Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Here is the link.

Not sure what Microsoft was thinking in terms of naming. Gonna confuse a lot of people.

However, I'm glad the REAL start button is back. Looks nice.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Will this throw off the good, bad, good, bad rule?

In all seriousness, my guess is they felt "Windows 9" sounded too much like Windows 95/98.

Last edited:

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Will they ever get the naming scheme figured out? Probably not. :p

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Here is the link.

Not sure what Microsoft was thinking in terms of naming. Gonna confuse a lot of people.

Just going to confuse the bottom x% of fools that would've been confused at any name change.

Personally, I have no issues with 8.1 and love it. I also have used 7 at work for years and find that to be about as good. I sort of think this is similar to MS' reaction to the original Xbox Live release - backtracking from progressive and uniquely different features because of the loud outcry from a vocal minority.

We haven't seen much of 10 yet, but I wonder how it'll look on tablets and cell phones and how it keeps a uniform look regardless of platform.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Here is the link.

It's not that confusing. ;)

Now using Windows (8 in particular), that's a different story!

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
Will this throw off the good, bad, good, bad rule?

In all seriousness, my guess is they felt "Windows 9" sounded too much like Windows 95/98.

I think that may be it. People often say "Windows 9x" to refer to 95 and 98, so it would get confusing if Windows 9.1, 9.2, etc come out.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
There is nothing wrong with the naming. They could have called it Windows Pluto.

What's your problem?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK

Not really. People coped fine with the third generation Xbox being called the Xbox One. Numbering/naming hasn't been one of Microsoft's consistent decisions. They just name it whatever feels good at the time.

With Microsoft always attempting to be as backwards compatible as possible when it comes to Windows, it may be a compatibility decision. Similar to why Windows 7 and 8.x are referred to as versions 6.1, 6.2 and 6.3 in command prompt.

If there was one thing Microsoft did an excellent job at in Windows 8, it was compatibility, discontinuing the need for XP Mode available in Windows 7. I hope this trend continues as if there is one thing I dislike about OS X its that you need an update for nearly every app with every new version.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
To be fair 10.10 looks heavily inspired by W7 with the translucency just with more blur. So, I think Apple has lately been copying just as much as their competitors.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I think that may be it. People often say "Windows 9x" to refer to 95 and 98, so it would get confusing if Windows 9.1, 9.2, etc come out.

Rumor has it that there's too many old programs that looks for "Windows 9" to determine if they're running on Windows 95 or Windows 98, which is why Microsoft had to skip it.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I think it's time to retire the Windows name and move on to a different OS for the consumer computer/mobile devices realm. I know it won't happen, but Windows is a bane for the consumer at this point.

deluxeshredder

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
To be fair 10.10 looks heavily inspired by W7 with the translucency just with more blur. So, I think Apple has lately been copying just as much as their competitors.
Vista's "Aero" theme was actually a me-too heavily inspired by early OS X. It was subtly refined in 7 and it wasn't much like contemporary Leopard/Snow Leopard.

I think 10.10's UI theme is a lot like 10.4 without gloss and with more elaborate FX and more Retina-happy details. It is a rather arbitrary change from the 10.5-10.9 style, but still not bad in its own right.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Vista's "Aero" theme was actually a me-too heavily inspired by early OS X. It was subtly refined in 7 and it wasn't much like contemporary Leopard/Snow Leopard.

I think 10.10's UI theme is a lot like 10.4 without gloss and with more elaborate FX and more Retina-happy details. It is a rather arbitrary change from the 10.5-10.9 style, but still not bad in its own right.
Sorry I disagree. I think w7 never was anything like any OS X release UI wise. They looked very different. Oh sure, they copied some UX stuff but that is different than how something looks.

W10 on the other hand, has some drop shadow which is surprising and yes it looks considerably like OS X shadows. As well as copying the desktops/expose thing.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Sorry I disagree. I think w7 never was anything like any OS X release UI wise. They looked very different. Oh sure, they copied some UX stuff but that is different than how something looks.

W10 on the other hand, has some drop shadow which is surprising and yes it looks considerably like OS X shadows. As well as copying the desktops/expose thing.

So many of the aesthetics from Windows Vista were clearly aimed at OS X, but I'm not sure it's fair to say one borrowed from the other. Translucency and such were just popular. Now there is a great deal of flat design.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK

Sorry, I disagree. :p

Vista/7 had a look that was rather aqua inspired. Windows 8/10 has a flat inspired look, a bandwagon that Microsoft actually helped create before iOS 7 and OS X Yosemite have jumped on it.

Either way, both Apple and Microsoft have had a history of copying/borrowing off each other. And we should be glad of this. Innovation first requires inspiration. And the more of this occurs, the more the consumer wins.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.