Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhone 6 Plus or iPhone 5s + iPad Mini Retina?

• iPhone 6 Plus 64gb

Votes: 55 66.3%
  • iPhone 5s 64gb + iPad Mini Retina 32gb

Votes: 28 33.7%

• Total voters

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
I currently have an iPhone 5s 64gb and an iPad Mini Retina. To get an iPhone 6 Plus, I'd have to basically sell both of those and use the 6 Plus as my only device.

Which would you rather have? The 6 Plus or 5s+Mini Retina? Thx!

HoosBruce

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
I have a 5S and an iPad Air and am considering selling both to hop to the 6+...I love my iPad, but it's something I can live without. Having the larger screen phone and a MBP should be just fine for me. I will head to an Apple store this weekend and check out the 6+ to either confirm or bust my current decision. But that is where Im leaning right now.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
I have a 5S and an iPad Air and am considering selling both to hop to the 6+...I love my iPad, but it's something I can live without. Having the larger screen phone and a MBP should be just fine for me. I will head to an Apple store this weekend and check out the 6+ to either confirm or bust my current decision. But that is where Im leaning right now.

I'm just concerned that reading Kindle books on the 6 Plus would be a bit small compared to the iPad Mini Retina. Super high resolution though which would be nice.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
2 weeks later now and after many of us have used these new phones, what do you think is the better choice of these two?

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
I tried the iPad Air when it came out. Very nice, but the retina mini was sharp and easier to hold/use for me.

I've been trying out as iPhone 6 a bit (the non-plus version...my wife loves it) and for 1-hand texting and jogging, it is noticeably different than the 5s. Not terrible, but not as small and portable (I know...duh!). I just am a bit concerned about portability and handling of the 6 Plus. Or would I just get used to it?

Going with only the 6 Plus though would have the benefit of having more storage space on a single device that has unlimited LTE/4G for me per my wireless data plan. Having 2 separate devices though is nicer since I'd have 2 batteries to kill when on a plane and traveling.

Why couldn't Apple just have come out with ONE new size?!?!?! :)

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Ditched the retina mini and 5s for the 6 plus

The 6 plus has been the perfect mobile device (for my needs) that I have no need for an iPad anymore. Incredible battery life, an amazing camera, great for watching for videos, and playing games - oh and it makes phone calls too.

The 6 plus is my mobile monster while my retina MBP is my workhorse

Perfect combo

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
6+ over the 5s. But the iPad can be something you use whether or not you have the 6+ or not, there's still a valid case for it because browsing on a wider screen device is so much better than not having it.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I use a 6+ as my primary device, when the 6+ is charging i use my ipad mini retina and keep the 5s as a backup phone! Which ever combination you get you'll be good

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I'm just concerned that reading Kindle books on the 6 Plus would be a bit small compared to the iPad Mini Retina. Super high resolution though which would be nice.

The 6 Plus is just about exactly half the size of a Kindle Paperwhite.

Which raises the possibility of a Kindle Paperwhite. Under a hundred bones. You should get one. Best way to read a book short of reading a book IMO.

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
After using the 6+ for a week, I haven't had the need to use my iPad mini retina. I also already finished reading one book through the 6+. I'm an avid reader and after trying all the iPad's and Kindle's, I think the 6+ is the perfect device for me to read on because it's always with me.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
I have the 5s and mini retina. NOTHING can replace the mini. I love the plus but I wouldn't replace the mini. I decided I'm going to keep the mini at home and the plus will be my phablet on the go.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
The Plus has greatly decreased the need for me to bring my Mini with me when I go out. Web browsing is not quite as good as the Mini, but it's far far better than it was on the iPhone 5s. The Plus is also surprisingly good for reading books.

I'm certain the mini will still be better when it comes to reading certain websites or magazines. Also, especially better at gaming. I'm not sure exactly what to do with my mini yet ... i presume that will become clear as I use the Plus more and more news about the next generation of Mini releases. Right now, the information is so sparse that it's hard to get excited about upgrading.

PegasusTenma

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
Wait, wait. I've had my iphone+ for a while now and I already got use to the screen so I don't see it so massive. When I come home I still use my ipad to browse, music, etc. for the comodity of the screen size and the battery duration.

I wouldn't change an ipad for a smaller screen. You'd end up regretting it. Unless you don't use your ipad much.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014

Which raises the possibility of a Kindle Paperwhite. Under a hundred bones. You should get one. Best way to read a book short of reading a book IMO.

I have an iPad, a 6 Plus, and a Paperwhite. Between the iPad and the Paperwhite, I prefer the Paperwhite. I don't need to go into why eink is better for sustained reading. But between the Paperwhite and the 6 Plus, I use the 6 Plus way more. Why? Because it's always with me. And I know it's already charged. I know I can sync the books anytime, and download new ones without worrying about being connected to wifi (or dealing with the super slow connections trying to navigate a store or menus on an eink screen). The text looks fantastic on the 6 Plus screen, and I don't have to scrunch it up to my face to make it readable. The 6 Plus has me reading more again, because I can pull it out anytime I have a free moment and read a few paragraphs or a chapter out of a book. It's great for that.

If you're reading ebooks at home, I highly recommend a dedicated eink e-reader, but if you read them mainly on the go, the 6 Plus is the perfect device for it.

As for an iPad and phone vs just the phone, it depends on your usage. I have an iPad Air and I'm not giving it up even though I have the Plus because the size difference is significant and it's perfect for reading comic books. I read a ton of comics, and the Air is close to the original print size, so I can read them with little compromise. I can't do that on any other device that runs iOS currently.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Looks like most are recommending that I just drop the extra cash and get an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus along with my iPad. Just a lot of cash to tie up between the two devices! :)

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I currently have an iPhone 5s 64gb and an iPad Mini Retina. To get an iPhone 6 Plus, I'd have to basically sell both of those and use the 6 Plus as my only device.

Which would you rather have? The 6 Plus or 5s+Mini Retina? Thx!

You may ask yourself some questions:

Do you carry the iPad with you all the time?
Which apps do you use on your iPad mini?
How often do you need to surf the web on your iPad mini?

iPhone 6+ is not a tablet replacement. Maybe you can avoid carrying the iPad with you, but is really up to you and your daily usage of your iDevices.

I was temped to get the mini and take it with me all the time and stick with my iphone 5, then I changed my mind and bought the iPhone 6 (not the plus). I have an iPad and perhaps I'll get new iPad Air or a Mini, but just for using it at home.
But I don't need to check webpages so often, I usually read email but answer to them with a short reply when I'm not at my desk and although I love iPad-made apps I don't really need them when I'm commuting. So iPhone is the best choice for me

Sparkeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
Indiana

I think I need a kindle for dedicated reading. I hate getting notifications that interrupt my reading lol.

I voted 5S and iPad because the 5S is still a very current phone and the iPhone 6+ is not an iPad mini replacement for me.

ZhenyaF

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I had the same dilemma. I decided to sell my iphone 5 and iPad mini retina for 6+ and kindle paperwhite. Still keeping iPad air

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.