Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WJKramer

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
Ok, I have to respond to this. I am one of those who has been using Power Support's anti-glare films for years. The only brand I trust and recommend. I am also OCD when it comes to film installation. In fact, I have had so much practice that I could probably make a living applying these, I have done way too many for free :) I use a "clean room" with humidifier to reduce dust and have various tools and tricks of the trade to use. I pre-ordered on their website as soon as the 6 Plus films went live. However they have an Oct 6 release date. In my communication with Power Support the ones they are selling in the Apple Store are not the same they are/will be selling on their website. Those versions will be much more precise in fit. With that being said I walked over to the Apple store this morning and picked up a pack for testing on my 6 Plus. To my surprise I am actually pleasantly happy with the product and installation. I was able to get great alignment covering the entire viewable LCD (and I mean to the edge!). The cut outs don't bother me as much as I thought however the home button leaves a little to be desired as it is quite large, of which Power Support has informed me will be corrected. I use it in conjunction with the Apple leather case as well if anyone is interested. I am sorry I can't post pics at this time as the 6 plus is the only camera I have with me traveling this week. If I get some time at home next week I'll through some up on here. Enjoy!

Last edited:

sleepyking

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2012
Awaiting a reply. Here is a picture showing how bad the cutouts are, especially the home button:

I too had a few email exchanges with PS expressing the same opinion you have, particularly about the home button cutout. They told me that the ones for pre order SHOULD have a better cut.
I'm a little optimistic about that because if you look at the photos on their page, the cutout at the top of the film is more of a fuller "W" as opposed to the ones available at the Apple stores. I know this is a minute detail but maybe they were indeed cutting a precise fit a couple weeks after the phones release.

yourtoys7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
I made mistake getting for 5S with that ally over sized cut out on home button. Now for iPhone 6 it's even worse.
PS: you won't be getting my $ or any of my friends. As much as I recommended your product for being one of the best out there, I will do bigger job of telling people to stay away from your awful protectors.

GalaDaliGirl

Suspended
Sep 19, 2014
I disagree. I've tried 15+ screen protectors on the market. There is no comparison.

Agree. Look, I was mad too that the cutouts weren't perfect and they totally lied about early production times - but it's fine. I will apply the update when it's released.

I will never use anything but PS - they are the best hands down. I have tried them all.

Fissure

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Long time PS crystal film customer. If those cutouts for the home button and top center sensors aren't corrected I'll go with Spigen. That's horrendous. I'm not so concerned with the coverage on the curved parts of the glass.

WJKramer

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
Here is the detail I promised.....still love it. Can't wait to get the improved version.

Attachments

• PowerSupport-1.jpg
    PowerSupport-1.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 150
  • PowerSupport-2.jpg
    PowerSupport-2.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 119
  • PowerSupport-3.jpg
    PowerSupport-3.jpg
    415.9 KB · Views: 130
  • PowerSupport-4.jpg
    PowerSupport-4.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 122

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
not sure why you'd need a screen protector. haven't had one on my 4 or my 5. 4 years with no issues. why do you want one? Its hard to scratch these screens.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
not sure why you'd need a screen protector. haven't had one on my 4 or my 5. 4 years with no issues. why do you want one? Its hard to scratch these screens.

It is hard to scratch them but no matter how well you look after your phone there is no way to avoid them. I can guarantee your phones did/ do have scratches even fine ones. If you think your phones don't get scratched you're kidding yourself.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005

I think it just depends on how OCD you are. For the truly OCD, the micro scratches on the screen will be bothersome. For the rest of the world, I agree that screen protectors aren't necessary and especially not these overpriced ones. Back when I was still using screen protectors, I just bought a multipack from Tech Armor on Amazon that did the job nicely.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2011
For me, it's not even about the actual protection. I'm not hard on the screen (and I'd bet I'm at the high end of the power user scale). It's about glare reduction, fingerprint elimination and a much nicer feel during use.

WJKramer

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
For me, it's not even about the actual protection. I'm not hard on the screen (and I'd bet I'm at the high end of the power user scale). It's about glare reduction, fingerprint elimination and a much nicer feel during use.

Agreen 100%. The naked screen is full of glare and almost sticky.

WJKramer

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
If I see a PS protector in the Apple store shortly, how can I tell if it's the newer version?

PowerSupport explained to me that the Apple Store design requirements are different, so you will most likely NOT see this second version EVER at the Apple Store. Order from their website instead.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I think it just depends on how OCD you are. For the truly OCD, the micro scratches on the screen will be bothersome. For the rest of the world, I agree that screen protectors aren't necessary and especially not these overpriced ones. Back when I was still using screen protectors, I just bought a multipack from Tech Armor on Amazon that did the job nicely.
If you are ocd like me having a small edge of plastic that you can see and feel every time you touch your phone would bother you. You don't see these micro scratches you're talking about.

appleii.c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2013
I disagree. I've tried 15+ screen protectors on the market. There is no comparison.

Ok, I have to respond to this. I am one of those who has been using Power Support's anti-glare films for years. The only brand I trust and recommend. I am also OCD when it comes to film installation. In fact, I have had so much practice that I could probably make a living applying these, I have done way too many for free :) I use a "clean room" with humidifier to reduce dust and have various tools and tricks of the trade to use. I pre-ordered on their website as soon as the 6 Plus films went live. However they have an Oct 6 release date. In my communication with Power Support the ones they are selling in the Apple Store are not the same they are/will be selling on their website. Those versions will be much more precise in fit. With that being said I walked over to the Apple store this morning and picked up a pack for testing on my 6 Plus. To my surprise I am actually pleasantly happy with the product and installation. I was able to get great alignment covering the entire viewable LCD (and I mean to the edge!). The cut outs don't bother me as much as I thought however the home button leaves a little to be desired as it is quite large, of which Power Support has informed me will be corrected. I use it in conjunction with the Apple leather case as well if anyone is interested. I am sorry I can't post pics at this time as the 6 plus is the only camera I have with me traveling this week. If I get some time at home next week I'll through some up on here. Enjoy!

This is a shame, I've used them NUMEROUS times in the past. I think their films are/were the best on the market. For me the MAIN thin i think makes them worth the money is the precision and the fact that they don't use adhesives. They go on with some static cling tech. Not even sure how it sticks, but they don't move.

I hope they correct the problem.

arliu

macrumors regular
May 1, 2011
any way to do a hinnge method or any other trick? The way ps tells you to do it, i always misalign a little bit

hidehide

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
May I know where did you get it from? According to their Japan website (they are Japanese brand), all products are only released on 3 October. They do offer a pre-release version in Apple Store?

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Toronto
Apple Stores in Toronto have the initial 'not the greatest-fitting' PowerSupport screen protectors, although in short supply depending on the store. I've seen the 6 sold out recently. They are also available online at apple.ca which probably only ships within Canada.

May I know where did you get it from? According to their Japan website (they are Japanese brand), all products are only released on 3 October. They do offer a pre-release version in Apple Store?

hidehide

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
Apple Stores in Toronto have the initial 'not the greatest-fitting' PowerSupport screen protectors, although in short supply depending on the store. I've seen the 6 sold out recently. They are also available online at apple.ca which probably only ships within Canada.
Interesting.. As this seems to contradict to their press release that they will start the design and production only after they released the real iPhone on hand.. so I bet the one that will be selling in their website should be an improved version..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.