize my thumb, and it almost NEVER actually lets me use it for iTunes/App Store purchases, always throwing up the password pop-up.

If the only new features are an A8 chip and touchID, it's not worth the upgrade from my current rMini.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
I just got an iPhone 6 and am less than impressed with touchID. It doesn't always recognize my thumb, and it almost NEVER actually lets me use it for iTunes/App Store purchases, always throwing up the password pop-up.
I use TouchID on my 5S and it is phenomenal. I almost never have it reject my thumb (or other fingers). With that said, two things to note about TouchID.

First, the rumor is that it utilizes a learning algorithm, so if you have a rejected fingerprint but then reposition your finger and have it accepted, the original print that was rejected will be factored in to cut down on future false rejections. What this should mean is that it will become better as you continue to use it.

The second is that a lot of people don't seem to set it up optimally. When you set it up, you were probably holding the iPhone in your hand, lifting your thumb up and down repeatedly. While iOS will tell you to vary your finger position a bit if it senses too much repetition, let's face it: in day-to-day situations, you're going to be grabbing your phone in all sorts of different ways, presenting all sorts of different aspects of your finger to it. What I did when I registered my finger prints was to slowly rotate my finger each time I lifted up, such that the sensor saw the sides of my fingers with certain takes and even the tip of my finger (which doesn't hit the sensor when you're "properly" holding the phone cradled against your palm, but which frequently seems to find it when you're doing a faster grab). I suspect that covering more of my finger with the initial registration explains why I didn't experience the high rejection rates that some complained of. If that doesn't sound like what you did when you registered your print, I'd suggest trying it out. It should yield an improvement.

Regarding having to enter the password, that happens whenever you reboot the phone. I reboot my phone more often than I purchase things from the App Store or iTunes Music Store with it, so I feel as if I never really get to use my fingerprint to authenticate purchases, either. It's a security feature that I have mixed feelings about.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I use TouchID on my 5S and it is phenomenal. I almost never have it reject my thumb (or other fingers). With that said, two things to note about TouchID.

For some reason, I can never get my 5S to recognize my right thumb for more than a few days after rescanning it. I finally gave up on deleting and rescanning it.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
The only feature that would tempt me in a retina mini 2 would be if it had significantly better speakers. The ones in my current mini are so soft; it makes it impractical for setting alarms I know I'll hear. I'm thinking of jail breaking my current mini just to be able to turn them up higher.

Everything else falls under the category of, it might be nice but hardly worth upgrading for. Touch id is more useful on a phone, where I set a pass code to avoid making pocket calls.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
You guys think the new mini will be refreshed to look like the iphone curved edges?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.