Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
Signed.

Also, for whoever wants to know how to get the Power Menu to show, you may press CTRL + Power Button.

NinjaHERO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2008
U S of A
I too do not like this feature. I really just want to be in the room when these ideas are thrown around.

"Well, people have been able to put their laptop to sleep by closing the lid or clicking the sleep option from the power button menu. But clearly what we need is a third option. Something easier for this incredibly crucial feature."

"I've got it. Let's change the power button to instantly put the computer to sleep."

"How will people turn off their computers?"

"We'll just make them hold the button down longer. It will be funny everytime they release it too soon and put the computer to sleep by accident."

"You're right, people hardly ever turn off their computers. We should definitely make the only available way to do it more complicated. I love it."

Seriously? Why did we need a third option. Why was closing the lid such a horrible sleep option?

Reactions: leon-geyer

Soneca

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2013
Well, i always have some smart ass who press the power button just because it's cool to press it...
That's why in every damned OS i install, Mac, Linux or Windows, i disable power off and sleep from power button... Because turning off internet in a middle of a download is not cool, turning off internet when you are doing remote desktop assist is worse and it's really not cool when you are playing an online game and your internet dies...
This is easily avoidable by that thing all SO's have that is the control in their own power button....

gilibeats

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2014
Perfect for hybrid hard disk

Thank you friends, it a perfect solution for users that have hybrid hard disk (SSD+HDD) on macbook. In this cases, the hibernate mode its almost as fast sleep mode.

Fry-man22

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
I hate the new power button behaviour in my macbook pro, does anybody know if it's possible to re-enable the old behabiour of 10.8, so it wont go to sleep every time I click it? thanks!!!!

It looks like TinkerTool does exactly what you and I want! Just uncheck this box in the General" settings pane. The app does not have to be running for the change to persist, so you can change the setting and delete it if you so desired.

After 2 years, my button does what I want it to. Victory served cold...

http://www.bresink.com/osx/0TinkerTool/details.html

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-08-31 at 1.46.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-31 at 1.46.10 PM.png
    419.5 KB · Views: 321

leon-geyer

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2010
I need to train the exact moment between the just sleep and the reset. Always with fear I don't hold it a second to long. I really hate that complication, it would be so easy to make something like press double to sleep, or so.

I can use shortcuts, yeah, but if I just want to use one hand (for example when stand-in up, just a press and a Enter), and FEAR NO MORE, I have now the solution:

in terminal write

defaults write com.apple.loginwindow PowerButtonSleepsSystem -bool no

(just end with yes if you change your mind).
Source: https://lifehacker.com/bring-back-the-shutdown-dialog-when-you-press-the-mac-p-1617736812

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.