Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nnacrumors

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2014
Count me among the excited. Does anyone know if the new z3c will have tap to wake or swipe to wake built in? I know you can do a custom kernel, but that's not really my bag.

Found it (I assume this will be the same for the Z3 and Z3 Compact):
http://www.androidbeat.com/2014/06/enable-double-tap-wake-xperia-z2/
The Xperia Z2 is a no-nonsense Android phone that cuts down on all the gimmicks found on the Galaxy S5 and the LG G3. Sony, instead, has added only those features that are genuinely useful in day to day life. Once such feature is Double tap to wake, which makes it extremely easy to wake up the device from sleep by simply tapping on the display twice.

However, for some strange reason, the feature is disabled by default on the Z2 and Sony does not even advertise it to make the general consumers aware of its presence. Since the feature is buried in the Settings menu, chances are most Z2 owners would never even come across it.

On your Xperia Z2, head over to Settings -> Display and enable the Tap to wake up option present near the bottom of the list. Keep in mind that enabling this option will increase the standby drain on the handset. However, the Z2 already has the best battery life amongst these year flagship devices so this should not really be much of an issue.

Attachments

• Xperia_z2_double_tap_wakeup.jpg
    Xperia_z2_double_tap_wakeup.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 146

danakin

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
Toronto
Avoid The Verge if you can. Once Josh Topolsky stopped doing reviews and started handing more of the chores to the Apple fanboy, David Pierce, The Verge started getting worse. I even read The Verge fawning over the new Moto X and proclaiming it possibly the best Android ever made! And the article wasn't from David Pierce. This is the same site that said Godzilla (2014) was a great movie which wasn't when I saw it. All I get from The Verge is how much they love form factor, metal design, blah blah blah. I still have them on my BlinkFeed but I stopped watching their phone reviews when predictably David Pierce put iPhone 5s as #1 when he did a ranking list last summer. It is the same fawning PhoneDog and TechRadar do for HTC Ones or when Business Insider put 5s as #1.

I suggest GSMArena, Android Authority with Josh Vergara, and PocketNow specifically with Michael Fisher. The latter might be one of the best phone reviewers out there. He is very objective and doesn't sugarcoat things. And he is nice sense of humor and great voice. Read his bio since he has done theater & voice work. Also Ash from C4ETech is very good. He is an Indian guy who speaks very well. And he gets to review phones that rarely make it Stateside.

Agree with Android Authority and Pocket Now daily, great You Tube channels, they are also capable of getting the specs right, for instance a fair few other sites out there proclaimed the Z3 tablet had a 1080p resolution instead of 1200, and then compared the screen to its competitors :rolleyes: yeah real professional.
Loved Android Authority's drop tests and Pocket Now after the buzz. Also a brilliant review You Tube channel is Mobiletechreview they do great in depth product reviews.

I don't mind David Pierce, however, I feel a reviewer should park their preferences at the door when evaluating a device and this is an area where he falls short.
Vlad Savov does a fine job and brings a measured tone that doesn't smack of shilling; Dieter Bohn should spend some time shadowing Vlad and take notes.

The site definitely hasn't been the same since Josh downloaded the flagship reviews to the others. Only Vlad is in his league now.

It's a shame because, while I still visit the site, I remember how good a tech-site it was 2.5 - 3 years ago. It really bottomed out about 6 months ago and lately I've seen signs of a tech pulse. Hopefully Nilay can bring it back.

Oh, and the Z3 Compact is brilliant (as long as Sony didn't drop the ball in any one crucial area - keeping fingers crossed)!!!

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
No but I do like the name. Very feminine. Sounds like makeup:D

It's good for those who like small devices though as it is the only smaller mainstream android device with flagship specs.

nnacrumors

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2014
Jesus, look at the gigantic phone that some people are lusting after today :rolleyes:

(click on the attached picture below to see it in real size)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-09 at 10.30.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-09 at 10.30.07 PM.png
    948 KB · Views: 178

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
Jesus, look at the gigantic phone that some people are lusting after today :rolleyes:

(click on the attached picture below to see it in real size)

I am very excited about the Z3 Compact. I had a Z1C for a couple of months. Liked everything about it other than the missing LTE band 17 which is used by AT&T in my area. I just sold it after the Z3C announcement. Can't wait to get my hands on it. Did Sony announcement the price on it yet?

That is a great tool from Phonearena!

Why couldn't Apple make the body of the iPhone 6 smaller? Is it their obsession with being thin? The G2 has a 5.2" screen, same body size as the 6. The Z3 Compact houses a 4.6" in a body just a bit bigger than the 5s.

The irony is that I'm even more impressed with the Z3C after the announcement of the iPhone 6 lol.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-10 at 8.18.27 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-09-10 at 8.18.27 AM.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 144
  • Screen Shot 2014-09-10 at 8.23.41 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-09-10 at 8.23.41 AM.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 232

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Yeah the Z3 Compact is very impressive, have to say.

If you take eco-systems out of the equation, it's clearly a better phone than the iPhone 6.

JAlvi

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2014
Just ordered from clove. Will use it and compare against my ip6. Never used an android so it should be interesting. Seems like my dream phone.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I think Sony Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact are the only two devices I would sell both my current phones to get one of them. I asked the saleslady at the Xperia store and they still have no idea when it will be released. Hopefully by November as Sony rarely delays it here. I really like the bigger Z3 because of higher RAM, metal and more rounded frame, and the overall dimensions with its 0.5 bigger display is fine with me. Some PS4 games would have resolution loss if it were 1080p.

I still might keep both my phones because I prefer having two phones in case I lose one or it gets stolen. Perhaps if I was back in US where most people have only one cell phone number is when I might reconsider it again. But by early next year, the Z4 gets announced at CES. The biannual flagship releases is a bit of a turn off for me. Keep it simple, Mr. Hirai.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
Forget the States, give something to Canada! :p

Seriously, we get nothing for phones. Each time I look forward to a new model, it isn't available here, and the bands often don't support it so I can't order it online.

This had better come, along with the Nokia 830. I think I'd rather a Windows 8.1 Phone than Android, but this Sony looks like it fits the bill just right.

Waterproof and excellent camera are great features.

FWIW, I was in the Sony store a couple of weeks ago and he told me that both the Compact and the Z3 would be coming to their store (Ottawa). So there is hope.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
FWIW, I was in the Sony store a couple of weeks ago and he told me that both the Compact and the Z3 would be coming to their store (Ottawa). So there is hope.

Thanks, that's where I am. Hopefully it happens, although to be honest I'm not sure if I can be bothered to wait forever for it. The secrecy of all these companies does wear on me when it actually comes time to buying things.

Still waiting on the Nokia 830/930 to come to Canada, which they supposedly plan to... but again...

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Xperia Z3 Compact - The mighty, little KING of STAMINA

Yeah, I'm pretty excited. Like I mentioned before, I might want the bigger Z3 more just because of more RAM, metal frame, and it fits perfectly in my holster case reserved for my Mi 3 which is only 2mm shorter.

But I don't feel you could go wrong with either Z3 or Z3C. They are both fantastic. If the price difference is bigger than I would like, then I could settle with the little brother with more stamina.

At least no flame wars like the juvenile iPhone 6 vs 6 Plus threads ridiculing each other's choices. And SONY didn't jip us on RAM and battery capacity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.