Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

forlong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
Hi,

I'm really getting desperate with Apple laptops. My previous MBA and my current rMBP are excellent in some regards but damn, they're still too far from being usable machines. My MBA would get a corrupted hard drive as soon as I moved a big enough file and I'd have to reboot to repair its brand new SSD it about once a week. My early 2013 rMBP has been freezing regularly without mentioning anything in the Console and the only way out is to power it off. I've tried PRAM and SMC resets, I've tried clean installs, I've even tried installing Yosemite. All I've learned thanks to Yosemite being a bit less bad than Mavericks is that the problem is "graphical". I couldn't learn more though because after kindly putting a word on what's been interrupting my work for months, it still crashed. I don't want to bring it to a tech because honestly I already know what's going to happen. I'll be left without my work machine for a week and they'll say they can't reproduce the bug.

What the hell should I buy, now? I've thought of simply updating to the next generation rMBP but there are even more freeze rumors with those! And what if I stumble once again upon a model that has a WiFi chip that is noisy and I have to lose a week to get it replaced? Should I buy like 10 models at once, try them all and keep only the less buggy one? I don't see any other solution…

Thanks for the help

forlong

Cojm

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2014
Yeah.... I bought a rMBP last year and havent had ANY issues. You are breaking something.

forlong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
For the MBA, it's too late, I've sold it long ago. For the rMBP I haven't found how to trigger this freeze yet, it's completely random. Were I able to demonstrate it I would have shown it to a tech. Also, what could Apple do, at best? Change the logic board under warranty? I've seen posts from people who still had the bug after that. I've just realized though that there's a new, hopefully more stable generation of rMBPs that's been released recently. Maybe I should give that at try. I know MacBooks run fine for most people, I'm probably only really unlucky.

On me breaking things: I don't use any external hardware besides my Time Machine USB drive and of the 5 apps I use the most, only one is not made by Apple (and it's a Unix tool that never crashes). I use so many stock settings I don't need more than an hour to set up a new install. So I don't know.

Liberty.

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
Problem is that you obviously can't reproduce the issue. Maybe reinstall the system and test the applications one by one?

forlong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
I don't know, it doesn't seem like it's related to an app. The warning I saw yesterday didn't specify one. It looks more like a hardware failure. Also, it'd take me too much time. For instance I've installed the latest Yosemite update yesterday and it's going to take me hours of moderate use before the bug appears again.

The more I think about it the more I think that it would be better for my sanity to simply buy a new device and sell my current one. I'd lose some money but at least the problem would probably be fixed quickly. It's the only solution. I've looked at other hidpi laptops out there and none comes close to rMBPs. Also, I'm definitely not going back to Windows nonsense or Linux tinkering.

Edit: Just contacted the closest Apple Stores and none could tell me if the 14-day return policy I've seen on apple.com is also available in retail stores. Anybody knows if that's the case? Cause my plan was to use that if I realize the bug still appears on the new machine. And I'd rather go there physically to avoid delivery delays.

Edit 2: Apple told me that ordering online is my safest bet if I want to use this return policy. I'm doing this the next time I get a freeze.

Last edited:

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
These things are almost always related to an app.

These things are almost always down to user error, ie an incompatible app.

Take it to apple and they'll do a hardware test if its a problem with the computer they'll replace or fix it or not if you decide you can't be without it.

Having only one PC to work on seems a bit of a risk all computers can and do break eventually and if continued productivity is a must then a backup system is also a must.

As an aside I have had a similar problem on an old 2010 macbook pro and it was an incompatability with mavericks and a third party ssd.

Obviously not the case with you but I'm willing to bet a clean install will be fine, add your apps back one by one until you find the one causing the problem.

Just spotted that you are using a beta version of yosemite, if this is your work laptop what on earth are you doing using an unreleased beta OS, that is just asking for incompatability issues.

forlong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
I installed Yosemite out of despair, after seeing that a clean install of the most stable Mavericks (10.9.5) wasn't enough. I was thinking that maybe this bug could have been fixed. Apparently they've done something because as I've said I now see warnings before freezes.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Non reproducible issues are quite possibly the most annoying thing on the planet. Sorry you read that your multiple computers are causing problems for you.

It doesn't help, but I haven't had any problems with my two MBA and rMBP.

If you are getting warnings, screen shot the warning and take it to the store and ask politely for a replacement.

forlong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
This is a good idea to try, thanks. I'm not sure I will be fast enough to take a screenshot because last time the freeze happened so quickly after the warning that I didn't even have the time to click on "More details". We'll see.

forlong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
Latest Yosemite update has improved the issue, I now get warnings without freezes and I can click to report them to Apple. I was able to take a screenshot and so I'll send that to the closest Apple tech. The Console is also more talkative, there are a lot of HEX codes and it then ends by saying "End Hang Analysis", "Trying restart GPU…". Which confirms my idea that it's a hardware issue. Hope I can get a replacement because now that I've seen that the current generation of rMBPs is both thinner and has a hard drive twice as fast as mine, I really want one!

Last edited:

forlong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
So my computer seems to have been fixed. The GPU running too hot was causing the problem. The tech had to try two (!) brand new logic boards before finding one that wouldn't crash. My advice to somebody experiencing this would be as I've been advised here to take screenshots (or pictures with your phone), but also not to think that because somebody on the Internet had its motherboard replaced and still experienced the issue that this will necessarily be your case. In my case my tech appears to be thorough and he would have discovered the problem by himself and way sooner than I did with the tests he does.

Jesla

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2013
Tennessee USA
#1 - Don't believe everything you read on the internet.....

"I don't want to bring it to a tech because honestly I already know what's going to happen. I'll be left without my work machine for a week and they'll say they can't reproduce the bug."

#2 - .....because things like this do actually happen.

"The GPU running too hot was causing the problem. The tech had to try two (!) brand new logic boards before finding one that wouldn't crash."

Now.....is your glass half full or half empty?

forlong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
Well, if someone's to blame here it's not the shy guy I am that sensed the awkwardness in going to a shop and say "yeah it crashes but you have to use it hours before it appears, and it comes for no particular reason" to a sales assistant, I would certainly say it's Apple. What kind of computers do they ship that need the WiFi chip replaced once and the motherboard twice?

BobertKennedy

macrumors member
May 3, 2014
Yosemite is currently a beta release, loaded with bugs and incomplete features. What makes you think that running a beta operating system is going to cure a hardware issue? What makes you think that installing a beta operating system is going to cure a software issue?

I would take it in to Apple and have them examine the machine. It could be an SSD failure, but then again it might be something else all together: a loose chip on the motherboard, a bad transistor, etc. It could also be software, as you may be running legacy software that is incompatible with your configuration. Have you reviewed the console logs for a possible cause?

forlong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
Just got the GPU crash once again. Turns out I was initially right about me losing a week and having the same problem in the end. I'm going to ask for a replacement with a newer model but I'm not sure how that'll go…

@BobertKennedy: all your questions are answered in the thread.

dan1eln1el5en

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
This is by far the silliest thing I've read on mr for a bit.

So you sold your MBA because it got some file corruption, bought a nice new Macbook Pro retina (same as me...love that machine) and because of your bad experience with previous and retail support etc. you run BETA software on ?!?!, as I read your post with random freezing, I thought to myself "oh that sounds like Yosemite" and sure enough a couple of posts down you tell us that you run an OS that is in Beta, wich is not in it's release-able state (look at the OS X forums under 10.10, so many people experienced wifi wouldn't work for one version, the issue you mention is also a talk-of-town)

If you want reliable computer, a work horse, you use tested software and an OS that is 1-2 revsions behind the current (e.g. run 10.9.2 if 10.9.4 is the current) to ensure your software play nice with each other.
let the silly people (e.g. me) try the newest and risk it all instead of putting yourself in that danger zone.

well hopefully we'll see the final release of 10.10 very soon, and an end to all the GPU issues on the 15" rMBP...

forlong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
This is only silly because you've not read more than what you wanted to see.

I installed Yosemite out of despair, after seeing that a clean install of the most stable Mavericks (10.9.5) wasn't enough. I was thinking that maybe this bug could have been fixed. Apparently they've done something because as I've said I now see warnings before freezes.

Those warnings allowed me to go to a technician with real data (a screenshot, a console log and a gpuRestart file) that allowed me to show him that although he could use the machine for hours without seeing it, the problem is real. I don't know where you've read that I've had bad experience with support, I simply like to be precise about what's wrong so that, among other reasons, the problem is treated faster.

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2008
I've had so many problems with my late 2013 rMBP as well. Never with all my other Apple computers and devices (many since 2004). I'm tired of trips to the Genius Bar on the weekend. With all the work they've done on this current one I'm going to beg them for a replacement when I take it because it won't wake from sleep at my next appointment. It could just be something I'm downloading, etc. as others have indicated as a reply to your issues as well. Oh well. :(

Last edited:

forlong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
To me the Retina technology on laptops is really avant-guarde and I'm not surprised there are hiccups, Apple is many years ahead of the competition. I simply hope they'll acknowledge the problem and be a good sport about it, I bought a full-priced computer and I'm not a beta tester. The way I see it latest models should likely be more stable but if you tell me you have issues with a late 2013 (I have an early 2013) I might play it safe and go back to less adventurous technology with a MBA, though…

Last edited:

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
So my computer seems to have been fixed. The GPU running too hot was causing the problem. The tech had to try two (!) brand new logic boards before finding one that wouldn't crash. My advice to somebody experiencing this would be as I've been advised here to take screenshots (or pictures with your phone), but also not to think that because somebody on the Internet had its motherboard replaced and still experienced the issue that this will necessarily be your case. In my case my tech appears to be thorough and he would have discovered the problem by himself and way sooner than I did with the tests he does.

Interestingly the reason I haven't got my rMBP back is that the first logic board they got was faulty... This may well be a common problem

forlong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
Just had a dreadful experience with an Apple Senior Advisor on the phone. I called because my technician kindly told me – even though he was not supposed to – that it's them I should contact if I want my machine replaced. Instead of telling me "I'll be on holiday next week, if you want to get your machine replaced fast please bring it to a certified technician ASAP" she'd say "Bring your machine back tomorrow morning" and get angry when I'd politely tell her that it might not be that easy for me to get off work and drive there. The whole thing lasted 45 minutes. Geez, Apple, I'm really tired of your *****. It's actually getting really close to the point where, despite all the time invested in app research, customisation, etc. I buy an ugly ThinkPad and put Linux on it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.