Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deepcdiver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
My iPhone 6 (4.7) fell 28" drop onto tile bathroom floor. Because of the curved glass, there is no ridge to protect the screen whatsoever. Of course 40 minutes after breakage, my case was delivered by USPS. Very slippery device, slides off
surfaces very easily.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,451

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I am worried about the curved glass as well, but the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are getting good "durability ratings" which confuses me. It did hit on a tile floor which aside from cement is the worst ground it hit. But at first I thought it said 28 foot drop and I was thinking "what else could you expect."

Oh! About the case. It's arrival would make me angry. Oh the irony.

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
Sorry to hear OP... I dropped my 5s a few days ago at about the same height to the same result.

I've been reading if you get a glass screen protector, in such instances, that will usually just break instead of the screen itself breaking. Anyone have any experience with that?

darrenf1

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2012
South Jersey
iPhone 6 Screen broken, only 28" drop :(

Why would you pay for the repairs in advance by purchasing AppleCare. With a 6+ it's at best break even and with a 6 you end up paying more.
AppleCare 100 +80/repair = $260 for 2 repairs.
Pay by repair for 6 is $109 x2 = $218

chrise2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Drop your phone in the toilet and let me know how that math works out for you. :)

Why would you pay for the repairs in advance by purchasing AppleCare. With a 6+ it's at best break even and with a 6 you end up paying more.
AppleCare 100 +80/repair = $260 for 2 repairs.
Pay by repair for 6 is $109 x2 = $218

darrenf1

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2012
South Jersey
Drop your phone in the toilet and let me know how that math works out for you. :)

Had every phone since the 3G. Never gets near a toilet. I'm confident I'll be just fine. I have also had Applecare ever since they started covering damage. Not this time, the most likely damage would be broken screens, (Which I've never broken a screen either), and with the new reduced prices, the math doesn't work. Thanks though.

trlyka

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2011
Had every phone since the 3G. Never gets near a toilet. I'm confident I'll be just fine. I have also had Applecare ever since they started covering damage. Not this time, the most likely damage would be broken screens, (Which I've never broken a screen either), and with the new reduced prices, the math doesn't work. Thanks though.

Never say never! You just jinxed yourself for sure! :eek:

wilky76

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2013
Wigan
You know the screen is easy as hell to replace on the iPhone 6 & 6 Plus, Apple basically added 4 or 5 connectors at the top right under a metal plate inc one for the touch id sensor.

It would take even a novice 10 mins to replace the screen on the 6 it that easy.

aham23

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
darn it!

missed my pocked and dopped my iP6 from about 35 inches onto a wooden step. it landed corner first then slid across a concrete floor screen down. not a scratch or dent, but glass cracked at the corner. the phone is so light and flimsy feeling (to me) and this sorta confirms it for me.

also thinking i should have stuck with the Speck Candyshell.

also thinking i should have purchased applecare.

also thinking this will drive me crazy to stare at for the next year.

im sad.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    994.9 KB · Views: 324

MNR

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2014
I'm dropping a lot my phone but I'm pretty lucky I never broke a phone screen.
I'm really surprised that the price to replace the screen by apple is so "cheap" ; just $109
Assuming that over the next 2 years this kind of accident will only happen once, for me an apple care is not really worthy ... $99 + $79 services fee.

01silver4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2014
Florida
missed my pocked and dopped my iP6 from about 35 inches onto a wooden step. it landed corner first then slid across a concrete floor screen down. not a scratch or dent, but glass cracked at the corner. the phone is so light and flimsy feeling (to me) and this sorta confirms it for me.

also thinking i should have stuck with the Speck Candyshell.

also thinking i should have purchased applecare.

also thinking this will drive me crazy to stare at for the next year.

im sad.

It's going to be like 109 plus tax to replace the screen on your 6, thats not to bad at all. And also when u get it repaired, u know u could put a minimal case on it and it would still give u some drop protection, especially for the glass.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    404.8 KB · Views: 171
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.