Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

futurepizza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2014
Ive searched far and wide and no one seems to have tried or exhibited an Xbox One controller being used in OSX. Has anyone tried this?

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
I believe Feral has support for it in some of it's recent games, but I don't believe anyone has anything made to use it universally unfortunately. I'd like to see support soon as well.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Feral support it (the wired version) in all new games starting with Castle Of Illusion. No open source drivers have been updated yet for wider support.

futurepizza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2014
Thanks fore the respsonses. So can I assume this means theres no support for Steam games or for the matter things like steam's in home streaming in OSX?

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Thanks fore the respsonses. So can I assume this means theres no support for Steam games or for the matter things like steam's in home streaming in OSX?

It would depend on the game however I am not aware of any other Mac games with XBONE pad support right now.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Your post is misleading. The driver doesn't exist and won't exist unless that project is funded.

I don't think it needs all this kickstarter work from scratch, some modifications to the tattiebogle driver would get you pretty much all the major support required as the protocol on the 360 pad and the XBONE are the same, adding rumble trigger support etc might be some extra work but this is not impossible or required.

I totally don't have the spare time to work on adding the support in myself but someone who has a USB XBONE and some programming experience should be able to get it working without it being too much time and effort.

robE89

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2011
Looks like xbox one controller started working in latest yosemite, i was just surprised to see the white led turning on :cool:

Rhei

macrumors member
May 16, 2011
Is this only for the wired Xbox One controller or for the included wireless controller as well? These drivers always kind of confused me on which incarnation of controller they were for.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Looks like xbox one controller started working in latest yosemite, i was just surprised to see the white led turning on :cool:

I don't believe Yosemite has any Xbox support, I know Apple haven't mention it at all in any documentation and our Xbox One pads are not working in OS X only in our games (as we have built in support now).

Is this only for the wired Xbox One controller or for the included wireless controller as well? These drivers always kind of confused me on which incarnation of controller they were for.

There is no support for the wireless pad as no wireless dongle exists yet (for Windows or Mac).

robE89

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2011
I fired up grid 2 this weekend and i played it with my controller, need to check other games

Ficus

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2015
I just finished a driver for the Xbox One controller for Mac OS X. You can check it out at: https://github.com/FranticRain/Xone-OSX

Unlike that Kickstarter, its free and has no licensing fee! They deleted my comment on Kickstarter though, so tell your friends.

Thanks a lot for the work, as I see it is regulary updated (last update: 2nd January 2015). However, I installed the package from this link:

https://github.com/FranticRain/Xone-OSX/releases/tag/v0.4.0

rebooted the mac, and nothing happens. The xbox1 controller does nothing, and it is not recognized in any game. Is there anything I can do to make it work?

edit: it looks like the driver is for OS 10.9+, while I have installed the 10.7.5. Probably this is the reason.

I am completely ignorant and this is over my head on how to get this working. ;)

in the description in that link, there is a sentence:

Current Release: Beta 0.4.0 (Jan. 02, 2015)
This is a beta release. Use at your own discretion.

NOTE: If you want to use the driver without access to the source code, check the releases page.

the "check the releases page" is a link: click on it to reach the installing package.

LionSoleil

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
Thanks a lot for the work, as I see it is regulary updated (last update: 2nd January 2015). However, I installed the package from this link:

https://github.com/FranticRain/Xone-OSX/releases/tag/v0.4.0

rebooted the mac, and nothing happens. The xbox1 controller does nothing, and it is not recognized in any game. Is there anything I can do to make it work?

I installed it from the very same link and am playing Dirt 2 right now with my Xbox one Controller on macbook retina with Yosemite. However, there is an update to v.1 that I tried and it didn't work for me. I haven't tried on a different game yet. Hope this will help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.