Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
How to run ePSXe on a Mac without installing windows.

I've never seen that problem on ePSXE. Maybe you're not using a compatible resolution? As for the Mac automatically switching to discrete graphics already epsxe, that was a behavior I've always observed up until today. Perhaps the new engines and wineskin do this. When I'm not so lazy, I'll compare with a few other wrappers known to work.

Last edited:

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Apple has OS X set to use your dGPU when certain libraries are linked in a running program. As soon as WineskinX11 starts, and the Mac Driver or XQuartz as well... the OpenGL libraries are hit and OSX switches to your dGPU. The only way to prevent this currently is gfxCardStatus. Unless I implement a way to lock GPUs like gfxCardStatus does, the control of your GPU is totally out of Wineskin's control, and is handled by the OS.

musicjunky

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
I've been using PCSX mostly and most 2D games run fine, and 3d polygonal games run really choppily on my Macbook Air 2011. Would using ePSXe work out any better for me? How is the speed comparable. Thanks.

Renzatic

Suspended
I've been using PCSX mostly and most 2D games run fine, and 3d polygonal games run really choppily on my Macbook Air 2011. Would using ePSXe work out any better for me? How is the speed comparable. Thanks.

I used to run ePSXe on a PC that probably had a quarter of the computing and graphical power of even a 2011 MBA back in 2000. Even assuming some slight overhead from WINE, you shouldn't have a single problem playing anything, 2D or 3D.

MontuRa

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2014
PEC isn't that difficult to get working. I didn't bother including it because everyone knows cheaters are bad people. ;)

Right click on the epsxe wrapper, show package contents, and poke around in there. tada!

You're right, it was pretty easy to get PEC running; I even got the PEC plugin to run in EPSXE.

The issue I've run in to is that PEC isn't detecting when EPSXE is running and/or won't send the cheat codes to the emulator. They're not communicating. Anyone know why?

I'm running EPSXE and PEC in two separate wrappers using wineskin, maybe that's the issue, however I'm not quite savvy enough to know if or how to run two programs simtaneously out of one wrapper. I did some research and someone else spotted (I think) the same issue, but there was no fix detailed;

http://portingteam.com/topic/2803-25-plugins/

Maybe someone can find a fix? I believe it would be a massive contribution to this effort.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
How to run ePSXe on a Mac without installing windows.

They can't be running separately. They must be within the same wrapper. Wrappers do not have the ability to communicate between each other. You need to set the ePSXe wrapper to run PEC as a test, then switch back and run ePSXe for real. I'm pretty sure I used the test launch method to do this.

MontuRa

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2014
I had a hunch about that. I hate to ask this but; can you walk me through that process?

Edit: I tried doing it myself but when I test run PEC I can't use wineskin to do anything else, so I have to close the PEC test window to run EPSXE... I'm not qualified to do this. Will search for info online but I'm eagerly waiting your reply

Edit:

Got it working flawlessly, will update soon with a step by step

Last edited:

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I had a hunch about that. I hate to ask this but; can you walk me through that process?

Edit: I tried doing it myself but when I test run PEC I can't use wineskin to do anything else, so I have to close the PEC test window to run EPSXE... I'm not qualified to do this. Will search for info online but I'm eagerly waiting your reply

Edit:

Got it working flawlessly, will update soon with a step by step

I think we could point it to a batch file that would launch both programs concurrently, maybe a script.

MontuRa

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2014
I think we could point it to a batch file that would launch both programs concurrently, maybe a script.

Yeah that could be done. When I looked it up there are actually 3 ways to do it. Number one, as you mentioned is a batch file that is written to run both programs. There's also menu bar scripts which are apparently pretty complex.

How to run PEC and EPSXE on MAC in Wineskin at the same time (in the same wrapper)
Step by step for everyone who's like me:

The simplest option was just to use the wineskin custom exe launcher tool, it essentially creates another wrapper for any exe you want to run and places it inside the wrapper of the program you're using.

In the Installer view of Wineskin (install software) click 'copy a folder inside' and copy your EPSXE folder as usual, but then go back and also copy your PEC folder inside.

Set up wineskin normally to run EPSXE and make sure you follow the steps to have a sweet logo, then from the configuration menu, go in to Tools > Custom EXE Creator.

Input the name you want to use for the program (I just put PEC) and then hit browse to go in to Program Files> your PEC folder and select the PEC.exe. Then select 'Use Start.exe'
In the Custom EXE launcher maker you can also set a custom icon for PEC, neat! Hit save and you'll see a window telling you you're done and that it will place this wrapper INSIDE of your EPSXE wrapper. All this means is that to run PEC and EPSXE, once EPSXE is running, just right click (or control click) on your EPSXE icon, show in finder, right click again to show package contents, and then click on the PEC wrapper to run it simultaneously.

The window that pops up also says that if you want to access and run that PEC wrapper from outside of the EPSXE wrapper, all you need to do is make and use an alias for it; I don't know how to do this so I'll do some research and come back to it.

Hit OK

* at this point, if I knew how to use the custom command lines in the configuration menu I would set them to open and run the PEC app when EPSXE a runs but, again, no idea how to do this so I'll do some research and update if I find the answer

Close the wineskin configuration window and run the wrapper normally. To open pec, same steps, go in to the wrapper while EPSXE is running and run PEC, pretty simple. tested and working.

Any thoughts Mentaluproar?

----------

Here's a link to the Wineskin support forum where someone made a custom app or something to do just what I was talking about but I'm on my phone so I can't really check it out right now. I'll come back to it later in the week unless someone else wants to take a crack at it

http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?forumId=1&comments_parentId=5018&Alias

Last edited:

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I'll look at this after class tomorrow. If I'm reading this right, you may have found an easy way to launch multiple-disc games too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.