Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Indeed! For me, 'Here Comes the Sun' is intimately associated with a particular part of my childhood. At this time in my life I started to come to grips with the idea that the world was far more diverse and varied than I had experienced. It wasn't that I was ignorant of that fact per se, but, rather, I realized I wasn't actually bound to a particular way of living, thinking, or being, which was previously a source of internal conflict. Abbey Road was on repeat, and 'Here Comes the Sun' hit home (even if it was a bit on the nose).

I delight in listening to it these days, but it also fills me with melancholy, nostalgia (ironic for a time in my life that was largely unhappy), and sometimes deep contemplation. It isn't a song I can idly listen to...

I think what constantly surprises (and yes, delights) me is just how consistently good the entire album is. Every other Beatles' album has stand out tracks, some that are so-so, and a few utterly forgettable numbers.

Even the 'White' album, which I love, and think their best, is not as consistent as 'Abbey Road' when one considers the entire output on the pair of albums which comprised the 'White' album. And then there was Sgt Pepper's , which is the album which comes closest to Abbey Road in terms of sheer sustained consistent quality throughout the entire album; however, while consistent in the level of quality of its tracks, Sgt Pepper's has not yet quite reached that peak of musical development and maturity that was reached with both the 'White' album (most of it), and Abbey Road, (all of it).

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I think what constantly surprises (and yes, delights) me is just how consistently good the entire album is. Every other Beatles' album has stand out tracks, some that are so-so, and a few utterly forgettable numbers.

Even the 'White' album, which I love, and think their best, is not as consistent as 'Abbey Road' when one considers the entire output on the pair of albums which comprised the 'White' album. And then there was Sgt Pepper's , which is the album which comes closest to Abbey Road in terms of sheer sustained consistent quality throughout the entire album; however, while consistent in the level of quality of its tracks, Sgt Pepper's has not yet quite reached that peak of musical development and maturity that was reached with both the 'White' album (most of it), and Abbey Road, (all of it).

You really make it far too easy to agree with you. ;)

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009

I think Sgt Pepper is their best album, and it is definitely my favorite. The fact that strawberry fields forever and penny lane were released as singles (albeit during the sgt pepper sessions) seals the deal for me.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
You get so tired (well, I do, sometimes) of Vivaldi - specifically, the well known piece which is Vivaldi's "Four Season's"; even more precisely, the endless playing of the piece of music - the first of four on the 'Four Season's', the piece called 'Spring'.

Yes, it is lovely. But I prefer some of the others…..in fact, I rather like 'Summer', (as conceived by Vivaldi) and, just now, I am listening to the 'Largo', perhaps, better known as 'Winter'….a piece I actually love, even though, normally, I detest the season called 'winter'…..

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
While I'm not a fan at all of the Nashville Hit Machine, I have to admit that Kenny Chesney's remake of Bruce Springsteen's One Step Up is absolutely stunning. It even got Bruce's applause for it. Kenny needs to do more of this.

Ray Charles was right with regards to country music; it is amazing when they tell stories, and while Bruce isn't country by any means, they both make you live the story they are singing. Here's both versions. Enjoy.

BL.

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2014
Listening to classical music and Lana Del Rey's latest album "Ultraviolence" which I think is one of the best pop albums I have heard lately.

Also some rap music from Cormega/Large Pro and Damu the Fudgemunk which I am digging.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Given that albertfallickwa and mobilehaathi have both indicated a liking for the music of J. S. Bach, it seemed me to be appropriate to continue with the theme of Baroque music.

Thus, I am listening to the piece of music formally called "Coronotion Anthem No 1", but, also, perhaps better known as "Zadoc the Priest" by G. F. Handel.

Last edited:

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Given that albertfallickwa and mobilehaathi have both indicated a liking for the music of J. S. Bach, it seemed me to be appropriate to continue with the theme of Baroque music.

Thus, I am listening to the piece of music formally called "Coronotion Anthem No 1", but, also, perhaps better known as "Zadoc the Priest" by G. F. Handel.

wow, you guys.. break out the classical in me now!

Listening to Bach and Handel reminded me of my days in Concert Band in high school and college. I was 1st chair bassoon (still have my bassoon to this very day).

Anyway, during my 10th and 12th grade years, our conductor had us play (what I thought was his favourite piece of music) John Barnes Chance's Variations on a Korean Folk Song. I really liked this piece, to the point where I would play the main theme on my children's recorder for them at night (plus it got me into playing Clarinet). But I loved the low woodwinds in this.

Enjoy!

BL.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene

Listening to Bach and Handel reminded me of my days in Concert Band in high school and college. I was 1st chair bassoon (still have my bassoon to this very day).

Anyway, during my 10th and 12th grade years, our conductor had us play (what I thought was his favourite piece of music) John Barnes Chance's Variations on a Korean Folk Song. I really liked this piece, to the point where I would play the main theme on my children's recorder for them at night (plus it got me into playing Clarinet). But I loved the low woodwinds in this.

Enjoy!

YouTube: video

BL.

Oh, that was great, thank you!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Enjoy!

YouTube: video

BL.

Oh, that was great, thank you!

Agree completely.

BL: That was great, thoroughly enjoyed it, thanks for posting it and sharing with us.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.