Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Justafrogg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
I have found that the best way to get my iPhone and iPad to work reasonably well is with the Restart/Reset method:

Press and hold the Sleep button while pressing and holding the Home button.

After Restarting, the offending "iDevice" it will work for awhile. When it slows down again, and it will, Restart it again.

I believe that most of the problems with iOS 8 are pointing back to the well documented WiFi issues.

Shawzborne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2013
I have found that the best way to get my iPhone and iPad to work reasonably well is with the Restart/Reset method:

After Restarting, the offending "iDevice" it will work for awhile. When it slows down again, and it will, Restart it again.

I believe that most of the problems with iOS 8 are pointing back to the well documented WiFi issues.

Pretty much everything is fixed in 8.1

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
I have found that the best way to get my iPhone and iPad to work reasonably well is with the Restart/Reset method

I believe this is the equivalent of mashing the reset button on your old tower computer. If you are looking for stability and reliability in your OS, I do not think this is something you want to do often. Apple recommends it only as a last resort.

ios 8 has been usable since 8.0

Yes, for me anyway - it has been one of my better upgrade experiences. I am still using 8.0.

A.

Justafrogg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
ios 8 has been usable since 8.0

Usable yes, if you have plenty of time to wait for it to wake up. I was having no problems with iOS 7 and have never had such slow behavior with any previous iOS release.

Two iPhones and two iPads all with WiFi issues with several routers. iOS 8 has WiFi issues for many people. If you're not having them, good for you.

----------

I believe this is the equivalent of mashing the reset button on your old tower computer. If you are looking for stability and reliability in your OS, I do not think this is something you want to do often. Apple recommends it only as a last resort.

Yes, for me anyway - it has been one of my better upgrade experiences. I am still using 8.0.

A.
Try 8.0.2. Matters may have become worse when I updated. All I know is that Reseting (or Cycling Power) allows my iDevices to work for awhile.

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
Usable yes, if you have plenty of time to wait for it to wake up. I was having no problems with iOS 7 and have never had such slow behavior with any previous iOS release.

Two iPhones and two iPads all with WiFi issues with several routers. iOS 8 has WiFi issues for many people. If you're not having them, good for you.

4 iphones, 1 ipod touch, 4 ipads in this house, all are fine on a mix of 8.0/8.0.2 & only mine on 8.1 beta 1

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
All I know is that Resetting (or Cycling Power) allows my iDevices to work for awhile.

I feel that letting the phone power off and power back up in a controlled fashion is safer in the long run than punching the reset button, but that is just my intuition talking.

A.
(who has no particular reason to rush to 8.0x :)

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Try 8.0.2. Matters may have become worse when I updated. All I know is that Reseting (or Cycling Power) allows my iDevices to work for awhile.
Resetting can potentially corrupt files on the device, e.g. if some process happens to be writing something when you do it. You should cycle the power instead, this will shutdown the running processes gracefully.

Justafrogg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Resetting can potentially corrupt files on the device, e.g. if some process happens to be writing something when you do it. You should cycle the power instead, this will shutdown the running processes gracefully.

Agreed. (Unless of course your iPad has crashed miserably with a bad version of iOS. LOL)

----------

4 iphones, 1 ipod touch, 4 ipads in this house, all are fine on a mix of 8.0/8.0.2 & only mine on 8.1 beta 1

Another lucky one. My post was simply to try and help users like me who are having problems with iOS 8. (iOS 8.0.2 specifically)

Just because you're not having problems doesn't mean that others are not.

----------

I feel that letting the phone power off and power back up in a controlled fashion is safer in the long run than punching the reset button, but that is just my intuition talking.

A.
(who has no particular reason to rush to 8.0x :)

Agreed..... and don't update! ;)

----------

My wife and I have two iPhone 6 Pluses on order! I'm counting on the new hardware to work well with iOS 8. I am not however anxious to buy new iPad's. Hopefully Apple will resolve the issues that many users are having with iOS 8 on older devices.

For anybody who is having slowness with Safari or any App that uses a WiFi connection, cycling power or resetting will help.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007

Why are you so confident that "it will" slow down again after a restart? Oh yeah, you're having problems, so therefore everybody else must be too. And if they're not, then they're just "lucky" right?

FWIW, I just ran a wi-fi test at work and got virtually identical results from a test that I ran a year ago when my phone was new and running iOS 7.0.1. Same phone, same internet service, same router, same location.

Also FWIW, for me iOS 8.0.2 is now just as stable and runs just as fast as iOS 7.1.2 did. And it's light years ahead of the early iOS 7 releases that crashed Safari and apps constantly, and would reboot at random (remember the "white screen of death"?).

To fix the issue, maybe you should try restoring the phone to factory settings and reload iOS 8.0.2 using iTunes. If it works better, then go ahead and restore your apps and settings from backup. I do this routine with every major iOS update. It purges corrupt data and reduces the size of the "Other" directory, which holds onto botched downloads and other junk bits until you restore the phone.

Justafrogg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Why are you so confident that "it will" slow down again after a restart? Oh yeah, you're having problems, so therefore everybody else must be too. And if they're not, then they're just "lucky" right?

FWIW, I just ran a wi-fi test at work and got virtually identical results from a test that I ran a year ago when my phone was new and running iOS 7.0.1. Same phone, same internet service, same router, same location.

Also FWIW, for me iOS 8.0.2 is now just as stable and runs just as fast as iOS 7.1.2 did. And it's light years ahead of the early iOS 7 releases that crashed Safari and apps constantly, and would reboot at random (remember the "white screen of death"?).

To fix the issue, maybe you should try restoring the phone to factory settings and reload iOS 8.0.2 using iTunes. If it works better, then go ahead and restore your apps and settings from backup. I do this routine with every major iOS update. It purges corrupt data and reduces the size of the "Other" directory, which holds onto botched downloads and other junk bits until you restore the phone.

Just the fact that you're having to restore to factory settings and routinely using iTunes with every major iOS update speaks volumes about Apple's problems with iOS updates. I did in fact do this on one of my iPhone 4S' and it's still got the slow down issues. (Every time I talk to Apple support they also tell me to do this and it has never helped.)

The problem may or may not be WiFi related but I find it very interesting that there are so many posts from other people on MacRumors and even Apple's own forums regarding these issues.

One thing that I can say is that when I use cellular data, Safari and every other App that depends on the internet works much faster.

Try not to be so defensive... I'm having problems with iOS 8... they are not imagined and I'm not an Android fanboy. It's not a personal attack if somebody makes a suggestion on a forum.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Just the fact that you're having to restore to factory settings and routinely using iTunes with every major iOS update speaks volumes about Apple's problems with iOS updates. I did in fact do this on one of my iPhone 4S' and it's still got the slow down issues. (Every time I talk to Apple support they also tell me to do this and it has never helped.)

I don't "have to" do this. I do it as a preventative measure, and to periodically clear out storage space on my phone by purging the caches and accumulated junk data. How do my experiences "speak volumes" about anything, when I have had no major issues with iOS 8, and consider the performance and stability on par with when my phone was on iOS 7.1.2?

Justafrogg said:
Try not to be so defensive... I'm having problems with iOS 8... they are not imagined and I'm not an Android fanboy. It's not a personal attack if somebody makes a suggestion on a forum.

Not saying anything at all about Android or anything imagined. You're the one stating that those chiming in without iOS 8 issues are merely "another lucky one."

Justafrogg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
I don't "have to" do this. I do it as a preventative measure, and to periodically clear out storage space on my phone by purging the caches and accumulated junk data. How do my experiences "speak volumes" about anything, when I have had no major issues with iOS 8, and consider the performance and stability on par with when my phone was on iOS 7.1.2?

Not saying anything at all about Android or anything imagined. You're the one stating that those chiming in without iOS 8 issues are merely "another lucky one."

Again, I'm not the only person with iOS 8 problems. The internet is filled with similar complaints. I'm sure that Apple will eventually release an update which fixes the problems for users like myself. Until then, I will continue to read posts from contributors in hopes of finding some information that helps my 4 devices work better.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
I don't have any choice, I have to do it as my phone will freeze up after a period of time. Sometimes I can open my lock screen and it's stuck right between home screen's and I have to do it. It seems to like to freeze up when I am changing settings also.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Again, I'm not the only person with iOS 8 problems. The internet is filled with similar complaints. I'm sure that Apple will eventually release an update which fixes the problems for users like myself. Until then, I will continue to read posts from contributors in hopes of finding some information that helps my 4 devices work better.

And those that have had no major issues with iOS 8 do not merely make up a "lucky" few, as you've implied. Rather than dismiss those experiences out of hand as some dumb luck, maybe a place to start to find a solution would be those whose devices were successfully updated. How did they do the update? What are their phone settings? What router do they use? etc. Just a thought. :cool:

Padmini

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2014

How is this a thread? If you don't already know enough to TURN IT OFF THEN ON AGAIN before reporting issues....I don't know what to say.

Justafrogg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
How is this a thread? If you don't already know enough to TURN IT OFF THEN ON AGAIN before reporting issues....I don't know what to say.

Restarting fixes the issues temporarily. I've done it on all 4 of my devices that have slowed down with Safari. I ran into this when I did a "Reset All Settings". I initially witnessed that my 4S worked better. After a while it started slowing down again. It occurred to me that it wasn't the "Reset All Settings" that made the phone work better. It was the restart.

In any case, I've never had issues like this in the past. I connect to several WiFi networks throughout the day. I've performed Network Resets and re-setup all of my WiFi connections.

On my two iPhone 4S' and two iPad2's I'm having problems with WiFi.

Please, no more insults on my intelligence...

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
I don't know what to say.

Perhaps in such cases it is best to say nothing? Abraham Lincoln comes to mind.

On my two iPhone 4S' and two iPad2's I'm having problems with WiFi.

I have always had trouble on my 4s with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on. I suggest you turn off Bluetooth and see if that makes a difference (if you have not already, of course).

A.

Justafrogg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
And those that have had no major issues with iOS 8 do not merely make up a "lucky" few, as you've implied. Rather than dismiss those experiences out of hand as some dumb luck, maybe a place to start to find a solution would be those whose devices were successfully updated. How did they do the update? What are their phone settings? What router do they use? etc. Just a thought. :cool:

As I've said numerous times, I have 4 devices that all have issues with iOS 8. I'm connecting to more than one router during the day. My devices were working fine with iOS 7. You yourself have spent many hours today responding to other people like myself who are also having problems.

Once again, just because you are not experiencing problems with iOS 8 it doesn't mean that others are not.

This is the last post that I'm making on this thread. Have at it.

----------

Perhaps in such cases it is best to say nothing? Abraham Lincoln comes to mind.

I have always had trouble on my 4s with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on. I suggest you turn off Bluetooth and see if that makes a difference (if you have not already, of course).

A.

Thanks Alrescha, I'll give it a shot.

Justafrogg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
As I've said numerous times, I have 4 devices that all have issues with iOS 8. I'm connecting to more than one router during the day. My devices were working fine with iOS 7. You yourself have spent many hours today responding to other people like myself who are also having problems.

Once again, just because you are not experiencing problems with iOS 8 it doesn't mean that others are not.

This is the last post that I'm making on this thread. Have at it.

----------

Thanks Alrescha, I'll give it a shot.

Turning off Bluetooth does indeed speed it up. With the OOKLA Speedtest it doubles my speed. Thanks again for the tip. I'll try it on my other devices today. :eek:)

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Turning off Bluetooth does indeed speed it up. With the OOKLA Speedtest it doubles my speed. Thanks again for the tip. I'll try it on my other devices today. :eek:)

Glad I could help. Funny thing: if it is actually paired and connected with a Bluetooth device, my phone seems much happier.

In case it matters, my iPhone 4S also hates wireless networks with hidden SSIDs. It is practically non-functional on a hidden network - it sort of works, but speed is poor and the battery life is dismal. I switched to a visible network and it was like night and day.

A.

n.b.: these are not iOS 8-specific problems, they are just things I have learned about my particular 4s over the years.

Last edited:

rawlus

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2009
Boston
A few settings that can be more specific than a hard reboot.

Settings>iCloud>Safari. Deselect safari backup

On iPad also deselect bookmark bar and favorites menu. Turning of suggestions and other pre-fetch features will speed up safari.

Typing lag used to be associated with iCloud Documents & Data setting.

Basically the less things you are asking safari to do beyond searching your keyword, the better responsiveness of the app. Try turning off any of the features you don't really need.

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK

----------

Best solution I found was when Apple gave me a replacement iPad Air with
7 installed. All wifi problems gone. Magic!

Justafrogg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Glad I could help. Funny thing: if it is actually paired and connected with a Bluetooth device, my phone seems much happier.

In case it matters, my iPhone 4S also hates wireless networks with hidden SSIDs. It is practically non-functional on a hidden network - it sort of works, but speed is poor and the battery life is dismal. I switched to a visible network and it was like night and day.

A.

n.b.: these are not iOS 8-specific problems, they are just things I have learned about my particular 4s over the years.

My 4s is still working better with Bluetooth turned off. My iPad2 doesn't care.... It lags on pretty much everything. It's too bad that it's not the other way around. I've got new 6 Pluses coming but I'm keeping my iPads for another year or two.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.